Lift-served mountain biking to return?

Lift-served mountain biking to return?

June 1st, 2012, 6:41 pm #1

I'm also hearing rumors that lift-served mountain biking may come back... Crystal is doing it, Stevens Pass has made a big push and there's a new indoor MTB park coming to Woodinville...

MK
MK

June 1st, 2012, 6:45 pm #2

We've heard that they are taking another look at it, but as part of a larger offering of activities/attractions.
I'm not aware that Crystal has plans to offer riding beyond what's always been there.
From their site"

" Take a ride on the Mt. Rainier Gondola (bikes are not currently allowed on the gondola but dogs are) to the summit of Crystal Mountain to hike along the ridgeline or down one of the few trails."

June 1st, 2012, 7:19 pm #3

Copy that, MK, thanks.

Indeed, the latest rumor I heard came out of a discussion on a completely different topic. There is much interest among several groups to notch up summer activities at the resort. There's already a lot of cyclists using the Iron Horse. Last season, a State-vendor shuttle was running from Cedar Falls, I'd hope to see them back this year. I know that considerable financial questions remain, but man, it seems like the motel and the resort could spool up a modest money-maker during the summer...?

June 1st, 2012, 8:54 pm #4

Too bad they didn't have a HSQ at Hyak as it is the most logical location for mtb access and rentals from Hyak could allow renters to access the Iron Horse trail much easier. When they had the mb center at Acres I used to get riders constantly coming down by my house wondering where they were. When I told them they had a 2 mile up-hill ride they were not happy. It is always best to have the MB center at the lowest point so people have a better experience.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

June 1st, 2012, 11:41 pm #5

Jack makes several good points in his message. I wonder if Fir and its new lodge might be a candidate as well, rather than CX like they used to run.

Mikey

MK
MK

June 2nd, 2012, 12:29 am #6

I believe that the decision to have the original bike center at Central/Silver Fir had to do with what land the ski area owns and what the Forest Service management at the time was willing to put up with.

IHSP-SPA
IHSP-SPA

June 2nd, 2012, 2:08 pm #7

Copy that, MK, thanks.

Indeed, the latest rumor I heard came out of a discussion on a completely different topic. There is much interest among several groups to notch up summer activities at the resort. There's already a lot of cyclists using the Iron Horse. Last season, a State-vendor shuttle was running from Cedar Falls, I'd hope to see them back this year. I know that considerable financial questions remain, but man, it seems like the motel and the resort could spool up a modest money-maker during the summer...?
vender shuttle service to / from Cedar Falls / Hyak on the Iron Horse starts in July