It is what it is

It is what it is

January 10th, 2011, 10:35 pm #1

So...I have been posting on here for years...I have been negative (when I feel it is necessary)and have been positive (when I feel it is necessary). So here is my take on all of this...am I disappointed the chairs are not running...absolutely! Do I blame the Summit for this...NOT AT ALL! It is what it is...having been part of building chairs for Riblet many years ago...delivery dates are a moving target as so many factors can and will play a role in the date. Do you try and deliver on time sure...would you like to deliver on time...absolutely! I cannot think of anyone at the Summit, who when they realized they were not going to make X-Mas break got excited...(well maybe the lone skinny skier )...I can bet they were as disappointed with the moving delivery dates as we have been.

I personally watched Chair 1 go on the lift and congratulated all the employees that were there. I watched them work through the rain and through a blizzard...every day...while the rest of us were in our houses or condos cheering on the Hawks (Lynch is a BEAST!)they were out there working. Now this is where many of you will jump in and say..."well maybe they should of put more hours in over the summer" you are probably right...maybe they should have...but maybe the company supplying the cable was late...maybe the drive unit or back up Genset was late...maybe, maybe, maybe...the point being "it is what it is"

The bottom line for me is this...sometime in the next 3 weeks, I believe my butt is going to be on a chair at HYAK and for the first time in 20 years, I get to ride into Hidden Valley. I get to enjoy new runs, new tree glades and even some "secret" stashes and I get to share this with my family and my friends...and my kids get to create whole new memories of the little ski area...most of us grew up on...that we call HYAK! And when that happens...I hope all of us that have been critical, pissed off, frustrated, negative, etc etc etc will take a brief moment out of our day to thank the ski area...because we should never forget that they (owners)did not have to ever re-open HYAK!

HYAK RULES!

January 11th, 2011, 12:18 am #2

Well said...... opening day will rock!

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

Barb Q.
Barb Q.

January 11th, 2011, 2:21 am #3

I'm going to give Trevor a print of my painting that sold at the recent Sno Pass Fire Dept. auction (Night Skiing at Hyak c. '96) as an appreciation gift as soon as the chair goes!! They are working in all kinds of weather and I appreciate the fact that maybe I'll get some more years to paint more Hyak memories! By the reaction at the auction, I was encouraged by all the bidding that went on for my Hyak Night Skiing prints--all 3 scenes brought back memories!! So in advance I thank them for their effort!

Noj
Noj

January 11th, 2011, 4:17 am #4

I've seen evidence of the work that we are about to enjoy. The Lodge is clean and lit. Something to be proud of again. Its Skiing Old School new again. Worthy of 15 minutes on a Warren Miller uptake. If we don't ski Hyak this week, will be one week older when we do.

Suck it up.

Noj

January 11th, 2011, 4:35 am #5

Noj +1.

Ski on, brother.

Mikey

Barb q.
Barb q.

January 11th, 2011, 10:03 pm #6

Well said...... opening day will rock!

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997
On our way out of Hyak to pick up the mail this AM a ton of chairs on a big machine rolling into the parking lot!! I would say that's a good thing!

January 12th, 2011, 6:38 am #7

I'm going to give Trevor a print of my painting that sold at the recent Sno Pass Fire Dept. auction (Night Skiing at Hyak c. '96) as an appreciation gift as soon as the chair goes!! They are working in all kinds of weather and I appreciate the fact that maybe I'll get some more years to paint more Hyak memories! By the reaction at the auction, I was encouraged by all the bidding that went on for my Hyak Night Skiing prints--all 3 scenes brought back memories!! So in advance I thank them for their effort!
i would love to see those prints...can you post a copy of these?

Barb Quirie
Barb Quirie

January 12th, 2011, 5:10 pm #8

I did put them on FB, but am not sure --I'll ask Jack and see what transpires--I have been painting watercolor and gouache scenes of Sno Pass for 20 years now (retired teacher now and going back seriously to my first career--prof. artist)The Night Skiing series turned out really well and I will try to post those (with Jack's permission)--It's blasting snow up here again today--another good painting day for sure!

January 12th, 2011, 9:20 pm #9

Barb, you can link them here by just posting the link from facebook. You do need to edit the photo and rotate. Just click on "edit photo" then at the upper section of the edit box you will see two arrows pointing one left and one right to rotate your picture so we can view it straight. Here is a link from facebook.

January 12th, 2011, 10:33 pm #10

Wonderful painting!

Mikey