Freezing Rain : (

Freezing Rain : (

mel
mel

December 27th, 2008, 5:20 pm #1

Freezing rain is falling right now at the top of Hyak.

yamaha
yamaha

December 28th, 2008, 3:45 am #2

ALL DAY. still 8 pm.

EdS
EdS

December 28th, 2008, 7:03 pm #3

went up this morning for a few runs on Hyak, upper half pretty nice and as long as you were in the fresh stuff it was ok, but outside of that and when it gets tracked its heavy and cement like. A couple of runs was enough for me, blowdown was good and not that tracked which suprised me. Anyway, now we have a good solid base if nothing else

December 28th, 2008, 8:33 pm #4

Hit some snow/ice just before exit 38, skidded all the way across I-90, and ended up looking like this.  Everyone walked away, but we didn't make it up to the hill.  Guess I need to go car shopping now, before the rest of the season gets away.

<a href="" rel="nofollow"></a>

<font face="verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif" size="2">Thanks to all the people who stopped to help.</font>

mel
mel

December 28th, 2008, 9:53 pm #5

Sorry about your accident. I'm glad everyone is okay.

TomK
TomK

December 29th, 2008, 12:25 am #6

Good to hear that everyone was OK. What tires were those?
You didn't miss much...

Thick and gloppy, wet and sloppy, gear all soppy 12/28/08 Hyak. Heavy overcast, light fog, and snowing wet, sloppy flakes. Temp was 29F, and winds were 5-10 MPH at the top of the Kechelus chair when we loaded up at 0845. The lifty (Steve?) said his personal goal this year was to early load all season long whenever hes scheduled for opening. Good man. Snow cover was 4 inches of new NW slurpy over a nicely consolidated base on the groomers, really heavy going off-road though. Did watch some brave soul with good knees straightline the big Dino chute with a midway hop. Looked good. First tracks down a couple of the flatter trails were amusing, but things started to set up , so we bailed before noon. Slid right onto the lift all morning long even though the main lot was full with what I guess was mostly cross-country skiers.

Pete Mc
Pete Mc

December 29th, 2008, 1:05 am #7

The wife and I tried to park and start the day at Silver Fir with plans to cross over to Hyak. Always seems like a new excuse for why they don't have that chair running, new chair or not. They claimed 3 inches of freezing rain was delaying the opening this morning. Didn't seem to effect any of the other chairs on the mountain though

Ya, you didn't miss much lumpy and glumpy with low visibility made for pretty poor conditions.

Peter
Peter

December 29th, 2008, 1:11 am #8

It turned out to be very lucky that the iced stopped them from running Silver Fir, around 1:00 a large tree fell onto the line right near the bottom. They said the lift was not damaged and will hopefully be open tomorrow.

December 29th, 2008, 3:29 am #9

Good to hear that everyone was OK. What tires were those?
You didn't miss much...

Thick and gloppy, wet and sloppy, gear all soppy 12/28/08 Hyak. Heavy overcast, light fog, and snowing wet, sloppy flakes. Temp was 29F, and winds were 5-10 MPH at the top of the Kechelus chair when we loaded up at 0845. The lifty (Steve?) said his personal goal this year was to early load all season long whenever hes scheduled for opening. Good man. Snow cover was 4 inches of new NW slurpy over a nicely consolidated base on the groomers, really heavy going off-road though. Did watch some brave soul with good knees straightline the big Dino chute with a midway hop. Looked good. First tracks down a couple of the flatter trails were amusing, but things started to set up , so we bailed before noon. Slid right onto the lift all morning long even though the main lot was full with what I guess was mostly cross-country skiers.
The tires on the Escape are Continental Contitracs... experience has proven they normally have very good traction.

Starting to look into getting a new SUV... I hate car shopping.

December 29th, 2008, 3:25 pm #10

Sorry to see what the freezing rain did to you, but good to hear you are all ok. I had to zip up to Hyak this AM (forgot my work laptop) and saw someone had hit an elk at exit 38 (the area must be cursed).

The freezing rain Saturday sure made a mess of all the snow turning it into heavy slog with a top crust. Sunday's snow helped though, but I have yet to hit the slopes. We had friends come up and we took the kids sledding. I'll try to get up this week if I can break away from work.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997