A couple of relatively recent rumors:

A couple of relatively recent rumors:

April 23rd, 2012, 7:14 pm #1

It was pretty much one massive weenie roast at Acres all weekend. Especially Sunday, the sunshine was sizzling. Sad to see the chairs stop turning with over 100 inches of snowpack!

Anyway, the "tuned-in" local kids had a few tidbits of "news."

First, the Summit will indeed start construction on the new lodge at Silver Fir this summer, but apparently doesn't plan to have it completed until 2013. That will be a bummer during the 12/13 ski season, when the parking spaces are lost but the facility isn't in place. Still no definitive word on the brewery/bistro or the roof-top discotheque with the blue and green lasers, but I'm hopeful, since it will be stumbling distance from my house.

Second, apparently the project at the Rock Chalet is also a GO for this summer. It's described as a u-shaped strip mall with its central parking area facing the state highway. This layout seems extremely bizarre to me-- how will they remove snow?? Again, this project isn't expected to be completed this summer, but next. My opinion is that this development will probably be good for the Pass, give Mr. Shin some competition, raise the bar a little.

I've been waiting to hear about a deal on the motel, but haven't, and suspect that money pit is still swallowing victims at this point. A revitalized motel would be REALLY good news at the Pass. My wife and I had our wedding reception there shortly after it began operating and it was really fun... wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole now, though.

Keep the waxy side down, brothers and sisters, and we'll see y'all at Alpy next weekend...

April 23rd, 2012, 7:52 pm #2

I didn't hear anything about a 'strip mall' at the old Rock Chalet site, but would be nice to see another food service of some sort hopefully. I agree with what you say about the hotel...it has a superficial "ok" look to it, but anyone that looks deep will be disgusted. The place is a mess, and that restaurant is HORRIBLE. I've tried it 3 times since they changed the name from Xanadu to the Pancake House and it is BAD BAD BAD. Their pancakes are frozen/heated crap, not made from mix. All of their food is cheap/cut corners type horrible crap. DO NOT eat it if you can help it.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

April 24th, 2012, 5:37 pm #3

I agree with Jack 100% on this. I know that a deal (or more than one deal) is/are "pending," but that poor motel has suffered badly from neglect the past few years and it will be costly indeed to bring it up to big-city resort status. I've heard that the resort is a potential investor, but that could well be wishful thinking. And that restaurant is BAD you're a hundred times better off with the ginger chicken tacos at the blue Aardvark. I bought a few shares of CNL Lifestyle Properties, but I'm not sure how much they disclose to bond holders, and besides, their principal business is golf courses, not ski areas like the Summit and Stevens Pass.

Mikey

April 26th, 2012, 1:40 am #4

What do you think they'll turn this place into after global warming really kicks in?

Poop Ghost
Poop Ghost

April 26th, 2012, 3:04 am #5

Disney Land

Jack
Jack

April 26th, 2012, 4:37 am #6

In 1990 they suggested skiing would no longer be viable by the year 2010, that it would be too warm and SL's would have risen enough that Snoqualmie would no longer be running.

iflyfar
iflyfar

April 26th, 2012, 7:47 pm #7

April 26th, 2012, 8:17 pm #8

Climate change is for real, and only the really stupid/selfish among us deny that. Over the next several decades, ski seasons world-wide will grow shorter.

Snoqualmie Pass is amply blessed by its "pass effect" and already gets much more snow than nearby terrain at the same elevation with similar aspects. So we got that going for us, which is nice.

Big picture, I tend to agree with Jared Diamond, who has predicted a "centuries-long decline into a Blade Runner future." Living in the Pacific Northwest, we're significantly trailing these trends. Places like Australia, South Asia and Africa are going to get ugly. Get some while you can!

Mikey

April 26th, 2012, 8:52 pm #9

I'm still waiting for the sea level to rise 20' (AlGore). Since that prediction was made over 20 years ago the sea level has risen less then 1mm.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

MK
MK

April 26th, 2012, 11:46 pm #10

I think that was right around the time he was inventing the interwebz...