Iron Horse Trail melted out?

Iron Horse Trail melted out?

mel
mel

May 19th, 2012, 3:05 am #1

Does any one know if the Iron Horse/John Wayne trail is melted out yet?

IHSP-SPA
IHSP-SPA

May 19th, 2012, 1:10 pm #2

As of Friday, May 18 - The Iron Horse trail is snow free from Cedar Falls trailhead east to the old snowshed at Humpback Creek near the Annette Lake trail crossing, and spotty sections of snow to the west portal of the Snoqualmie Tunnel. It is also snow free from the Columbia River to Tunnel 49 (Whittier Tunnel 8 miles west of Easton State Park). Snoqualmie Tunnel # 50 is closed until the snow melts between the Hyak parking lot and the tunnel and we can get in to inspect it. Many spotty sections of snow between Hyak parking lot and Stampede Pass road crossing. My guess is the entire trail should be snow free by June.

May 19th, 2012, 6:34 pm #3

Thanks for the detailed answer. I know Stack was wondering how soon he'd be able to get his bike down there to check it out.

edited to add: non-motorized, of course!
Last edited by StackAndMisha on May 19th, 2012, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdS
EdS

May 23rd, 2012, 3:18 am #4

Does any one know if the Iron Horse/John Wayne trail is melted out yet?
I ran a ways down the trail today from the Hyak tunnel east, they were down there with a blower, a frontloader and a grader clearing snow from trail. I didnt go as far as old shed but they must have been down clearing snow from shed area for the holiday weekend.

May 26th, 2012, 1:36 am #5

The Snoqualmie Tunnel opens June 1, yes? I'm willing to hike-a-bike a few snow patches... let's ride!

Mikey

IHSP-SPA
IHSP-SPA

May 27th, 2012, 2:09 pm #6

I ran a ways down the trail today from the Hyak tunnel east, they were down there with a blower, a frontloader and a grader clearing snow from trail. I didnt go as far as old shed but they must have been down clearing snow from shed area for the holiday weekend.
DOT plowed it to Lost Lake Road because it's the detour route for bicycles for the I-90 construction project along the lake. They didn't plow it to the bone but it is usable. What little snow remains should go fast. Still large snow patches between Lost Lake Rd and Whittier (east of Stampede Pass Rd).

IHSP - SPA
IHSP - SPA

May 27th, 2012, 2:11 pm #7

The Snoqualmie Tunnel opens June 1, yes? I'm willing to hike-a-bike a few snow patches... let's ride!

Mikey
Depends on if the snow melts enough by June 1 to be able to drive in and inspect the tunnel. We have to inspect it and do any post winter cleanup / repairs before we can open it. Will post on here when it is open. Actually pray for rain this week it you want it open by June 1. Too shaded in the snowy stretch to be melted by sunshine.

IHSP-SPA
IHSP-SPA

May 31st, 2012, 12:54 am #8

Mikey
We opened The Snoqualmie Tunnel on Iron Horse today. Clear shot all the way to Cedar Falls; just a couple of large patches of snow at Humpback Creek Snowshed, but nothing you can't get around. East bound - a few large patches of snow east of Stampede Pass Road to Whittier.

May 31st, 2012, 5:01 am #9

Awesome news! I'll be heading up Saturday.

Mikey