The bit at the end of Hello Earth

This is the main Kate Discussion Area

The bit at the end of Hello Earth

Topcat2163.thehomegroundandkatebushnewsandinfoforum
Running (Up That Hill)

05 May 2010, 20:32 #1

This is probably in some post somewhere else but has anyone worked out the reference right at the end of this song, sounds a bit like Arabic or celtic or something starting "diva diva...??

Aerial Suli
Cloudbusting!

05 May 2010, 20:39 #2

I thought it was something in german.. it's not arabic thats for sure!

Houdini
Breathing

05 May 2010, 22:06 #3

I believe it's "Tiefer, tiefer, irgendwo in der tiefer, gibt es ein leicht", which translates from the German as "Deeper, deeper, somewhere in the deep there's a light..."
Don't shoot me if the German is misspelt or misquoted; it's been quite a few years since O Levels.
Gilby.

Symphonyofflowers
Running (Up That Hill)

06 May 2010, 02:16 #4

Yes, it is German. The words are "Tiefer, tiefer, irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht." That means "Deeper, deeper, somewhere in the deep there is a light." Acoording to Gaffaweb, the words are spoken by a friend of Kate called Gabi Zangerl.
You give me life.

Please don't let me go.

You crush the lily in my soul.

Gilesgiles
Showing (a little devotion)

06 May 2010, 12:41 #5

Yes, "Gabi Zangerl" who sounds remarkably like Kate, and we've never know Kate to use pseudonyms ;-)

gg

Hezoid
Running (Up That Hill)

06 May 2010, 20:41 #6

Ahh, i've always wondered what the translation was, though i'd recognised it to be German.

lazyrood
Posts 1,041
lazyrood

08 May 2010, 16:43 #7

ze German eh??

now i know

curdey
Running (Up That Hill)

09 May 2010, 09:48 #8

I have to say I was a bit sad to hear it wasnt kates voice lol...i guess it doesnt matter, but still hehe..
Have a listen to my new Kate cover - And Dream Of Sheep! :)https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=ht ... _user=true

Kestrel
Posts 4,822
Kestrel
Cloudbusting!

09 May 2010, 11:32 #9

I have always assumed it was Kate speaking that german line.
Oh well, it nice to learn something new,even if it did take 25 years. Image

Posts 0

09 May 2010, 11:39 #10

I agree with Gilesgiles. For whatever reason, Kate used a pseudonym for that part. I'd put money on it being her voice. If it's not her characteristic consonant sounds, then she's got a twin we've never heard of Image

Houdini
Breathing

09 May 2010, 13:14 #11

Couldn't agree more - it sounds exactly like Kate. BUT...at the 1985 convention, when my friend Mandy and I wanted to find out what was being sung at this point in Hello Earth, we collared Del and Paddy and asked them. Our question began, "What is Kate singing at the end of..." at which point they both interjected, saying, "It's not Kate!" When we expressed surprise, they explained that it was a German friend of Kate's, who had come to visit some time during the period that the album was being recorded. 
Mandy and I were so surprised that, if I recall rightly, we forgot to press for an answer to our original question, and it was some considerable time later that I finally found out what was actually being sung.
Tra la, as they say.
Gilby.

Posts 0

09 May 2010, 13:18 #12

Cool! Do you think they might've been winding people up, though?! Image
Aw, I'm a bit sad now. Not for being wrong (ok, well - maybe that too!) but coz I kinda got very used to thinking it was another gorgeous utterance of Kate's that went so well with the whole atmosphere of that piece. Never mind - worse things happen at sea, as they say.

Kestrel
Posts 4,822
Kestrel
Cloudbusting!

09 May 2010, 15:12 #14

Gabi Zangerl does appear in the 'thanks to' credits for the Hounds Of Love album.......right next to Madame Maria Nanky which reads a bit dodgy. Image 

Gilesgiles

09 May 2010, 16:04 #15

Gabi does appear in Richard Marx's REPEAT OFFENDER credits, too. Interesting that there is a Catholic girl's school, Sacre Coeur, in Bregenz, Austria, that lists a Gabi Zangerl as "Mediatorin" which I understand to be a mediator. I imagine there are all sorts of ways that Kate and Gabi could have crossed paths and become friends particularly when Kate was communicating with Werner Herzog.

Amazing that due to one spoken line on a Kate Bush album, Gabi is the object of so much speculation; and, researching her, she's associated with so much esoterica.

gg

zebedeez
Posts 1,041
zebedeez

09 May 2010, 16:46 #16

Completely new to me, and I have to confess that I never would have guessed it was German (and I'm not unaccustomed to hearing German though I only about 5 words myself.) Thanks for this! Zeb

Japonolirion

09 May 2010, 17:46 #17

Re: Maria Nankey (from the Gaffaweb archives):

Date: Wed, 08 Jul 92 22:59:25 PDT

Subject: **** COVERS OF KATE BUSH SONGS *****

COVER VERSIONS OF KATE

from Articles from Homeground, Andrew Marvick (IED), Doug Allen, Andy Semple, Robert M. Kelner, Larry DeLuca, Ben Roimola, and Jorn Barger.

This is a compilation and re-editing of various messages (mainly from Love-Hounds), done by Ron Hill who takes responsibilty for any errors that may have occured during editing.

There have been surprisingly few over the years, considering how well known Kate is in Europe. Kate was asked about this a few times:

WHICH IS YOUR FAVOURITE COVER VERSION OF ONE OF YOUR SONGS?

"Poor Old Flea" by Madame Maria Nanky. (1984, KBC 17)

DINGER
Posts 2,200
DINGER

09 May 2010, 19:46 #18

Ok, a bit off the actually topic of this thread but whatever happened to Ron Hill?? Haven't seen him since The Red Shoes was released.

Hezoid
Running (Up That Hill)

09 May 2010, 22:19 #19

a pinch of keyhole wrote: I agree with Gilesgiles. For whatever reason, Kate used a pseudonym for that part. I'd put money on it being her voice. If it's not her characteristic consonant sounds, then she's got a twin we've never heard of Image
Maybe its the same person who sung 'Don't let the Sunshine in' pmsl!!! Image

Symphonyofflowers
Running (Up That Hill)

10 May 2010, 02:23 #20

Well, I did say "according to Gaffaweb" and the people at Gaffaweb usually know what they are talking about. And if it is Kate, then her German must have improved since "Coffee Homeground".
Anyway, the whole line in the album credits says: "Thanks to Bill and Denise Whelan, Liam, Donal, John Sheahan, Paddy Glackin, Gabi Zangerl, Madame Maria Nanky, Terry Gilliam, Peter Swallow, Basil and The Young Ones, and a big thank you to Peter Reich." Of all those names, Madame Maria Nanky is the only one that sounds dubious.
You give me life.

Please don't let me go.

You crush the lily in my soul.