Out of Bounds

Out of Bounds

Voly
Voly

January 31st, 2011, 8:28 am #1

The area is taking a hard line with the eastern area boundary. It is against State law to cross a rope line, and the paid staff is planning on making it clear thier intention to enforce the rules, to prevent liability. You won't get chased, but you will be ID'd and your pass revoked for a period of time (depending on attitude). Sneak well and turn your coat perhaps, we'll make it a game. Just don't make me go looking for you in a tree well, please.

It's not so much for the informed and capable, but for the less-so who will toss themselves off one of the cliffs. Consistent enforcement of the rule does not favor or discriminate.

January 31st, 2011, 1:05 pm #2

I am sure you mean the southern boundary since the base to HV runs east/west. That area wouldn't be all that good now anyway with these low snow conditions. Hopefully we'll get some feb/march dumps and make it worthwhile. I usually ride that stuff during the week anyway, or after the lifts stop running for the season. The ski area didn't help themselves any by clearing out trees along the south boarder making OB access into the bowl all the more easy to do. There are not really any cliffs in that area to speak of, but lots of trees to navigate if you don't know your way through.

Here is a view to the south from the peak just before our descent (2008).

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997
Last edited by hyak on January 31st, 2011, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

both barrels
both barrels

January 31st, 2011, 4:05 pm #3

There is no difference between going to that area and touring out to Catherine. None. This should be fun.

Better load it
Better load it

January 31st, 2011, 4:54 pm #4

Considerable difference actually.
One abuts a ski area boundary rope line directly with immediate access via gravity.
The other cannot be access unless you are actually set up to ascend it.

slaves...
slaves...

January 31st, 2011, 5:17 pm #5

to the lawyers.

January 31st, 2011, 5:35 pm #6

I doubt there will be many looking to duck ropes the first weekend of lift operation, and especially in such cr@p snow conditions. Everyone will be more into checking the new in-bounds runs in HV and just riding the mtn. Very few people in the past head off to the south side, at least that is how it has been in the past. Bringing up the issue now only makes Hyak newbies more curious, and it is usually the newbies you need to worry about.

not the droids
not the droids

January 31st, 2011, 5:40 pm #7

they built two chairs strait to the zone. it's over. fun while it lasted tho.

January 31st, 2011, 7:07 pm #8

I doubt there will be many looking to duck ropes the first weekend of lift operation, and especially in such cr@p snow conditions. Everyone will be more into checking the new in-bounds runs in HV and just riding the mtn. Very few people in the past head off to the south side, at least that is how it has been in the past. Bringing up the issue now only makes Hyak newbies more curious, and it is usually the newbies you need to worry about.
There is only one stretch along the Mt. Catherine Loop that is susceptible to avalanche. It's really pretty safe.

If you take a look at Mt. Hyak from Hidden Valley (or just wave your eyeballs at the USGS quadrangle) you'll notice cliff areas all around the south and east corners of the peak. A lil' jibber could get in trouble out there.

Mikey

joe skier
joe skier

January 31st, 2011, 8:13 pm #9

The area can not prevent you from accessing those areas if you hike to them. Hide your pass if they stop you tell them you hiked in and didn't access via the chair.....

Sully
Sully

January 31st, 2011, 10:36 pm #10

The area is taking a hard line with the eastern area boundary. It is against State law to cross a rope line, and the paid staff is planning on making it clear thier intention to enforce the rules, to prevent liability. You won't get chased, but you will be ID'd and your pass revoked for a period of time (depending on attitude). Sneak well and turn your coat perhaps, we'll make it a game. Just don't make me go looking for you in a tree well, please.

It's not so much for the informed and capable, but for the less-so who will toss themselves off one of the cliffs. Consistent enforcement of the rule does not favor or discriminate.
As a life long hyak skier of 32 years I have hiked up and skiied the the bowl left of the old dino chair for years and skiied some of the supposed out of bounds on the back side when I was jst a ski patrol brat. Is that area going to be off limits as well? I know for a fact it was the ski patrol themselves that cut the trails to get to these places and who often frequent these areas. Most of the volly's up there have a pretty good understanding and aren't going to yank your pass. Just tell someone where your going, take a partner, make sure you can handle the terrain, and let people know when you get back from OB. Take the right precuations. I think everyone is overreacting to these new out of bounds policies. As a former ski patrol brat, patroller, and racer just feel fortunate we at Hyak have such a cool bunch of patrollers. They are not a bunch of 911 wanna be's like the other areas have. They are just up there to have a good time like the rest of us and help out when someone is injured.