brushcutting?

brushcutting?

October 9th, 2007, 6:29 am #1

I was curious if anyone (Peter or Jack?) noticed any brushcutting going on at Hyak? I was curious if the recent dusting at Alpental would get people scrambling a bit more or not. Last week I checked Snogs' cams and West looked freshly cut, although I could be mistaken.

EdS
EdS

October 9th, 2007, 1:57 pm #2

The only brushcutting they have been doing is along the road to the top and all the x-country trails in the back side. Nothing on the trails since the stuff they did this early this summer. I would think they are not doing anymore on the trails this year at this point in time. Some of the trails like under the dino will need to be logged by the time they get around to cutting it.
ed

peter
peter

October 9th, 2007, 4:48 pm #3

both the spider and the aebi have been out on the hill. much of the spider work is happening on the upper cross over trail right now. the aebi has been poking around off the roads where it can go. both machines break down a great deal....when we put the machines away for the season I'll post what we got to this season and where we hope to get to next....yes, some stuff will have to be logged by the time we get to it.

October 9th, 2007, 5:57 pm #4

Peter, was any work done on the collapsed bridge on the crossover trail? Seems with the bridge out this could delay opening of the trail under low snow conditions? I had brought this to the attention of the area many years ago when the bridge had started to crack, but it now is completely down.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

TomK
TomK

October 10th, 2007, 1:35 am #5

The collapsed bridge sure made it tougher on the route back to Silver Fir for the first couple of weekends. After the snow filled it in, the dip was a stall spot for the boarders. If it's been fixed or replaced that would be great "See - we are fixing things instead of letting the place rot" PR. A fix would even be better for the creek since the flow would be unimpeded by any debris from the old bridge.

October 10th, 2007, 4:09 pm #6

I found the 2005 photo I took and emailed Booth back when the bridge was just starting to fail. The bad side is now completely in the creek.

Tomk
Tomk

October 12th, 2007, 1:46 am #7

I wonder if the span needed is less than a railroad car?
I've seen old flatbed railroad cars with the wheels and suspensions removed used as drop-in bridges several times. Certainly not good for vehicle use, but more than enough strength for foot traffic and snow loads I would think.

It's an idea to kick around as a short term solution.

October 12th, 2007, 5:30 am #8

That might work but the two problems are, one, the nearest train is in North Bend and two, how do you get it up there?

TomK
TomK

October 12th, 2007, 6:42 am #9

Details details...
Semi truck to the Hyak parking lot.
Then helicopter for the last bit to pull out the old and drop in the new on top of the old bridge's end supports.
Skycranes are available for rent. 20,000 pound load capacity.

Of course, they would have to pencil out a build-in-place replacement as an alternative, but I bet a railcar frame would take the weight of a snowcat while a handbuilt footbridge would only handle snowmobiles. (original cause of collapse?)

October 12th, 2007, 12:36 pm #10

The bridge is very close to the clearing for the power lines. I think the flatbed would be overkill as the span is not more then maybe 12'. I'll hike up again tomorrow and snap a photo of the downed bridge and also measure the length.

I doubt any of this will encourage the area to fix it, but it will give me something to do. It is also fairly close to my cabin.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997