Eye on the East

Eye on the East

Hyakian
Hyakian

January 2nd, 2011, 12:55 am #1

New post

January 1, 2011 2:02 pm
Happy New Year everyone! 2011 is going to see the opening of the newly expanded Summit East! As you can see below weve been busy loading chairs onto the Hidden Valley lift and will do the same to East Peak shortly. Stay tuned for an opening synopsis.

Hopefully it will be this winter 2011 and not next winter 2011!

Cyclical01
Cyclical01

January 2nd, 2011, 6:35 am #2

They are just hanging chairs and still have load testing and electrical to do. We'll be lucky to see it open by the first weekend of Feb.

Potterymouth
Potterymouth

January 2nd, 2011, 6:02 pm #3

Now that Crystal's gondola is open, we could see a renewed effort at finishing up and opening Hyak? I sure hope so as my family bought 5 passes based on the opening of Hyak this Winter

January 3rd, 2011, 2:28 am #4

Yea, I bought 3 season passes based on Hyak being open. If it goes until feb to open I'll be very bummed.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

noj
noj

January 3rd, 2011, 3:31 am #5

PSE got power to the base of the triple the last week. Today 1/2 the chairs were on Hidden Valley with the balance to be finished Monday or Tuesday. Its running. The plan for the triple is to finish aligning the towers and add chairs end of this week. Load testing next. The triple was turning today on back up power and looks good. So stand bye Hyakers and will be open soon. I was there all day work was being done both front and back sides

Talley-Ho!

Noj

January 3rd, 2011, 4:00 am #6

The Summit posted a pic of the HV lift from below, taken Jan1.

EdS
EdS

January 3rd, 2011, 4:13 pm #7

Its encouraging to see maybe it will open this month. I am suprised in that photo one of the old wood pole bases from that cover over the old Dino is still there sticking up several feet out of the snow to the right of the lift. I remember seeing that earlier and assuming they would cut that off at the base, looks like a hazard to me.

January 3rd, 2011, 4:45 pm #8

New to hyak.net but a long time fan of Hyak. Ive been following eyeontheeast and see this message was added to the new year posting. Apologies if someone already posted this:
Please note: We very much want to get Summit East opened for you as soon as we possibly can! Unfortunately, despite our seven day a week efforts, our final steps are taking a bit longer than we had expected or hoped for. So please hang in there with us as we know the end result will be worth the wait! Please stay tuned later this week for more specific information on our projected opening date.

Sk
Sk

January 3rd, 2011, 9:23 pm #9

What a cluster you know what up there. Talking straight from the lead supervisor at the hyak project, he said that it would take a miracle to get hyak open in 3 weeks from now and 6 weeks would be a better estimate. The area won't give him anyone else to help finish the project up. He has had average of 8 workers a day and needs at least 21 workers from here on out. Another reason they are so far behind is because they originally put the wrong gears in the chair and spent last week swapping the gears from one chair to the next. He wouldn't be shocked if hyak doesn't open at all this season and neither would I. I want the moeny back on the 8 seasons pass my family bought to ski at hyak this season.

January 3rd, 2011, 9:37 pm #10

I had heard they put the wrong gears in the HV chair and that it ran way too fast so they had to be swapped out. I'd think the only hold up to Hyak opening would be the triple chair since they could run the area w/o the HV lift, and it seems the triple is way behind. I'm thinking mid Feb would be a good guess and that it might only be open for a few weeks at the most. (my guess)