Rockdale

Rockdale

January 20th, 2009, 4:36 pm #1

Amazing that the other end of the Hyak train tunnel used to have so many buildings, but you can't really see any trace of them today. Saw this PC on ebay so thought I'd share...

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

EdS
EdS

January 20th, 2009, 7:57 pm #2

I have seen photos of that area but thats the best I have seen so far. Yeah, its amazing that its just thick, immature forest now. You would have no idea there was anything there at all, the NW forests, rain and snow really have an ability to erase old twons and structres pretty quick.

January 21st, 2009, 4:05 am #3

Amazing that the other end of the Hyak train tunnel used to have so many buildings, but you can't really see any trace of them today. Saw this PC on ebay so thought I'd share...

That really is neat, Jack. Thanks for sharing it. I wonder if there are more like it out there.

January 21st, 2009, 6:35 am #4

Here is a winter view

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

January 21st, 2009, 2:57 pm #5

Great photo. I especially like that what appears to be an outhouse is in the upper frame. I've always wondered why there were such large settlings in Rockdale and Tye (the end of the Stevens Pass tunnel). I'm not a rail road guy, but it seems like a huge workforce. Did the trains/tracks/tunnel require THAT much repair?

January 21st, 2009, 4:48 pm #6

Remember that these photo's are of Rockdale before the tunnel. After the tunnel was completed it seems that is when the need for Rockdale diminished. Laconia was the station on top of Snoqualmie Pass prior to the tunnel and with the completion of the tunnel Hyak was born, replacing Laconia and eventually Rockdale. The original Summit Inn (as seen in postcards) was left over from Laconia, originally called Holdens Hotel and the cabins were old train station living quarters.

January 22nd, 2009, 8:10 am #7

Great photo. I especially like that what appears to be an outhouse is in the upper frame. I've always wondered why there were such large settlings in Rockdale and Tye (the end of the Stevens Pass tunnel). I'm not a rail road guy, but it seems like a huge workforce. Did the trains/tracks/tunnel require THAT much repair?
You should read the book "The White Cascade" its about the Wellington avalanche, but it gives some good insight about the railroads around here at that time and how they were run.

January 23rd, 2009, 5:14 pm #8

Are these photos looking to the West, with Denny in the background?

January 23rd, 2009, 5:51 pm #9

This is the west portal of the Hyak tunnel (before the tunnel existed). Denny mtn is east of here and that peak shown in the photo is maybe Silver Peak? I'll have to look at a map to be sure. I did a google map search and the A shows where Rockdale is located. If you figure a direct line between Hyak and Rockdale, that would be the Hyak tunnel.

Last edited by hyak on January 23rd, 2009, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erik
Erik

January 23rd, 2009, 6:28 pm #10

Are these photos looking to the West, with Denny in the background?
...would be my guess.