Apartment is down.........

Apartment is down.........

Jack
Jack

August 20th, 2010, 12:16 pm #1

The apartment has been bulldozed down, but the rental shop is still up. I had no idea there was so much still in there from the old Hyak and PacWest days as far as ski's, poles, boots, etc.....looks like it is in the thousands. I was blown away.

Last edited by hyak on August 21st, 2010, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 21st, 2010, 1:45 am #2

BTW, anyone wanting old vintage rental gear should head to the old rental shack this weekend. There are thousands of ski's/boots/poles dating back to the old Mt Hyak Ski area days through PacWest. I liked the Heidelberg K2 ski's myself and grabbed a few sets for the wall. Anyone know if they were made just for Hyak, or what the story is on them?

The rental shack will be bulldozed next week with all contents, so have at it..there is no shortage of gear. Also LOTS of ski boot trees...

ice
ice

August 21st, 2010, 9:30 pm #3

I guess we can count our chickens

Snoqualmie Guy
Snoqualmie Guy

August 22nd, 2010, 12:05 am #4

I'm assuming they don't care people walking in there and taking the stuff?

hyakblake
hyakblake

August 22nd, 2010, 1:56 am #5

Jack-if you have a chance could you pick up a pair of K2 Heidelbergs for us to mount on our basement wall. From the neighbor you bought the snowblower from. We will be up there next weekend which sounds like it will be a little late. Thanks

August 22nd, 2010, 10:49 am #6

Sure.....got some for ya.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

Hyakblake
Hyakblake

August 22nd, 2010, 7:05 pm #7

Thanks Jack. Back when I first started skiing - a good friend of our family who owned Alpine Helicopters was the guy who flew the towers in for the Dino chair. It seemed in the late 70's the water tower was painted with a Heidelberg beer logo. If this was the case - my memory seems to be a little foggy for a few years in that period of time - there may have been a sponsorship or marketing campaign with Heidelberg beer which at the time was brewed in Tacoma. I have always skied only on K2 skis and have never seen the Heidelbergs anywhere other than at Hyak.

August 22nd, 2010, 8:32 pm #8

Yes, the water tower was originally painted as a Heidelberg beer can. I believe Olympia brewing bought out Heidelberg and the tower was re-painted as an Oly can. I'm guessing these Heidelberg K2's date into the 70's.

Joyful Skier
Joyful Skier

August 22nd, 2010, 8:46 pm #9

BTW, anyone wanting old vintage rental gear should head to the old rental shack this weekend. There are thousands of ski's/boots/poles dating back to the old Mt Hyak Ski area days through PacWest. I liked the Heidelberg K2 ski's myself and grabbed a few sets for the wall. Anyone know if they were made just for Hyak, or what the story is on them?

The rental shack will be bulldozed next week with all contents, so have at it..there is no shortage of gear. Also LOTS of ski boot trees...

Jack, I am curious. Are you speaking with official authority of the Ski Area management? If not, this could cause problems.

August 22nd, 2010, 9:34 pm #10

I am not management and have no affiliation to the ski area. I just know if the ski gear is left in the building it will be bulldozed and put into a dumpster so what is the point of leaving it there if someone can find use of it.
The current owner of the equipment gave me personally the go ahead to take what I want since the ski area, or current owners of the building had no use of it. If the ski area wants to keep people out they can, but there were ski area folks around friday when we were inside the building and they just waved.