No Lift Work

No Lift Work

Skier
Skier

May 11th, 2009, 3:25 am #1

Rumor has it the area has killed any work at Hyak this summer including installing the Silver Fir chair Just rumor but thats what the area maintenance guys are saying

Any official word from someone in the knowing?

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

May 11th, 2009, 11:20 am #2

I hope that isn't true, but if it is the cabin owners group should buy the area NOW! Once those lifts are down, it is SO much easier for Protest groups to push for them to Stay Down. I've heard from a few long-time Northwest skiers who say "pull the plug on Hyak." I don't agree, but if work isn't done Right Away, the inertia will be HUGE!

coffeewench
coffeewench

May 11th, 2009, 1:39 pm #3

Rumor has it the area has killed any work at Hyak this summer including installing the Silver Fir chair Just rumor but thats what the area maintenance guys are saying

Any official word from someone in the knowing?
Yup. No brush cutting, no painting, and no lift this year. Nordic only for one more year.

May 11th, 2009, 3:03 pm #4

No season pass from me then. I won't waste my money to ride Silver Fir again.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

hyakblake
hyakblake

May 11th, 2009, 3:09 pm #5

Yup. No brush cutting, no painting, and no lift this year. Nordic only for one more year.
If they don't get it together and at least install the old silver fir at hyak to get the hill up and running they won't see any of my money spent on a season pass this coming season. I know I am not the only one. That was a tough pill to swallow standing in 20-25 minute lift lines at central let alone having to drive and find a parking spot.

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

May 11th, 2009, 3:34 pm #6

I'm feeling no love here... can we get some noise together or will Hyak die a Quiet Death? I'm not usually a paranoid type, but I can see this EASILY being the result of InAction.

Question for Those In The Know: How did the Summit do this year? I know it wasn't a record, but I'm guessing it wasn't a disaster either.

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

May 11th, 2009, 4:41 pm #7

If they don't get it together and at least install the old silver fir at hyak to get the hill up and running they won't see any of my money spent on a season pass this coming season. I know I am not the only one. That was a tough pill to swallow standing in 20-25 minute lift lines at central let alone having to drive and find a parking spot.
Ok, let's take a positive (hopefull) spin for a minute. Let's say the Summit still does have some (limited) hopes and plans for Hyak's future, but they really are just "waiting" a year. IF that's true (I want to believe that, but I don't), then I have a suggestion:

Pull an old POMA platter lift or T-bar out of storage and set that thing in place on the hill. That would allow Hyak to operate, TAS to train, access by Snowboarders and Skiers... everything except Nordic skiers and snowshoers, who like to climb the hill anyway.

Sure, it would be going back to 1973... but the alternative (I'm afraid) is going back to 1958: No Hyak at all.

Then next summer, put in a REAL Lift. Old, new, who cares... although my vote obviously who be for a HSDQ. One only has to look back to the lift lines in the old pictures to know that people enjoy the hill. But they are getting awefully tired of the awefully tired lodge, buildings, and lifts. EVERYONE else in the Northwest is successfully upgrading- except Hyak.

If you build it, they WILL COME!!

Hyak Luddites (who have been wanting a "quiet Hyak") time to SPEAK UP for New Lifts! If Hyak doesn't build NOW, it will become Very Quiet! Your condos and cabins will lose a bit of value then, don't you think?!

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

May 11th, 2009, 4:42 pm #8

Ok, let's take a positive (hopefull) spin for a minute. Let's say the Summit still does have some (limited) hopes and plans for Hyak's future, but they really are just "waiting" a year. IF that's true (I want to believe that, but I don't), then I have a suggestion:

Pull an old POMA platter lift or T-bar out of storage and set that thing in place on the hill. That would allow Hyak to operate, TAS to train, access by Snowboarders and Skiers... everything except Nordic skiers and snowshoers, who like to climb the hill anyway.

Sure, it would be going back to 1973... but the alternative (I'm afraid) is going back to 1958: No Hyak at all.

Then next summer, put in a REAL Lift. Old, new, who cares... although my vote obviously who be for a HSDQ. One only has to look back to the lift lines in the old pictures to know that people enjoy the hill. But they are getting awefully tired of the awefully tired lodge, buildings, and lifts. EVERYONE else in the Northwest is successfully upgrading- except Hyak.

Hyak Luddites (who have been wanting a "quiet Hyak") time to SPEAK UP for New Lifts! If Hyak doesn't build NOW, it will become Very Quiet! Your condos and cabins will lose a bit of value then, don't you think?!

May 11th, 2009, 6:30 pm #9

It is time to start a signature page on the site...and encourage all of the Hyak Condo/Cabin owners to send letters to the Owners/Managers...we all bought houses/condos...because we enjoy our time at HYAK...not up the road.

May 11th, 2009, 6:35 pm #10

Cabin values only matter for those who are trying to sell. I wouldn't mind seeing the values go down for lower property value, but with or without the ski area I don't see it really making much of a difference except for those lots that are right along the ski area itself.

At the very least the little chair can still be running which is fine for my kids. Next time I'm up I'll do some asking around to see what the 'word on the street' is. Can anyone from the Summit comment on this (I know your out there reading these threads!)..

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997