Chair 64

Chair 64

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

May 1st, 2005, 3:43 am #1

I finally got over to see the remains of the old SkiBoggan shed today. Now that I've been there, it would be easy to get back... but it's hard to find. I counted 5 skiboggans... relatively complete, but completely totaled.

It looks to me as though at some point in the last 20 years or so, the cliff let loose and crushed everything in its path. I can't imagine building in a rock garden like that. And I can't imagine running the lifts up through it either. The boulders continue right down the face of the old lift. I'm guessing the path out of there was the way to get to the rope that took you the rest of the way up.

My son and his friend had a blast, once we got there, but on the way they complained a lot and thought I was crazy!

May 1st, 2005, 5:20 am #2

I'm hoping someday to see a photo of the building complete before it collapsed. I'm told my some of the Hyak oldtimers that the building was pretty big and had a large deck overlooking the slope. They said it stood for a long time after the area closed, up til around 1970 or so I believe. I don't know how much wandering you did, but if you go about 50 yards south-east from the building you run into the upper section of the ski jump. Near the ski jump you run into another building where all that is left is the roof and a long pipe from a wood stove that was inside. I don't believe the rocks from the cliffs did the damage to the Tally-ho building cuz from what I hear it was the snow that did it all in.

I'm glad you found the area..... After I heard the rumor of ski boggans on the mtn I spent 3 years of/on looking. When I finally found them I realized I was way off on where I thought the would be. I was looking more by the ski jump area and in the trees not realizing it was further up the mtn and further north of the jumps.

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

May 1st, 2005, 7:03 am #3

As I think I mentioned before, one of my good friends helped to disassemble the ski jumps a few years after the snow crushed them. They became the jumps at Konsberger (sp?) ski club. There was a lot of wood in those jumps.

Perhaps it was snow damage that took the building down... but that big bolder almost in the center of the building sure looks to me like it arrived after construction. Everything of any value is LONG since gone, that's for sure. Only rotted timbers, a couple of footings (with the bolts even removed from the holes) and the rusty ski boggan remains are there. Some time later this year we will go looking for the ski jumps. I think I have awakened the explorer instinct in couple young boys

Also, you were looking for Hyak posters... I am still looking into that. The previously mentioned friend was on one of those from about 1971 doing a tip-drop (if memory serves). It is too big to scan, but I should be able to get a digital photo of it, and maybe one or two others besides. Look for those in the next few weeks, if I don't get too busy.

May 1st, 2005, 3:49 pm #4

There is one portion of a rope tow from the Milwaukee Ski Bowl that still remains. In the uppper portion of the Hyak cabin area just below the jump landing there is an empty lot that has what is left of a rope tow shack and the tree with the old wheels that held the rope. I don't remember the name of the road, but its the road that goes above the lower cross-country trails and is close to the fire hydrant (opposite side of street). You can see the crushed building from the road if you look real close and the engine is still there inside the crushed building. So far it is the only remains of a MSB rope tow I've found, but I have yet to explore the top of Rocky Peak to see if the uppper section of that rope tow still exists...

May 1st, 2005, 9:35 pm #5

I finally got over to see the remains of the old SkiBoggan shed today. Now that I've been there, it would be easy to get back... but it's hard to find. I counted 5 skiboggans... relatively complete, but completely totaled.

It looks to me as though at some point in the last 20 years or so, the cliff let loose and crushed everything in its path. I can't imagine building in a rock garden like that. And I can't imagine running the lifts up through it either. The boulders continue right down the face of the old lift. I'm guessing the path out of there was the way to get to the rope that took you the rest of the way up.

My son and his friend had a blast, once we got there, but on the way they complained a lot and thought I was crazy!
so, where is the skiboggan shed, anyway? is it easily accessible?

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

May 1st, 2005, 10:55 pm #6

Approximately at chair 64 of the Dino, head East. Plan on a steep climb and a lot of bushwhacking. If you go higher than 64, you'll be heading onto the cliffs. Once you've found it, you'll also find an easier exit.

May 2nd, 2005, 12:23 am #7

There should be a narrow trail cutting through the trees if you look around. Incase you are not sure what is meant by chair 64, its the number on the back of one of the chairs of the Dino lift. Just hike up the clearing under the lift and when you see chair 64 look for the trail that cuts through the trees. Its steep and if your not careful you can take a nasty fall. I would advise hiking boots over tennis shoes for sure. If you head over by the jump be careful of loose rocks..... The ground in that area is very unstable and chunks of the jump are known to roll down the mtn.

May 5th, 2005, 9:51 pm #8

Here are a couple pictures of the remains of the ropetow I was talking about. First picture is the collapsed shack and the second photo is the wheels that used to guide the rope.