New Gondola for Crystal

New Gondola for Crystal

Peter
Peter

March 7th, 2010, 3:17 am #1

Crystal is building a gondola this summer at Crystal. Clearly they have some money available, maybe a good sign for Hyak?

http://www.skicrystal.com/News/909/GOND ... D-AND-MORE

March 8th, 2010, 4:41 am #2

This could also mean that they have SOME cash to spend and it is all going to Crystal. I sure hope not.

Joe Skier
Joe Skier

March 8th, 2010, 3:15 pm #3

Or, they like Both Creek are just going to use the revenues from the pass to improve their other areas.

March 8th, 2010, 3:27 pm #4

A Gondola at Crystal seems like such a waste of money IMO.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

March 8th, 2010, 11:07 pm #5

I've heard the same from several old-time Crystal fans- but I will say one thing for JK, he has made several controversial business decisions that have panned out very well. I hope the gondola does also- as it will (theoritically) begin the transformation into more of a "4 season resort." At least that's the plan...

March 8th, 2010, 11:49 pm #6

I always thought a gondola from 410 to the resort would be cool (sort of like Kellogg) so no need to drive up that road people always get stuck on in a snow storm.

March 9th, 2010, 12:06 am #7

March 9th, 2010, 3:29 am #8

So does this mean it will cost $75 for a lift ticket at Crystal?

I remember when skiing used to be affordable in this state (as well as a laundry list of other things).

What a joke.

Last edited by alpenbum on March 9th, 2010, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

March 9th, 2010, 7:57 am #9

do the math sometime: it costs LESS (a daily ticket) to ski at Crystal than snocrummy. Food costs less too- and it's better. I have a pass both places, I ski both every week.

I like the drive to the pass better-sometimes. And I like getting home faster- sometimes.

But I do miss Hyak. I hope they get it together there soon and find a way to make the numbers work.

I predict a lot of overweight people riding the gondola to the top of Crystal in the Summer, taking pictures, eating a nice meal, and going back to Kansas- or wherever. Look at the lineups to get into MRNP sometime. Most of those people barely get out of their car. I think this is a genius move- if they market it well. And in the Winter, all those Pow Storms will be just that much more fun!!

March 9th, 2010, 7:39 pm #10

For day tickets, Crystal is a much better deal of the big 3 resorts (Stevens/Crystal/Snoqualmie) by far.
Crystal = $60
Snoqualmie = $57
Stevens = $60

If you are looking at strictly ticket price vs mountain I would pick Mt Baker as the best deal @ $47.50.

For season pass deals, White Pass and Snoqualmie are the better deals (all of this is my opinion). Next season I might just buy a White Pass season ticket instead of Snoqualmie. It all depends on the news I hear from the resort, but with the 2 new lifts at White, and new terrain doubling its size that $367 season pass at WP is very tempting. I spend a lot of time in Yakima anyway so getting there is not a big deal.