New vote.....just for fun

New vote.....just for fun

January 27th, 2011, 7:38 pm #1

<script language="Javascript" src="http://www.network54.com/Votelet/55833? ... \n</script>

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

hyaker
hyaker

January 28th, 2011, 3:14 am #2

check out the new eyeontheeast post...pretty cool upgrade being able to run the chair off a snowcats hydraulics...lets keep our fingers crossed that all goes well with the load test and we should be riding by superbowl weekend.

EdS
EdS

January 28th, 2011, 4:41 pm #3

At this point it looks ike the lift will be up and running in a week or so, the big question is if there will be enough snow. Looks like the Summit ought to get the groomers up on Hyak and start plowing some snow into all the holes and bare spots so its usable. I have not been up on Hyak since Thanksgiving, but I wonder what the backside looks like with all the rough grading and log piles that were left. Anyone been back to Hidden Valley and see what the snow coverage lis like?

MK
MK

January 28th, 2011, 5:29 pm #4

Fack!
Raining now.

January 28th, 2011, 5:34 pm #5

It is suppose to be getting colder this weekend. I hope we get a little snow before the warmup again next week. Gawd, this weather pattern $ucks.

Today... Cloudy with rain and snow likely mid afternoon. Snow level 4500 feet. Afternoon pass
temperatures in the upper 30s. Southwest wind in the passes 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight... Rain and snow. Snow level 3500 feet. Snow accumulation up to 4 inches. West wind in the
passes 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday... Showers likely. Snow level 3500 feet. Snow accumulation up to 2 inches. Afternoon pass
temperatures in the upper 30s. Light wind in the passes.

Saturday night... Showers likely. Snow level 3000 feet. Light wind in the passes.

Sunday... Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Snow level 2000 feet. Afternoon pass temperatures in
the lower 30s. Light wind in the passes.

Sunday night... Partly cloudy with a chance of showers. Snow level 1500 feet.

Monday and monday night... Partly cloudy. Freezing level 2500 feet.
Last edited by hyak on January 28th, 2011, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barb Q.
Barb Q.

January 28th, 2011, 11:18 pm #6

At this point it looks ike the lift will be up and running in a week or so, the big question is if there will be enough snow. Looks like the Summit ought to get the groomers up on Hyak and start plowing some snow into all the holes and bare spots so its usable. I have not been up on Hyak since Thanksgiving, but I wonder what the backside looks like with all the rough grading and log piles that were left. Anyone been back to Hidden Valley and see what the snow coverage lis like?
On our daily walk through the neighborhood Ed and I saw the chairs running--we have been watching out the kitchen window and they have had the lift going constantly today--As of 3;20 it's still going--don't know about the back side--it is still pouring rain, though!!

January 29th, 2011, 12:41 am #7

The rumor mill has it that the Pig Chair will not turn again this weekend. That's four weekends that it's been down-- almost half the season. The ski hill will again be littered with wailing and dying little piggies, slowly washing down the hill in the rain. The Old Fir chair may run sooner at this rate! Next question: will they get Hidden Valley turning this season? Hope so.

Mikey

January 29th, 2011, 12:48 am #8

The HV chair I believe has been done for awhile now, just needs load testing completed. We've been waiting on the triple to be done.

Sorry Summit, I don't call the chair East Peak....I don't say that word (EAST). I usually call it the Hyak triple, or maybe we should call it the dino triple. Does anyone know the formal name for the top of Hyak (the peak)? In the Milwaukee Bowl days it was called Rocky Peak and later it was known as Mt Hyak. Good thing PacWest didn't rename it PacMtn or something goofy like that. I've never really noticed any names on maps but maybe I should look up some old maps?

Sully
Sully

January 29th, 2011, 1:14 am #9

Will they open hyak next weekend with the triple done or wait for final inspection on both chairs to open the mountain? As it says in the eyes of the east they will not start testing hidden valley chair unil the triple is done. So if they dont open just the front side we are looking at another 6 to 10 days of testing before the mountain will be open, which takes us into mid February. Lets hope they are smart and open whenever the triple is done and not wait. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

Oh and by the way Ive heard rumors that someone is planning to change the name of the chair on their own. lol I would be happy with Dino or Hyak! East peak chair just makes me throw up a little in my mouth everytime I hear someone say it. I can't wait to ski up to the triple one morning and see some die hard hyak local having changed the name of the chair! I think its a great idea!

January 29th, 2011, 1:49 am #10

The HV chair I believe has been done for awhile now, just needs load testing completed. We've been waiting on the triple to be done.

Sorry Summit, I don't call the chair East Peak....I don't say that word (EAST). I usually call it the Hyak triple, or maybe we should call it the dino triple. Does anyone know the formal name for the top of Hyak (the peak)? In the Milwaukee Bowl days it was called Rocky Peak and later it was known as Mt Hyak. Good thing PacWest didn't rename it PacMtn or something goofy like that. I've never really noticed any names on maps but maybe I should look up some old maps?

Heh heh, Jack and Sully make good points.

We're calling the triple chairlift on the front side of Hyak the "Old Fir Chair" for obvious reasons. The problem is whether to call the new Silver Fir Chair "New Fir," kind of awkward. It was simpler when there was only one Silver Fir chair, we just called it "Fir."

I think the USGS maps show the top as Mt. Hyak.