Halloween?

Halloween?

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

August 29th, 2011, 5:51 pm #1

Up at Crystal, they have removed the big rocks from Green Valley and added snow making. Word is they plan to open Oct. 31st. The gondola has transformed the place. It is crowded every day, and the hotels are full. The summit dinners are sold out all the way into October.

Now if we can figure out how to transform the Summit... perhaps the same way Ski Bowl (Hood) did: expand Summer operations with an alpine slide etc. The new law allows it- and people seem more than willing to come up and spend money...

August 29th, 2011, 10:03 pm #2

Interesting notions... had anyone heard how the new MTB park at Stevens Pass is being received?

Mikey

MK
MK

August 30th, 2011, 3:21 pm #3

Well considering that it still isn't finished yet, or open to the public, I would say it's still in a "wait-and-see" status.

August 30th, 2011, 5:39 pm #4

Huh, I thought Stevens Pass said they closed early this spring so they could finish their MTB park. Buncha darn marketing geniuses, it sounds like.

Mikey

MK
MK

August 30th, 2011, 7:58 pm #5

(I think) They closed early to get started on it.
Building awareness and anticipation is OK, reminds us that it's coming I suppose.

No small undertaking what they are doing.
Go take a look at Duthie Park some time and read about the man power and hours related to that.
Then, multiply by 10 ~ 20 times for the size difference.
I'm sure the Stevens bike park will be great, it just takes time to build stuff on that scale.

August 30th, 2011, 8:50 pm #6

MK-- no doubt. I wish I was younger, I'd love to sample some of that "freeride" stuff. As it is, I'm simply too old to take a hit... guys my age do not engage in activities where twenty-somethings are wearing body armor. I'm strictly an XC guy, and a slow one at that. The good old Iron Horse trail is about all the excitement I can handle, although I greatly enjoyed the lift-assisted riding at Schweitzer and Silver Mtn.

I was up in Whistler last October and the MTB scene there is simply amazing, a tremendous tourist draw in the skiing off-season. The big question is how to keep the kids on the trails and out of the meadows. I guess the answer must be to make such awesome trails they never think about trashing the meadows. My understanding is that was the problem when they ran lift-assisted MTB at Ski Acres-- the kids were wrecking the meadows and the USFS rightly yanked their permit.

Mikey

MK
MK

August 31st, 2011, 8:50 pm #7

I rode at the Acres when it was open.
IMO, it was closed by the USFS because the ski are put as little into it as possible, and as you mention people just did with it what they wanted.
It's a shame, had they chosen not to be cheep, and get by with as little investment as possible, they could have created something cool that is an easy drive from Seattle. The whole attitude/things I heard from management about this just disgust me. I'm sort of holding out a little hope that Crystal/Boyne might look at the Summit as a better opportunity for a bike park than Crystal and perhaps promote taking a second look at what's possible up here.

BTW, what are you calling old?

August 31st, 2011, 9:03 pm #8

When they did the bikes out of SilverFir it wasn't too bad, but when they moved it to the Central Express the atmosphere was cr@p. The area all around that part of Central is like a desert, very few trees. Nowhere to really hang out at the bottom except at the lodge I guess. The other bad part of hosting biking at Central was the trails dumped out at Hyak and I was always answering questions from riders "how do we get back?". When they found out they had to ride 2 miles uphill many were not happy. If they were to have the MB center at Hyak the lodge area is much nicer and being at the low point of the trails you don't end up with surprised riders having to ride up the road for 2 miles to get back. A HS quad would have been ideal, but with the new lodge going in at SF next summer and the existing HSQ there that would be the better new location...just better signage for the return route at Hyak would make for happier riders.

MK
MK

September 1st, 2011, 3:07 pm #9

The bike center that was at SF was a world apart from what was at Acres, in so much that down hill and free ride were just starting to evolve and were changing at a rapid pace, along with the bike technology. Hell, half the bikes in my garage that I pedal to the top of hyak have better suspension technology and more travel than purpose built DH rigs of the era. The World Cup race that came to the pass did a lot to usher this in. After that there was no looking back for most gravity riders. While some people did ride the trails to the East at that point, it wasn't really what lift served riding was evolving into. Riders just looking for an easy way up to ride XC trails is a pretty limited audience. The majority demographic that wants to ride a lift with a heavy bike, armored to the gills and they want to ride direct, technical lines that have features like chutes, drops, etc.