franklin falls

franklin falls

da duke
da duke

September 11th, 2007, 6:17 am #1

Nice picture - where is franklin falls?

September 11th, 2007, 7:26 am #2

Just a couple miles down from Alpental. Take the Denny Creek road from Alpental as it winds around until you find an area where you see lots of cars parking, and an obvious trail (you will see hand-rails and small bridge). It is only about a 20 min hike from the road. You can park further down the road and hike further if you want since the trail follows the road a few miles down.

It is suppose to be a 'pay' area, but I've never paid to park.

There is also a Denny Creek waterslide that is really cool. It is flat rolling rocks that water flows over. In the heat its cool. It is a bit further down the road and you go across a walking bridge over the river.

(stole this photo from the web since I don't have one handy)

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997
Last edited by hyak on September 11th, 2007, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

mw
mw

September 11th, 2007, 1:49 pm #3

"It is suppose to be a 'pay' area, but I've never paid to park. "

Be careful about that. Last year after a great hike with the kids we got back to the parking area and a ranger was waiting there giving out tickets for dogs "off leash" and parking fines. I got hit for $125 on the dog leash but I did have a yearly parking pass, which she made me show her. The biggest problem with paying for the parking is that you have to go all the way to the North Bend ranger station to pay or back to the pass near West where there is a vending machine. You can`t pay on site at the parking area. The year before the same thing happened at the Gold Creek trail head, but that time the ranger was there when we arrived and was sending cars away that didn't have a pass.

September 11th, 2007, 3:57 pm #4

Given the amount of crime that hits the trailheads from time to time I'd hate to bee known as a unarmed Ranger with a pocketful of cash. The passes aren't going away anytime soon. I'm not a fan of the system but I still by one.

TomK
TomK

September 11th, 2007, 4:44 pm #5

"It is suppose to be a 'pay' area, but I've never paid to park. "

Be careful about that. Last year after a great hike with the kids we got back to the parking area and a ranger was waiting there giving out tickets for dogs "off leash" and parking fines. I got hit for $125 on the dog leash but I did have a yearly parking pass, which she made me show her. The biggest problem with paying for the parking is that you have to go all the way to the North Bend ranger station to pay or back to the pass near West where there is a vending machine. You can`t pay on site at the parking area. The year before the same thing happened at the Gold Creek trail head, but that time the ranger was there when we arrived and was sending cars away that didn't have a pass.
In addition to the ranger office in North Bend with it's limited hours of operation, you can also get a pass at the Great Outdoor shop in the factory outlet mall.

September 12th, 2007, 2:35 pm #6

Just a couple miles down from Alpental. Take the Denny Creek road from Alpental as it winds around until you find an area where you see lots of cars parking, and an obvious trail (you will see hand-rails and small bridge). It is only about a 20 min hike from the road. You can park further down the road and hike further if you want since the trail follows the road a few miles down.

It is suppose to be a 'pay' area, but I've never paid to park.

There is also a Denny Creek waterslide that is really cool. It is flat rolling rocks that water flows over. In the heat its cool. It is a bit further down the road and you go across a walking bridge over the river.

(stole this photo from the web since I don't have one handy)

The waterslide you talked about is that the one called "Slipery Slab", or is it another?

September 13th, 2007, 8:10 am #7

Not sure, but slippery slide does fit. I've only been there one time a few years ago and found it to be a very cool place. I liked it better then Franklin Falls, but my wife likes to hike to the falls.

Last edited by hyak on September 13th, 2007, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.