Pilchuck pictures

Pilchuck pictures

July 2nd, 2005, 3:18 am #1

Finally made it up to Pilchuck for some hiking and to hopefully find some remnants of the ski area. I skied at Pilchuck in the mid-70's but I was too young to remember going there. I found a lot of the remains of the upper lift towers and the ruins of the lift buildings from the top of the upper lift. I wandered around a lot at the base but couldn't find much there; just the occaisonal electrical wire sticking out of the ground and an abandoned haul rope lying on the ground. I also hoped to find some of the bottom lift, but couldn't find anything. I suspect the area where the lower lift was has become rather overgrown with brush. Here are a few of the pictures.

July 2nd, 2005, 4:29 am #2

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. I'll add these to the website when I get a chance if that's ok.

July 2nd, 2005, 4:04 pm #3

You're more than welcome to use the pictures.

Last edited by whippet2 on July 2nd, 2005, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 10th, 2005, 4:16 am #4

Steve, just wondering on the last photo. Is it a photo of the upper ski runs that have since overgrown with trees, or the lower runs? Just want to make sure.....
Last edited by hyak on July 10th, 2005, 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 10th, 2005, 7:07 am #5

The last picture was taken from the bottom and seems to correspond somewhat to the photo on the lost ski areas page of Pilchuck showing the big open area at the bottom of the upper lift. I had hoped to find some indication (remnants) of the base station, but the flat area at the bottom has several creeks and swampy areas and is also very overgrown with brush in areas. There were some indications of ski area around the base, namely random wires and pieces of wood that were remnants from past structures. After finding the cut off lift tower bases up top, I toyed with the idea of following the lift line to the bottom, but there are some extremely steep sections of the line and it would have been impossible to follow it all the way.

Ryan
Ryan

August 3rd, 2005, 3:54 am #6

Is this to the left of hyak ski area?

August 3rd, 2005, 4:54 am #7

No, the Mt Pilchuck ski area was east of Everett. It operated from aprox. 1955 -1978 (don't remember the dates exactly) and closed after a poor snow season.

It was actually a park, owned by our wonderful government which decided to close the area. I did not snowboard in those days so I never visited the area, but it seems the snow was much like Snoqualmie with the low elevation and a bit more rain then most of the other areas....

http://hyak.net/lost

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

August 3rd, 2005, 6:02 pm #8

Pilchuck has always had its own micro-climate. Sometimes the snow was far superior to Stevens (the closest area), but often it was wetter. The biggest problem was access though. It is a long winding drive to the middle of nowhere to get there. When Dan Evans was Gov, he (being a skier himself) helped many areas, including Pilchuck. That is why there is a paved road to the area.

I doubt the area EVER made money though, especially after 1973 (oil crisis), and a couple of bad snow years.

They basically shut due to lack of interest.

August 3rd, 2005, 11:07 pm #9

I read somewhere that Dixie Lee Ray did her best to help put the area to rest. From what I remember in the article, the area closed following the horrible 76/77 snow year and that concessionair decided to quit (the area itself was not privatly owned, but owned by the state). There was a group that was trying to get it back open in '79 or so but Dixie put an end to that and it was never re-opened. I need to find the article where I read this because the details are kind of vague, but this is pretty much how I remember it.
Last edited by hyak on August 4th, 2005, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

August 4th, 2005, 8:11 am #10