Old long boards collecting dust?

Old long boards collecting dust?

MK
MK

April 5th, 2012, 6:30 pm #1

Howdy,

I know there are a few of you out there that have some old skis/long boards (210cm >) up in the rafters, down in storage or buried in the corner, the edges corroded, the bindings long since off the list of indemnification quietly hoping for another day on the snow.

I'm looking for 70's ~ 80's vintage skis, 210cm or longer.
With or without bindings is fine, as long as they can be mounted and skied again.

Whatcha got?

April 5th, 2012, 7:05 pm #2

I have some old ski's, but they are not that long.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

EdS
EdS

April 6th, 2012, 2:55 pm #3

Howdy,

I know there are a few of you out there that have some old skis/long boards (210cm >) up in the rafters, down in storage or buried in the corner, the edges corroded, the bindings long since off the list of indemnification quietly hoping for another day on the snow.

I'm looking for 70's ~ 80's vintage skis, 210cm or longer.
With or without bindings is fine, as long as they can be mounted and skied again.

Whatcha got?

I think at 210cm and up you are talking mostly old Downhill race skis, which there were never a real lot of anyway. Most of the GS skiis went to 207, maybe 210 and downhills from 210-220. I used to have some Head DH skiis that were 220s back in 1975-76, wish I had kept them, they had a white ptex base and red fade to orange topsheet. Good luck on your search!

MK
MK

April 6th, 2012, 3:26 pm #4

Thanks!

Always looking.
BTW are there any thrift stores in e-burg?

Women's DH ranged between 210 ~215cm, most of the older generation men's DH boards were 223cm,
I'm pretty sure this was standard set by FIS.
Men's super-G skies tended to be in the 215cm range.

Most of the manufactures made skis in the 210 to 212cm range.
Some were GS specific, others were more of a general category ski with a more moderate flex (K2 made the TNC in a 212cm for instance).
Even tough these would have been shorter production runs than models that were 207cm,
they still had to open a mold, profile cores, etc, which means that they end up pressing at least several hundred at a time regardless.
Multiply that out by all the manufactures that made them ( I can think of 10 off hand),
that adds up to more then a handful of skis out there.

A lot of these end up at thrift stores,
which is where we usually find them after someone has cleaned out their closet.
Sadly, some also end up getting cut up for adirondack chairs.

Too bad about those Head's, (were they HRP's?) you could join us at Long Board Day at Alpy on the 29th and ski them.
That said, I have extra's if you have boots and the will.

Barb Q.
Barb Q.

April 6th, 2012, 8:22 pm #5

My brother Jim, an old ski racer from the NW circuit (Mt. Spokane, etc.) got back into skiing last year after being away for awhile and he said he was going crazy finding all new gear from the 60's and 70's on ebay: skis, jackets, pants, so he outfitted himself and started skiing at Crystal on his usual long boards (he has about 5 pair--boots and skis--all brand new--for next to nothing) and has become known there this season as "Retro Man"!! He currently zooms around on 235's (he's quite tall too-6'4"). So Ebay has been good to him. He's quite excited to find the old gear. I tried to get him to make an appearance at Hyak, maybe next season. So try ebay--he said all his equipment was brand new, never used--he's having a blast--loves the long boards. Maybe "Retro Man" will show up at Hyak next season--we'll surely all know him by his long boards!!!