Alpental Racing Team

Alpental Racing Team

January 9th, 2006, 5:36 pm #1

I was up all weekend with my family and several other paying skiers, some who buy season passes only to ski and ride at Hyak! We were all incredibly dissapointed at the amount of the face the Alpental Ski Team took up. On Saturday they left all of us with a 10ft strip of groomed face. Additionally they blocked off the lower trail down the switchback. This not only poses a huge hazard for the skiing public given the proximity to the towers, but effectively keeps those of who choose to access Roz's run unable to do so! On Sunday they attempted to do the same thing but fortunately the Ski Patrol intervened on our behalf. When asked why they practice at Hyak, I was told because they received to many complaints from skiers at Alpental! Additionally< I watched as countless numbers of the ski team bombed down the back runs in a tuck, then hit the lower access which was full of skiers and Cross country skiers at full speed! At one point I saw a group of these "racers" being led by one of the instructors again bombing down a beginner run. I also witnessed an instructor encourage his racers to build a jump on the lower hill and watched as several kids went off it! What this has to do with running gates, I don't know!!!!

If this group has to practice racing at Hyak, then they need to be practicing racing, on their course, not tucking down the back runs and creating huge hazards for all of the beginners who enjoy these back runs. I pray my 6 year old daughter never gets run over by one of these individuals!

I know several individuals who will be e-mailing boothcreek regarding this situation, hopefully it can be resolved to the satisfaction of all!

January 9th, 2006, 6:17 pm #2

I've had my problems with them over the years. Yesterday I witnessed one kid who was impatient waiting for the chair to resume (stopped for a couple minutes) as he was about 10' from the unload station, so he JUMPED off the chair. One of the adult TAS folks yelled at him, but the liftie and/or ski patrol did nothing. If this kid was not wearing a TAS jacket he would have been tossed and his ticket pulled.

The problem starts at the top and those who are in charge of that group do not stress that these rude folks are not above the regulars who visit the area. I talked to Bob and he mentioned that Saturday they brought the scanner over and found 6 of them did not even have ski passes and were booted. I wish they would use a scanner more often at Hyak as I was not checked at all while I was there (free skiing I guess).

TomK
TomK

January 9th, 2006, 8:06 pm #3

They did start scanning tickets in the afternoon of Sunday, but yeah, most of the morning it was just mount up and ride.
I also heard one of the coaches tell a couple of them to "go to the end of the line like everyone else" when 2 of them tried to cut in on the lift line when it started to get longish. Can't recall if they TAS, or the Buddy Warner's though.

john smith
john smith

January 9th, 2006, 11:31 pm #4

I was up all weekend with my family and several other paying skiers, some who buy season passes only to ski and ride at Hyak! We were all incredibly dissapointed at the amount of the face the Alpental Ski Team took up. On Saturday they left all of us with a 10ft strip of groomed face. Additionally they blocked off the lower trail down the switchback. This not only poses a huge hazard for the skiing public given the proximity to the towers, but effectively keeps those of who choose to access Roz's run unable to do so! On Sunday they attempted to do the same thing but fortunately the Ski Patrol intervened on our behalf. When asked why they practice at Hyak, I was told because they received to many complaints from skiers at Alpental! Additionally< I watched as countless numbers of the ski team bombed down the back runs in a tuck, then hit the lower access which was full of skiers and Cross country skiers at full speed! At one point I saw a group of these "racers" being led by one of the instructors again bombing down a beginner run. I also witnessed an instructor encourage his racers to build a jump on the lower hill and watched as several kids went off it! What this has to do with running gates, I don't know!!!!

If this group has to practice racing at Hyak, then they need to be practicing racing, on their course, not tucking down the back runs and creating huge hazards for all of the beginners who enjoy these back runs. I pray my 6 year old daughter never gets run over by one of these individuals!

I know several individuals who will be e-mailing boothcreek regarding this situation, hopefully it can be resolved to the satisfaction of all!
Before you say something get the facts. If you do not you will look bad, and your words will have no credibility.

January 10th, 2006, 1:38 am #5

What facts.
Fact is more than half the face was blocked off. About 15 ft ally next to thier ropes.
And these people act as if they own the place and are above the rules the rest of us abide by or lose the privledge.
Is there something Im missing???

signed, Paying customer.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 10th, 2006, 4:23 am #6

I've had my problems with them over the years. Yesterday I witnessed one kid who was impatient waiting for the chair to resume (stopped for a couple minutes) as he was about 10' from the unload station, so he JUMPED off the chair. One of the adult TAS folks yelled at him, but the liftie and/or ski patrol did nothing. If this kid was not wearing a TAS jacket he would have been tossed and his ticket pulled.

The problem starts at the top and those who are in charge of that group do not stress that these rude folks are not above the regulars who visit the area. I talked to Bob and he mentioned that Saturday they brought the scanner over and found 6 of them did not even have ski passes and were booted. I wish they would use a scanner more often at Hyak as I was not checked at all while I was there (free skiing I guess).
The patrol has been battling these little brats for years…. and have taken the brunt of the publics frustration and have been passing on your complaints for years to the area management at some point when you have been blown off enough times by the area you just give in…. It’s sad but the management figures better at Hyak then Alpental…

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

January 10th, 2006, 6:34 am #7

What facts.
Fact is more than half the face was blocked off. About 15 ft ally next to thier ropes.
And these people act as if they own the place and are above the rules the rest of us abide by or lose the privledge.
Is there something Im missing???

signed, Paying customer.
You guys sound just like the adults did back in the day I was on the team... and just like most skiers do when they talk about snowboarders, and especially a snowboarding event. Take a look at Central Park for instance. Sure, there are a few skier there, but mostly boarders... and it is a big part of the hill.

The race team always used to pay for "race lanes," I'm sure they still do today. The kids who are on the mountain 4-5 days a week do start to look down on the more casual users. That's normal social behavior: in-groups and out-groups. A behavior exaggerated during the teen years.

As for the tucking on the back runs... well, that's why Crystal setup "family skiing" areas and such. And the back runs definitely qualify as family runs... although they aren't marked. I'm frankly amazed that there aren't more accidents where the downhillers and CC skiers come together. The typical speed differential is pretty substantial.

I will admit to doing all the things you have mentioned, and I repent I'M SORRY ( Most of the time, if you REALLY want skiers got get used to going FAST at Snoqualmie Pass, you can't do it very well on a weekend. We used to go to Triple 60 (at night) after they'd groomed it, and if the course was clear, we'd take 3 or 4 big sweepers then drop into a tuck. That tends to build up speed FAST!! I still remember the downhill course set down International... THAT was scary!

Racers are not unlike many snowboarders: young, impatient, big attitudes, and they love the sport! Give them a break, NOBODY seems to want them anymore... if they ever did.

January 10th, 2006, 7:21 am #8

The only real issue I have with TAS is the line cutting, but more then that is the fact that the leaders of TAS obviously need to sit these kids down and run the rules of the hill by them. No jumping off the lift, no cutting in lines, watch below you, etc. I'm used to them taking the face, that's not a big deal to me because there are plenty of other areas to go, but they just need to be respectful of others...... It all starts at the top and if these kids have no respect for other skiers on the mtn then maybe the leaders of the group need some lessons themselves in respect for others. If the folks running the show (TAS) would just tell them not to cut lines, or whatever else they may do then I feel much of the problem would be resolved. It just boggles my mind that this issue never gets resolved year after year.

no names
no names

January 10th, 2006, 10:46 pm #9

The saftey issue is the most important item I've read of this thread. My suggestion is a video camera showing the course, the lift line, the reckless entrance onto creek. Picture don't lie. Show the recklessness of the racers scaring the Nordic, children, and just get them to the press and watch things start rolling.

yamaha
yamaha

January 10th, 2006, 11:39 pm #10

Jeez, relax. It's early in the season. Most of the racers will be out of town competing soon anyway. I assure you they will be reminded of skiers code of conduct. They are kids who need to be told do's and dont's each year.