Ants

Ants

July 15th, 2011, 9:09 pm #1

Seems we have a few ants around our place.
Normal?
Advice on how to control them?

Thanks

Barb Quirie
Barb Quirie

July 15th, 2011, 11:04 pm #2

For the past 20 years, Ed has put a white ant powder around the house during carpenter ant season. Some people spray, but we just go to the ACE hardware in N Bend and the stuff works every time.

July 15th, 2011, 11:16 pm #3

I've had them around a couple times, but normally not much of an issue with me. Guess it just depends on where you are. I had a couple years of mice bothering me but that passed, then lately it is squirrels getting in and going after my bread when I'm gone.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

July 16th, 2011, 3:34 am #4

Seems we have a few ants around our place.
Normal?
Advice on how to control them?

Thanks
...don't sign up for Terminix. We had a contract with them that they'd only come out in the months that there wasn't snow on the ground. Then after a couple of years apparently they didn't like doing that any more, and wanted to go to this quarterly deal...which costs more than having them come up the 5 or 6 times a year we wanted them (and if it's quarterly they'd only come twice but we'd pay a yearly fee).

I agree with Barb: do it yourself. We do the spray stuff, but no matter what you choose you need to do it regularly during the warmer/non-freezing months. We have the Carpenter Ants try to sneak into the house every year. In fact, when we bought the house it was infested and we had to have the whole place tented. It was crazy but necessary because in our case they were embedded into the soft foam insulation in the roof.

July 16th, 2011, 3:37 am #5

I've had them around a couple times, but normally not much of an issue with me. Guess it just depends on where you are. I had a couple years of mice bothering me but that passed, then lately it is squirrels getting in and going after my bread when I'm gone.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997
Couldn't help but LOL. How on earth are they getting inside your place? Do you have an open fireplace chimney or something??

And are you sure it's the squirrels? Those chipmunks are really too smart for their own good. The only one that's managed to make it into my place was brought in by Smokey through a window she pried open when I was gone.http://www.flickr.com/photos/misha-stac ... 933546243/
Last edited by StackAndMisha on July 16th, 2011, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barb Q.
Barb Q.

July 16th, 2011, 7:48 pm #6

...don't sign up for Terminix. We had a contract with them that they'd only come out in the months that there wasn't snow on the ground. Then after a couple of years apparently they didn't like doing that any more, and wanted to go to this quarterly deal...which costs more than having them come up the 5 or 6 times a year we wanted them (and if it's quarterly they'd only come twice but we'd pay a yearly fee).

I agree with Barb: do it yourself. We do the spray stuff, but no matter what you choose you need to do it regularly during the warmer/non-freezing months. We have the Carpenter Ants try to sneak into the house every year. In fact, when we bought the house it was infested and we had to have the whole place tented. It was crazy but necessary because in our case they were embedded into the soft foam insulation in the roof.
Ed says the stuff he uses is called:Terro Ant Killer (dust) and also: Grants Kills Ants (Carpenter Ant and Termite killer--dust)--Both products really work well. He sprinkles it close to the foundation all around the house at the first sign of ants (usually you can tell because of the wings--they fly at first). We have been here now 21 years this summer and never had a problem with them. No mice or squirrels either because we have sealed every opening between the concrete foundation, and around the doors. Our cats are very disappointed about this. Ed says don't depend on foam but use a good, hard physical barrier material. Hope that helps. Are we going to have a summer that allows us some swims in the lake?????????????????

Sam
Sam

July 18th, 2011, 7:58 pm #7

includes dealing with ants, squirrels, and mice. I've dealt with all three. I agree with the advice given here on ants, put something or spray something around the foundation of your house and you should not have a problem with ants. I use a spray and usually do it twice per summer if we don't have a lot of rain which washes it away. This year I may do it three or four times! Whenever the temp warms up after a wet period you will see the ants.

I call it mousing season when it first gets cold in the fall because that is when they like to come in. No PETA friendly traps up here, just get rid of them with the old fashioned spring loaded traps. I've sealed up all the cracks and openings in our house with remodeling our downstairs and last year we did not get any. My record year was 28 so seal those gaps!

Squirrels are nothing but rats with cute bushy tails. Don't let them fool you or anyone tell you otherwise. They can be a complete menace to your house. We had squirrels in our rafters and in one wall a few winters ago. They love living in your nice warm and insulated house during the winter and once they have made it their home they only way to get rid of them is to trap them and get rid of them (deep six em). It remains to be seen what damage they did to the insulation in our roof but last winter it was evident the roof has a warm spot where they were staying from the melting snow and icicles that formed below which we did not have previous to the squirrels. My guess is they were living up near the furnace exhaust where it was nice and warm and they were using other parts of the house as their food storage. When I began remolding our basement this year I took out large sections of the sheet rock in the ceiling to get at the electrical and found a couple gigantic stores of squirrel food. They were getting in the house from under the eves of our roof and had chewed right through the flimsy wire the builder had installed in the soffit vents. So I installed tung & groove under the eves and used the heavy duty wire mesh to vent it. It remains to be seen what damage they did to the insulation in our roof but when I re-do our upstairs bath I will be opening it up and finding out. Squirrels can be really dangerous and will eat through anything including your electrical wiring so beware of the squirrels around your house and keep an eye out for any way they may be able to access your house. They can literally cause thousands of dollars of damage to your house so be proactive. I "caught" our problem before it got really bad but wish I had been more proactive.

July 18th, 2011, 8:18 pm #8

Which brings me to my next question...
I am in need of a contractor to install some solid wire mesh around our eves to keep out squirrels. I would do it myself, but the work is a couple of stories high, and I am not getting any younger.

Recomendations?