Ski Acres

Ski Acres

April 11th, 2008, 3:30 pm #1

Anyone interested in the old days of Ski Acres can check these pic's out. I'm working on an archiving project...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skiacres

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

iflyfar
iflyfar

April 11th, 2008, 3:51 pm #2

What an amazing collection. Would love to see a similar collection of summit and alpental. Thank you for the great post!

April 11th, 2008, 5:44 pm #3

This is just a start. I have much more to add. Mrs Tanner kept scrapbooks and photo collection over the years and I'm going to be making the collection available for the public to see as per their request. It is a fun project!

Last edited by hyak on April 11th, 2008, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iflyfar
iflyfar

April 11th, 2008, 5:54 pm #4

Great to hear. Thank you for compiling jack.

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

April 12th, 2008, 1:07 am #5

Anyone interested in the old days of Ski Acres can check these pic's out. I'm working on an archiving project...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skiacres

That picture shows the old Jump Hill... which was awesome. Some still use it, but there are so many tree now between it and triple-60 (the old single-chair in the distance).

I love the collection, including the pictures of Osborn and Ulland.

April 16th, 2008, 2:26 am #6

Great to hear. Thank you for compiling jack.
Thank you Jack for your many efforts !
Seeing the past brings back lost memories. That feeling is priceless !
Best of wishes,
cja

April 16th, 2008, 12:00 pm #7

That picture shows the old Jump Hill... which was awesome. Some still use it, but there are so many tree now between it and triple-60 (the old single-chair in the distance).

I love the collection, including the pictures of Osborn and Ulland.
Wow, what a treat! Seeing all those pictures really took me back! Especially the ones with the rope tows - it brought back fond memories of 1967, when I spent an entire season learning to ski and riding rope tows. The old maps of Ski Acres mention a single ride on the chairlift that was for sale. I vividly remember paying one dollar for a single ride on the old "Blue Jay" chair at Stevens - it was my first ride on a chairlift and I was petrified.

I was interested in the pictures of the T-bar... I don't remember that Ski Acres had a T-bar.

Steve Crutchfield

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

April 17th, 2008, 2:41 am #8

I guess you are I both too young to remember the Pomas and T-bars at Ski Acres and Snoqualmie Summit. The Poma towers were still at the Summit when I was skiing, but no Pomas. Same thing at Central:Towers but no lifts.

I DO remember riding the T-bar at Crystal, and the Poma at Alpental... but best of all were the OLD rope tows at Crystal and Baker. The Austin Pass Tow (in 4th gear turning 3,500+ rpm) was FUUNN!! Skiers (before the boarders took over) turning at the bottom of the lift created a bobsled-type rut that would lead to the lift. If enough people begged them to, the lifties would get that lift REALLY spinning... you could go uphill almost as fast as down... good luck starting without burning a glove or tearing your shoulder out of the socket though.

Perhaps I can come up with some old pictures of Baker... I'll ask.

Snoqualmie Guy
Snoqualmie Guy

April 17th, 2008, 3:07 am #9

I haven't seen any towers that size but a few grinds in Central Park are made from either the old T-bar or the poma's, they are just the right size.

April 17th, 2008, 3:54 am #10

I guess you are I both too young to remember the Pomas and T-bars at Ski Acres and Snoqualmie Summit. The Poma towers were still at the Summit when I was skiing, but no Pomas. Same thing at Central:Towers but no lifts.

I DO remember riding the T-bar at Crystal, and the Poma at Alpental... but best of all were the OLD rope tows at Crystal and Baker. The Austin Pass Tow (in 4th gear turning 3,500+ rpm) was FUUNN!! Skiers (before the boarders took over) turning at the bottom of the lift created a bobsled-type rut that would lead to the lift. If enough people begged them to, the lifties would get that lift REALLY spinning... you could go uphill almost as fast as down... good luck starting without burning a glove or tearing your shoulder out of the socket though.

Perhaps I can come up with some old pictures of Baker... I'll ask.
Where was the poma at Alpental? I skied there the opening season, and it wasn't there.