conditions today

conditions today

March 31st, 2005, 11:00 pm #1

Man, that snow out there is HEAVY! Today at noon it was around 37 degrees and the snow is very heavy. I didn't get a run in because I was spending my time shoveling. There was about 10" of wet snow over where I had shoveled Tuesday at noon, so that would put the total at my Hyak cabin close to 3' (I'll say 30", or 2.5' just to be safe). Expect some rain later today, but they are predicting snow levels tomorrow to drop to 2,000' and up to another 12" of new snow to fall over top of this heavy wet stuff. If the forecast pans out then Saturday at Alpental will be awesome.

I hope to be able to get up on the lifts sometime this weekend..

mw
mw

April 1st, 2005, 4:43 pm #2

What has been your deepest reading at the cabin this season?

April 1st, 2005, 11:39 pm #3

The deepest reading was yesterday at close to 3'. Previous to that the most we had this season was maybe 20" or so. This snow does make a very good base because it is so wet/heavy and compacts well. Now we just need some cold weather to firm it up and maybe 6"-12" of drier snow to cover it up.

It rained most of last night up at Snoqualmie, but around 9:30 am it began to change to snow...... I'm currently in Yakima but will be heading back to the pass in about 30 min. My last check its still rain/snow mix but it should be changing to all snow later today.

TomK
TomK

April 1st, 2005, 11:54 pm #4

I was skiing up at West this AM and afternoon. There's better cover than there was when they were open. It's getting colder as the day goes on. Started with rain at the bottom, then mixed for a while when it was clearish (I saw blue sky in a few holes in the clouds), then over to snow showers around 1. It was snowing pretty hard when I left at 2, and is expected to get colder and snowier overnight. Enjoy Saturday at the Alp.

April 2nd, 2005, 2:12 am #5

We arrived back at the cabin around 5:30pm and it is snowing HARD. Visibility is poor for driving, but hopefully this will continue through the night. I'm going to try and get the OK from the wife to go over to Alpental for a couple hrs in the morning. She has a bum ankle right now so she's a bit limited...... If you see a guy in an oversized white hooded Hyak sweatshirt that will be me.

April 6th, 2005, 3:48 pm #6

Thursday... Showers. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Snow level 4500 feet. Afternoon pass temperatures in the 30s. West wind in the passes 10 to 15 mph.

Thursday night... Showers likely. Snow level 2500 feet. West wind in the passes 10 to 15 mph.

Friday... Snow likely. Snow level 3000 feet. Afternoon pass temperatures in the 30s. East wind in the passes around 10 mph shifting to the west in the afternoon.

Friday night... Showers likely. Snow level 2500 feet.

Saturday and saturday night... Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Snow level 3000 feet.

Sunday... Snow likely. Snow level 3000 feet.