Awesome season

Awesome season

April 2nd, 2012, 4:49 pm #1

A bit of a slow December and January, but from late Jan through March the season kicked butt. Sad to know the lifts are now going to be idle until next fall, but I did hear a rumor that they might keep Alpental open into June?
Thanks to the Summit and all at Hyak that made it all possible. Looking forward already to next season.

end of season
end of season

April 6th, 2012, 8:55 pm #2

Yeah sad to see the lifts closed down at Hyak, especially with the mega snow pack. It was a great season and we need to give some well deserved raves to a couple of groups out there.

First the awesome lifties who worked wonders with the equipment that the CAB (Cheap A$$ Boyne) management gave them. I mean lifts that were not designed, installed, built correctly, and the lack of functioning grooming machines. They also have a great attitude and made my ski days a little better.

The second group is the volunteer ski patrol. Those men and women worked hard to keep us safe and if you did not realize it they had the mountain open a half hour early every day which translates into at least two full days of skiing for us. They apparently do this because they love Hyak and feel like its something special they can do for the skiing public. I talked with a couple of patrollers at the end of the season and was surprised that this is totally their effort not managements! Way to go redcoats! Oh yeah and they get almost nothing for their efforts, barely a thank you from CAB management. Please join me in calling CAB management and praise their efforts.

Now a couple of rants:
Area ambassadors. Does anybody know what they do other than occupy spaces on the lifts. What a bunch of free loaders! And get this they work (yeah right) 4 hour shifts (unpaid as they are volunteers) a minimum requirement of 10 days through the season and get the same benefits as the volunteer patrollers ( who work open to close and many of them put in more than 20 days) oh yeah and a free coat! What a slap in the face to the volunteers with crosses on their backs and an insult to the paying public.

CAB - See above. You are shutting us down at the peak of an epic snow season! Look all over the rest of the country and you can see we have the best skiing in the US right now. I guess it might be too much to get creative and toss a few good deals to students and their families or other groups on spring break to keep Hyak open so that you make MORE money. One word of advice. Next time you plan on building anything please hire real architects, engineers, surveyors, and contractors to build it. It must be embarassing to not get lift towers in the right place, in the correct alignment(I mean how hard is it to build something in a straight line?)and even get the numbers on towers correctly. Even if it results in a derail and chair evac (by the way the volunteer patrol did an awesome job of getting us off the broken lift, right?)you saved a ton of money. Way to go CAB

Looking forward to next season, see you all in the fall!

April 6th, 2012, 10:40 pm #3

Well I cruised on over to Alpy this morning and spent the day skating right up to the "load here" block at C2. The snowpack is mind boggling up there I skied right past the entrance to Rollen, didn't even recognize it. And Nash doesn't have an "entrance," it's just a bumpy intermediate run. Wow!

Tomorrow at Ski Acres will be silky roostertails in brilliant, warm sunshine, c'mon out!! Woo hoo!

Mikey

I want to be like rants and raves
I want to be like rants and raves

April 7th, 2012, 2:05 pm #4

Yeah sad to see the lifts closed down at Hyak, especially with the mega snow pack. It was a great season and we need to give some well deserved raves to a couple of groups out there.

First the awesome lifties who worked wonders with the equipment that the CAB (Cheap A$$ Boyne) management gave them. I mean lifts that were not designed, installed, built correctly, and the lack of functioning grooming machines. They also have a great attitude and made my ski days a little better.

The second group is the volunteer ski patrol. Those men and women worked hard to keep us safe and if you did not realize it they had the mountain open a half hour early every day which translates into at least two full days of skiing for us. They apparently do this because they love Hyak and feel like its something special they can do for the skiing public. I talked with a couple of patrollers at the end of the season and was surprised that this is totally their effort not managements! Way to go redcoats! Oh yeah and they get almost nothing for their efforts, barely a thank you from CAB management. Please join me in calling CAB management and praise their efforts.

Now a couple of rants:
Area ambassadors. Does anybody know what they do other than occupy spaces on the lifts. What a bunch of free loaders! And get this they work (yeah right) 4 hour shifts (unpaid as they are volunteers) a minimum requirement of 10 days through the season and get the same benefits as the volunteer patrollers ( who work open to close and many of them put in more than 20 days) oh yeah and a free coat! What a slap in the face to the volunteers with crosses on their backs and an insult to the paying public.

CAB - See above. You are shutting us down at the peak of an epic snow season! Look all over the rest of the country and you can see we have the best skiing in the US right now. I guess it might be too much to get creative and toss a few good deals to students and their families or other groups on spring break to keep Hyak open so that you make MORE money. One word of advice. Next time you plan on building anything please hire real architects, engineers, surveyors, and contractors to build it. It must be embarassing to not get lift towers in the right place, in the correct alignment(I mean how hard is it to build something in a straight line?)and even get the numbers on towers correctly. Even if it results in a derail and chair evac (by the way the volunteer patrol did an awesome job of getting us off the broken lift, right?)you saved a ton of money. Way to go CAB

If you dont like the way they do things at the resort go elsewhere. You are most likely the best in the world at everything you do. I think the next time the resort builds a lift you should spearhead the build. You seem to know so much about lift design it should be no problem for you. The only valid point you have is volunteer patrol does a great job and the liftie's are great. You should go see the other great resorts of Washington, I'm sure their lifts never ever break down or have never had to be evacuated. You are likely to have a better time. You dont have no respect for all the hard work and dollars that went into hyak so you could once again enjoy all the great terrain there. There is one other option you could just walk up the hill since the lifts are so horrible and may break down at any time. You could wave at the ambassador's as they go by on the lift occupying your seat. Im sure you would enjoy walking up the hill much more thats a way better way to access the terrain and then you never have to worrie about the lift design, or break downs hence enjoying your day much more.

smile its a great to know your the best in the world and are free of any imperfections.

Meh
Meh

April 7th, 2012, 2:45 pm #5

It's pretty common knowledge at this point that mistakes were made when that lift was installed, mistakes which lead to said break down and evac.
Hyak is a for-proffit business, people pay for a service and have every right to complain if they don't like what was delivered.
That said, the patrol are there for the love of it and are deserving of props.

Lastly, you pretty much invalidate everything you have had to say with your attitude.

Hyakian
Hyakian

April 8th, 2012, 6:02 pm #6

If you dont like the way they do things at the resort go elsewhere. You are most likely the best in the world at everything you do. I think the next time the resort builds a lift you should spearhead the build. You seem to know so much about lift design it should be no problem for you. The only valid point you have is volunteer patrol does a great job and the liftie's are great. You should go see the other great resorts of Washington, I'm sure their lifts never ever break down or have never had to be evacuated. You are likely to have a better time. You dont have no respect for all the hard work and dollars that went into hyak so you could once again enjoy all the great terrain there. There is one other option you could just walk up the hill since the lifts are so horrible and may break down at any time. You could wave at the ambassador's as they go by on the lift occupying your seat. Im sure you would enjoy walking up the hill much more thats a way better way to access the terrain and then you never have to worrie about the lift design, or break downs hence enjoying your day much more.

smile its a great to know your the best in the world and are free of any imperfections.
Are you part of the ski team?

Hyaker
Hyaker

April 9th, 2012, 2:22 am #7

Now that last comment was funny...we should all remember some people just ain't happy unless they got something to bitch about. Lifts are fine...better than what was there. The derail was a fluke...probly won't see another one of those. Ski patrol...awesome group of people...Nuff said! Lifties...way cool. The bar crew...well they know how to poor a drink! I always say I would rather be riding a lift in the rain at hyak...than riding a shuttle up the road!

Flyin' Hawaiians' rule!

HAYK
HAYK

April 17th, 2012, 9:36 pm #8

Now a couple of rants:

YOUR A LAME DUCK.

Last edited by hyak on April 17th, 2012, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.