Largest ski jump in North America

February 25th, 2007, 1:43 am #1

I was reading "Lost Washington Ski Areas" and noticed an artical about the Ski Jump at the Snoqualmie/Miluaukee Ski area. It was noted that the Ski Jump was opened in winter of 1939, and was the biggest in North America at the time. Not sure about that. The Nansen Ski Club of Berlin New Hampshire built a 80 meter jump just south of the city in 1936. It hosted the 1938 First Olympic jumping trials. Word has it was used in late 1937. It was used until the 1980's. I am assuming the jump at Snoqualine was also an 80 meter jump based on the designers estimate of jumps up to and over 270'. The question is that it may be a year younger then the Nansen jump, and the same size. I went to jumping events in 50's at the Nansen jump and they were hitting in the 260 foot range regularly. I live here in Wa now. Traded the blue ice in the east for the concrete snow of WA. Concrete better!

Ernie Hutchins

February 25th, 2007, 6:46 am #2

I've only written what I've read. I do have an article that shows photo's of the jump as it was being built, along with drawings made during the planning stages. It was suppose to be an exact replica of a jump constructed in Europe (can't remember which one off the top of my head), which is why it was called "Olympic Hill". When I get a chance I'll dig up the article and try to get more info.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you like the powder out here!

Jack

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

Jake
Jake

April 20th, 2007, 12:13 pm #3

Great site.

If it opened in 1939 as an exact replica of a jump in Europe, and if it was named the 'Olympic Jump', I'd guess it was modeled after the jump in Garmisch-Partenkirschen, Germany (1936 Olympics).

This jump was blown up a week ago to make way for a new jump.