Opening Day

Opening Day

Snoqualmie Guy
Snoqualmie Guy

December 13th, 2008, 10:28 pm #1

My guess is next weekend. What do you think?

December 14th, 2008, 12:25 am #2

While I'd like to the think The Summit might open <em>something</em> next weekend, I'm not quite as optimistic as you.  Looking at the West and Alpental web cams, the coverage simply isn't there yet.  And looking at the forecast, the amount of snow that's coming just doesn't appear to be enough to make it happen.  The temps will certainly be low enough that they could do 24/7 snowmaking and get some runs open, but the natural snow seems to pretty much drop out of the forecast after Sunday.  Though if moisture rolls in again later in the week, I bet you've made the right call.

With the wacky weather around here I sure hope I'm wrong; would be great to start getting some turns in soon.  My Christmas shopping is done, so it's time to GO!

December 14th, 2008, 1:03 am #3

Today I saw the new SF Express running as well as the Keechelus double chair. Makes me think they might try to get nordic going soon since there is plenty of snow for that. It looked like around 16" on the ground today.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure

On the World-Wide-Web since 1997
Last edited by hyak on December 14th, 2008, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomK
TomK

December 14th, 2008, 3:33 am #4

I've seen West open with only a two foot base, so lets cross our fingers.
Whatever falls is supposedly going to stay around till the next storm blows thru too.

TomK
TomK

December 14th, 2008, 9:34 pm #5

Went up to snowshoe Silver Fir, and noticed that West had groomer tracks on the hill. A fair number of hiker/sliders were out too with fresh tracks down several of the slopes. Kinda boney though - lots of brushtips sticking out of the 2 feet or so of soft and fluffy.

December 16th, 2008, 12:41 am #6

Called a friends brother who works maintenance up there and asked why the chairs were running. His reply was heavy ice on the wheels and cables had to be turned off. Had no idea about opening. Said to wait to see what happens Wednesday.

December 16th, 2008, 10:23 pm #7

There has been grooming going on at West and Central as well as snow making at the pipe. They are also clearing the parking lots so I assume they may be getting ready to open if they get a good dump Wednesday.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

December 17th, 2008, 1:06 am #8

Did some snowshoeing this afternoon and there are, mostly covered up or blown away, tracks of grooming between Pacific Crest and Dodge Ridge but there are spots where wind has blown the snow down to only a few inches deep. Also some old grooming tracks east of Dodge. Fresh grooming under the Ski Acres Holiday lift.