Hyak Opener

Hyak Opener

yamaha
yamaha

December 31st, 2005, 3:04 am #1

I'm personally going to wake at O'dark thirty tomorrow. My gut instinct tells me Hyak will open. A gamble on my part as I will miss the fresh at Alpenthal. Might expect a delay on the bull wheel turning being it is its first day. I give it 80/20 odds for the good. Gotta go, wax to add!

snappy
snappy

December 31st, 2005, 8:06 am #2

Hooo ray for posivite thinking!!!!!!

David
David

December 31st, 2005, 8:26 am #3

I'm personally going to wake at O'dark thirty tomorrow. My gut instinct tells me Hyak will open. A gamble on my part as I will miss the fresh at Alpenthal. Might expect a delay on the bull wheel turning being it is its first day. I give it 80/20 odds for the good. Gotta go, wax to add!
From the Hyak Ski Patrol web site (http://hyakskipatrol.org):

Fellow Hyak Ski Patrollers,

Great news!! We are opening tomorrow 11/31 and now we need to make sure we have enough volunteer coverage.

I don't know if this means alpine or nordic only, but please oh please, let it be both! Snow really started falling at about 12:30 today (right as we were leaving, needed to get the kids home), and with all the reports of closures, traction tire requirements, etc. on I-90 this evening, you gotta think that the snow is piling up pretty good.

We took a spin through the Hyak parking lot today - what a mess! The potholes and ruts are bad enough to lose a small sedan. I was fine on all the other roads, but I turned on the 4WD when we got into that place. Who is responsible for maintaining/grading that lot? The Summit is so careful about its other lots, is this one the ugly stepchild? Or will it get more attention once it's open?

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

December 31st, 2005, 3:47 pm #4

There it is boys and girls! http://www.summitatsnoqualmie.com/

I'm still recovering from a collision with a snowboarder, so I may not make it for a day or so... HAVE FUN!!

David
David

December 31st, 2005, 3:50 pm #5

From the Hyak Ski Patrol web site (http://hyakskipatrol.org):

Fellow Hyak Ski Patrollers,

Great news!! We are opening tomorrow 11/31 and now we need to make sure we have enough volunteer coverage.

I don't know if this means alpine or nordic only, but please oh please, let it be both! Snow really started falling at about 12:30 today (right as we were leaving, needed to get the kids home), and with all the reports of closures, traction tire requirements, etc. on I-90 this evening, you gotta think that the snow is piling up pretty good.

We took a spin through the Hyak parking lot today - what a mess! The potholes and ruts are bad enough to lose a small sedan. I was fine on all the other roads, but I turned on the 4WD when we got into that place. Who is responsible for maintaining/grading that lot? The Summit is so careful about its other lots, is this one the ugly stepchild? Or will it get more attention once it's open?
As of 7:45 this morning, The Summit's web site accurately lists the lifts/runs that will be open, but doesn't list anything as being groomed at any of the areas, so it may just be the ultimate powder day.

After going up the last two days, the kids probably won't want to go, which means the wife won't want to go, which means I'll be guilted into not going. Grrr.

January 1st, 2006, 4:30 pm #6

I just got off the mtn after hiking around with my dog. The snow down low is crusty, but coverate on the top half is good. Overnight someone built a 9'+ snowball and painted a face on it....its quite a site. I'll post the picture later when I get home (no cable to transfer with me). Yesterday I was at Central trying to teach my wife to snowboard. Snow was wet, and packed but not too bad.

EdS
EdS

January 1st, 2006, 6:13 pm #7

I took my 10 yr old daughter and we went snowboarding at Hyak yesterday, it was great, coverage was better than I expected and the deep stuff was fun even though it was heavy as hell. I just moved up here so it was a real novelty for me to go right up behind my house and snowboard, hope they keep it open on monday also. I wonder why they have not opened the bottom chair? Not working?

January 2nd, 2006, 8:16 pm #8

We nailed opening day, 3rd chair up....first run down the face in a foot of uncut. 2nd and 3rd run down Roz's, still uncut! 4th and 5th run down Blowdown, still finding uncut! 6th, back to Roz's still finding some freshies...as much as I hated the hike from the condo to the middle chair, what a blessing in disguise as the longest lift line I faced on Saturday was 3 people ahead of me!!!! The hardest run of the weekend...getting my 4WD in the parking lot! Wow, I have never seen it this bad, hopefully they will have a chance to get after it this week!

Thank you Booth Creek for getting us open!!!!

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

January 3rd, 2006, 1:38 am #9

Well, after a few weeks at Crystal, my son ROCKED Hyak! Smiling the entire time (except the hike).

Here's a little bit of something I wrote to the summit, and their response. I hope I didn't slam them too hard:

12-31-05
Thank you for your e-mail. We certainly are not trying to lose ANY pass
holders. A major indication of our commitment to our pass holders has been
our dedication to rolling last year's season passes forward to this year at
no charge! By rolling those passes over the company has had to make some
very difficult financial decisions as you can well imagine. This was
certainly one of the most difficult years I've experienced in my 10 plus
years as a full time staffer for the Summit and I too share some of your
disappointment that we couldn't get more work done through the summer
months. We are very much still working through a lot of the financial
recovery and reorganizational displacement from last season, but we are very
much on track with re-grouping as a company. I assure you that Summit
East/Hyak is an area that receives and will continue receiving attention and
priority going forward, but in the interim we must work with what we have.
The snow is piling up quickly and soon the hills of Summit East/Hyak will be
covered well. There are many trails at Hyak where we did get extensive
brush cutting done this past summer and I sincerely apologize we did not get
a chance to accomplish more. Thanks again for your e-mail.

Please let me know if you have any further questions,

Peter Rybka
Base Services Manager
Summit East, Nordic, Snowshoe and Tubing
The Summit at Snoqualmie

(425) 434-7669 ext. 4699
(425) 434-6758 fax
www.summitatsnoqualmie.com

Name = [John
Email = [johnnybassboy
type = [Passes]
Message = [Why wasn't there more brush-cutting? Are you really trying to
lose all us long-time pass holders who want to ski Hyak and other areas,
and not just spend time in Central Park? Even my 7 year old is bored!]

January 3rd, 2006, 5:09 pm #10

I guarantee that there was ZERO brush cutting anywhere on the slopes of Hyak this past summer/fall. I've been hiking all over that mountain through the summer fall up to when the snow began falling and I didn't see evidence of any work up until the cable splice.

The only extensive brush cutting I saw was at West. Central has much less growth (except for the SilverFir side) so cutting is not as much an issue. His comment is either an outright lie, he has been mis-informed or I am blind.
Last edited by hyak on January 3rd, 2006, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.