Avalanche Update

Avalanche Update

January 7th, 2009, 10:40 pm #1

Latest photo's posted here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hyak/sets/ ... 480/detail/

Please keep the information coming! It looks like through the photo's that at least 2 towers have been taken out by the slide, and Norm's place. Any other cabins/homes damaged? Anyone injured? Good thing there were no hikers.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

January 7th, 2009, 11:05 pm #2

This photo taken by the WSDOT gives a good angle to see where the slide went. You can't tell how close it got to Sundance, but it appears Suncrest is out of its flow.

January 7th, 2009, 11:29 pm #3

It also appears road 9070 has been taken out at the curve as well. I'm going to try to make it up tomorrow to view the damage in person, if the pass opens. I also need to check on my cabin to see how it is holding up.

January 7th, 2009, 11:31 pm #4

Sorry I can't tell you much other than to say that the road in front of your place looked good and it didn't look like any water was rushing over it toward your entry when we drove by immediately after the slide. That's all I know.

January 7th, 2009, 11:40 pm #5

Thanks! Much appreciated update.

January 7th, 2009, 11:44 pm #6

Hope they'll let the residents that aren't already up here come check their places. I haven't heard any chatter on the radio about a possibility of opening (other than before the slide). NWCN is now stating on their ticker that Hyak is being evacuated, but I think (hope) that's "old" news about the areas already cleared. They never did come down our way.

Looks like I'm gonna have a little spike in my Flickr stats

I'm uploading a few newer pics to my page (sorry, it takes so long to send them to yours via email). Stack says he's worried another tower is going to go, and start up more trouble. I suspect that's what the officials are worried about too.

January 7th, 2009, 11:57 pm #7

How many Towers have already gone down? and are they on the same lift or some on both??

JW

January 8th, 2009, 12:23 am #8

It appears 2 are gone and a 3rd is falling. All on Keechelus, so I'd guess Little Gold is ok. If more dirt slides you never know what will happen though.

NKB
NKB

January 8th, 2009, 6:25 am #9

Hope they'll let the residents that aren't already up here come check their places. I haven't heard any chatter on the radio about a possibility of opening (other than before the slide). NWCN is now stating on their ticker that Hyak is being evacuated, but I think (hope) that's "old" news about the areas already cleared. They never did come down our way.

Looks like I'm gonna have a little spike in my Flickr stats

I'm uploading a few newer pics to my page (sorry, it takes so long to send them to yours via email). Stack says he's worried another tower is going to go, and start up more trouble. I suspect that's what the officials are worried about too.
Hi, found the Hyak forum today (after 10 yrs of having a home there! )
We are at the corner of Chamonix going up the hill...#33. Is there damage or any flooding there that anyone knows of?
tx much
Nancy

January 8th, 2009, 3:31 pm #10

It's not quite light out but we'll go around and take some new shots. I'll check on your place, Nancy.