Check this out...

Check this out...

January 11th, 2009, 8:24 am #1

I was looking at old Hyak photo's and found this one particularly interesting. This picture is from 1971 of the old POMA chair (before the Keechelus lift went in) and does that hole in the mtn look familiar?

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

January 11th, 2009, 2:54 pm #2

Great score on finding the photo. Hard to tell by the angle of this pic and the other whether it is the same spot - but more than likely is.

Looks like nature repeated itself? Perhaps the hole was filled in by natural soil movement over the years? Or by whoever owned the area back then? Me thinks that spring will keep popping up in that same spot over the years - especially with significant rain events...

January 11th, 2009, 3:05 pm #3

I was looking at old Hyak photo's and found this one particularly interesting. This picture is from 1971 of the old POMA chair (before the Keechelus lift went in) and does that hole in the mtn look familiar?

Stack says one of his co-workers had suggested that maybe that area had been filled in. He saw lots of stumps in the debris field.

January 12th, 2009, 12:10 am #4

Wow, like those would hold that slope back. Maybe build a rock wall using dry-masonry techniques - not cement - just high and tight contact between rocks and a good in-slope angle. (Cement is actually the weak point in a rock wall.)

Something like the CCC's did back in the day (Civilian Conservation Corp). Alot of their stuff still stands and they copied the techniques of ancient civilizations, especially South America and Northern Europe...

Labor intensive, fun to build, and they hold quite well against slumping soils...

Been there, did that, and even got a free shirt...Under Wilderness conditions - no machinary except grip hoists, pulleys, and cables...Lots of knapping with rock hammers and chisels.

But them rock walls hold well short of very powerful, local earthquake.

TNT
TNT

January 12th, 2009, 5:05 am #5

Jack,
Was the summer time road in this picture or did it come w/ the double chair?
Most of all... May I have a file of that pic sent to me @ tntjen@gmail.com.?

mel
mel

January 12th, 2009, 6:02 am #6

Stack says one of his co-workers had suggested that maybe that area had been filled in. He saw lots of stumps in the debris field.
I walked around the debris and I saw a lot of large rotted logs and stumps. To me this confirms that the terrain was filled in at one point with old stumps, logs, etc.

I have walked up the face of Hyak during the summer many times. Never have I seen any evidence of stumps or logs. Just brush and loose gravel. Especially loose just above the switchback in the FS road.

Also the bottom part of the hill has changed too. Lots of mini canyons carved a couple feet deep into the ground by all the water.

The damage is all very humbling to look at.

January 12th, 2009, 3:09 pm #7

Jack,
Was the summer time road in this picture or did it come w/ the double chair?
Most of all... May I have a file of that pic sent to me @ tntjen@gmail.com.?

Yeah, nature has a way of humbling us humans who think we're in control...

Mel, did you take any photos on your recent walk to the site and can you post a few?

I have s l o w dial-up, so youtube and stuff like that doesn't work so well - nor large jpg files.

January 13th, 2009, 2:31 am #8

Jack, do you have any other (more recent) summer pictures to compare this to? Stack was curious.

January 13th, 2009, 3:41 am #9

I have 11 years worth of photo's in the weekly photo section. I'm sure there must be at least one among them.

January 13th, 2009, 4:46 am #10

Ok, I found one. Not exactly the same angle but pretty darn close. It was 9/15/06. Click on "all sizes" to see it better <a href="" rel="nofollow"><span class="link">

</span></a>
Last edited by StackAndMisha on January 13th, 2009, 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.