Kate & The Royal Ballet

gaffahead
Running (Up That Hill)
gaffahead
Running (Up That Hill)

January 9th, 2017, 2:22 pm #1

Happy New Year to you all!
I am in the midst of reading a Freddie Mercury biography and have reached a part that suggests that Kate was asked but turned down an opportunity to work with the Royal Ballet and the LSO in October 1979. Freddie was then subsequently asked and the resulting performance attracted a rapturous response.
The Tour of Life had ended in May that year, so I'm wondering why Kate did not jump at such an opportunity. Surely every young girls dream!
Does anyone know anything more on this and why she is likely to have turned it down? 
Damn cobra woman... Got him like a mouse!

sadrasm
Dreaming
sadrasm
Dreaming

January 10th, 2017, 10:21 am #2

She probably just wanted to focus on her own work or maybe some contract that bound her from working with them.

Symphonyofflowers
Running (Up That Hill)
Symphonyofflowers
Running (Up That Hill)

January 10th, 2017, 11:55 pm #3

Well, it could be that Kate simply felt she wasn't good enough as a dancer.
You give me life.

Please don't let me go.

You crush the lily in my soul.

Kestrel
Cloudbusting!
Kestrel
Cloudbusting!

January 11th, 2017, 6:50 pm #4

Kate did work with the LSO in November 1979 when she performed Blow Away with them at the Royal Albert Hall.

Pekka
Showing (a little devotion)
Pekka

January 11th, 2017, 8:23 pm #5

I just googled this, and it seems it has been mentioned in several biographies of Freddie Mercury.
In Laura Jackson's book Freddie Mercury: the biography there is a quote from the Royal Ballet's principal dancer of that time, Wayne Eagling. He says he was producing a dance gala in aid of handicapped children. He wanted to widen the appeal of ballet and include a pop star who could dance, so he asked help from Joseph Lockwood, who was treasurer of the Royal Ballet and once a chairman of EMI. Eagling explains he asked Lockwood if Kate could be involved, but Kate's manager did not like the idea. Lockwood then suggested Freddie Mercury.
Another biography A Kind of Magic includes a quote from Bob Mercer, managing director of EMI who had signed Kate to EMI. He said according to the book  "I'm almost certain they asked Kate Bush first", and then the book just explains Kate turned them down.
So it's possible Kate decided on it just by herself or with her manager Hilary Walker.Maybe they thought the dance would have been too ambitious for Kate, like Symphonyofflowers says. Or she just wanted to concentrate on other things. This was the time when she had worked almost non-stop since 1977, with two albums, the tour and promotional trips. She prepared DWBMA that Autumn (though it was only released in 1980) and made the BBC Christmas special Kate and was working on songs for NFE. Maybe a gig with the ballet just was a bit too much, and like Kestrel said, she did do a charity performance with the LSO.

Gilesgiles
Gilesgiles

January 13th, 2017, 1:16 am #6

Would working with the Royal Ballet have necessarily meant dancing or, perhaps, just music, song?

gg