Silver Firs

Silver Firs

EdS
EdS

August 23rd, 2008, 4:56 pm #1

Was up on the dirt bike yesterday to the top of SF, a couple of guys still working late friday afternoon, looks like they are finishing the rebar install in the forms before pouring the foundation for the top station. All the towers are down. Still grading at the bottom. Suprisingly riding around up behind Central there is still patches of snow in the woods, amazing its lasted almost to september!

Bergschlawiner
Bergschlawiner

September 7th, 2008, 5:15 am #2

Been watching this construction sork and anyone can see that at the rate they are progressing there is no way in hell that this new quad will be up and running by the time of the snow. Ain't no way! Towers laying on ground, bolts cut with torch, no sign of any new support buildings, nothing. Does anyone think otherwise?

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

September 7th, 2008, 1:50 pm #3

Perhaps the whole Boyne organization is otherwise occupied at the moment. If they decide to throw Company Resources at the issue, there could be a huge gang up there quickly. Throw enough people and equipment at the problem and you could have a lift standing in no-time.

However, maybe they have reasons for being side-tracked at the moment: Wanting to sell lots, and/or LP not being ready to ship the new lift just yet. Why work on things that you can't finish?

Or maybe the Sierra Club (in its infinite wisdom) has found yet another way to stall things even at the 11:59 hour...

I'm not a Company Guy, I'm just guessin'

mel
mel

September 7th, 2008, 9:48 pm #4

Well, more work has been done on the lower parking lot at Hyak. It has been nicely graded and there was some left over pipes used for a drainage system. There are still some holes and work to be done.

It seems to me that there are several springs around Hyak. Out on the hill, under the lower lot and maybe in the lot being developed next to the two parking lots. Does any one know more about the springs?

September 8th, 2008, 2:54 am #5

Been watching this construction sork and anyone can see that at the rate they are progressing there is no way in hell that this new quad will be up and running by the time of the snow. Ain't no way! Towers laying on ground, bolts cut with torch, no sign of any new support buildings, nothing. Does anyone think otherwise?
If you look at the photo's I took back in 1999 for the other HSQ at Central you will see they are actually ahead of where they were back then. This photo taken on September 27, 1999 shows the landing dug and the old riblets had still yet to be removed. They didn't get the new landing in until the first part of October.

http://hyak.net/cam9899/92798.html

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

Erik
Erik

September 8th, 2008, 3:32 am #6

I think they will get it done because Poma has the experience doing this and they have the most to gain/lose. Remember that it is the Poma guys, not just the locals doing this build up.
1) They do this at least 8 times a summer, every summer. This ain't their first rodeo.
2) They probably don't receive full payment until the lift is up and running. At least, I would pay them until they were done.

Unless the weather gets very freaky and they can't work, we will be enjoying the (short) ride up to SF before Xmas.

September 8th, 2008, 4:45 pm #7

I have built a few chairlifts for Riblet back in the days...a lot of ground work has to go on...everytime we built in a ski town...people would ask us what are you doing we see no progress...thats because we are digging holes for new towers, etc. once they start to fly concrete and towers the work goes pretty quick....

Aloha!

September 8th, 2008, 5:08 pm #8

If you look at the photo's I took back in 1999 for the other HSQ at Central you will see they are actually ahead of where they were back then. This photo taken on September 27, 1999 shows the landing dug and the old riblets had still yet to be removed. They didn't get the new landing in until the first part of October.

http://hyak.net/cam9899/92798.html

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997
IF ski lift construction is similar to commercial building construction (which it may not be) then the foundation and utility work will take a lot more time than you would think. In fact, in most construction excavation and foundations and utility work are about 1/3 of the total time.

Peter
Peter

September 8th, 2008, 8:26 pm #9

I have built a few chairlifts for Riblet back in the days...a lot of ground work has to go on...everytime we built in a ski town...people would ask us what are you doing we see no progress...thats because we are digging holes for new towers, etc. once they start to fly concrete and towers the work goes pretty quick....

Aloha!
Remember last year Crystal flew the towers for Northway on November 5th and it was still done in mid December. At this point last year they were done with the bottom station foundations and about half the tower foundations. They also did not even break ground for the drive station until September 17th and the bottom station was assembled by helicopter on September 9th.

September 10th, 2008, 7:55 pm #10

would enjoy watching the concrete and towers get flown in anyone driven by to ask the crew when that might be?

Aloha!