Monday Perfection

Monday Perfection

da duke
da duke

January 23rd, 2008, 2:57 am #1

Perfect weather, perfect grooming (they groomed all the way to both tree lines on top!), no lines, & no breakdowns. Monday was truly a day to savor and a reminder of why we like Hyak so much. My kids were so inspired by the day that we hiked up to the Dino chair several times - the path to Dino was even groomed!

Thank you to the groomers and lift supervisor!

January 23rd, 2008, 4:01 am #2

I didn't get a chance to do any boarding this weekend since it was a "kids sledding" weekend. It was cold (13 degrees when we got up and 18 when we finally got out to do some sledding), but nice and sunny. Looks like snow is forecast this weekend, could be epic if the wet hits this cold air and dumps.

There was great powder between Silverfir and Hyak along the power lines. Duck the ropes at the upper crossover, then hit the return line back to Silverfir. I wish I could have done a few runs...

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

EdS
EdS

January 23rd, 2008, 4:29 am #3

I didnt go up this weekend as it looked to crowded to me, I guess I am getting to picky. But I did hike up Hyak last Thursday and made a run down Blowdown and New Cut and I was the first one cutting tracks on these trails in 6" of powder, glad I made the hike!

Bill B
Bill B

January 23rd, 2008, 5:26 am #4

Hmmm - my Wed line must've been filled in by the wind....

EdS
EdS

January 23rd, 2008, 3:08 pm #5

could be, there were some faint lines but it was drifted through so that makes sense

Snoquamie Guy
Snoquamie Guy

January 23rd, 2008, 11:14 pm #6

I didn't get a chance to do any boarding this weekend since it was a "kids sledding" weekend. It was cold (13 degrees when we got up and 18 when we finally got out to do some sledding), but nice and sunny. Looks like snow is forecast this weekend, could be epic if the wet hits this cold air and dumps.

There was great powder between Silverfir and Hyak along the power lines. Duck the ropes at the upper crossover, then hit the return line back to Silverfir. I wish I could have done a few runs...

Would Ski Patrol clip a pass if they saw you ducking those ropes?

January 23rd, 2008, 11:23 pm #7

I've never been overly concerned as I don't see much difference between riding that area, and riding Hidden Valley. My cabin is near the road and I've used the powerline run to head back home numerous times.

I had a Hyak ski patrol stop me and Ed once when we were heading into HV asking if I had an avalanche transceiver and shovel? I kinda laughed....the conditions were not even anything close to being dangerous, and I doubt there has ever been an avalanche in recorded history in HV. We still continued on, ducking the ropes and he just said be careful.

Erik
Erik

January 24th, 2008, 5:13 pm #8

Where is Hidden Valley? Sounds interesting...

January 24th, 2008, 6:40 pm #9

Backside of Hyak. Shown here on this map from 1967

http://www.hyak.net/1967.html