Alpental closing?

Alpental closing?

Snoqualmie Guy
Snoqualmie Guy

April 7th, 2010, 10:03 pm #1

I was up on Alpental yestarday and read on the white board at chair 2 that the last day will be the 18th of April. Doesn't this seem early?

April 7th, 2010, 11:07 pm #2

I hear that they need to close early because they have to do work on Chair 2. They need to make a cattrack/snow road up to 2 so they can drag the parts down/up to save money on a helicopter which would be required if they wait until the snow is gone. That is the rumor I hear.

April 7th, 2010, 11:18 pm #3

Maybe they should keep west open longer if the reason they are closing Alpental is because of chair 2? We are getting a LOT of spring snow which should be enough to keep west going if they want to run it.

April 8th, 2010, 4:09 am #4

There is a snowboarding event at west scheduled for May 1 (Kinko de Mayo) that they had been advertising for a while. They probably don't need to run any lifts for the event (a la Holy Oly), but it would be nice if they at least ran Pacific Crest, especially if Alpy really does close on the 18th.

Snoqualmie Guy
Snoqualmie Guy

April 8th, 2010, 11:02 pm #5

I've heard they've cancelled kinko de mayo.

johnnyboy
johnnyboy

April 9th, 2010, 6:15 pm #6

I was up on Alpental yestarday and read on the white board at chair 2 that the last day will be the 18th of April. Doesn't this seem early?
If they need to close Alpy early... well that kind of a shame, but with all the GOOD news lately (Hyak expansion, Crystal Gondola, possible lighting up in Edelweiss bowl) it is a bit hard to complain without sounding like a whiner.

I hope the weather next winter matches all the work done!

We need to get the word out and get LOTS of people to come to Hyak (even though that is against the "keep-quiet" tradition) so that the numbers will justify additional investment. If Boyne spends the money and DOESN'T see return, Hyak's fortunes could turn South... again. Or is that what you want?

April 9th, 2010, 6:57 pm #7

I would like to see Hyak do well, enough so that night lights return! There is still plenty of out-of-bounds areas at Hyak to explore (the entire south side) so I'm not worried about no freshies. The excitement level will be high this summer, that is for sure.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

April 12th, 2010, 6:22 pm #8

Last edited by whippet2 on April 12th, 2010, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snoqualmie Guy
Snoqualmie Guy

April 12th, 2010, 9:30 pm #9

They did extend the ops on summit west. which is suprising.

April 12th, 2010, 11:25 pm #10

It is suppose to be very nice this weekend. Should be a great time on the mtns. I'm still recovering from ACL so no snow fun for me. At least I don't have to shovel any more in my leg brace...that was a pain in the butt.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997