Why the M417?

Why the M417?

October 27th, 2011, 2:12 pm #1

For the life of me, I don't see what all the hoo-haw is about the M417.

With all the people turning 1377's into carbines and rifles, you'd think if Crosman were going to make a new pumper they'd make up some kind of modern 140/1400, sort of like a 2260 with 2100 parts grafted in. Now THAT would be worthy of HOO-HAW!!! LOL

I plink, therefore I am.

October 27th, 2011, 2:38 pm #2

A -it has a collapsing stock
b-it has weaver rails
c-it weighs under 4 lbs
d oAL is 33 inches
E we already know how to work on the internals\
F--Its easy for my girlfriend to remember which model this gun is soo she can buy it
G -It looks and likely handles like an M4, although not the best rifle , the m4 can be "point and aimed" by anyone.
h-its only 80bux
I- Its a perfect airgun to commit "suicide by cop" in the event you lose your shirt in the market one day!

October 27th, 2011, 3:21 pm #3

For the life of me, I don't see what all the hoo-haw is about the M417.

With all the people turning 1377's into carbines and rifles, you'd think if Crosman were going to make a new pumper they'd make up some kind of modern 140/1400, sort of like a 2260 with 2100 parts grafted in. Now THAT would be worthy of HOO-HAW!!! LOL

I plink, therefore I am.
...a combo of the classic 1377 pistol + 1399 stock would have exactly the same rated power (only logical, since it's essentially the same powerplant), be $5 cheaper, and (for my tastes) look way cooler than the M417 with its fake brick-a-brack.

Steve
Last edited by pneuguy on October 27th, 2011, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 27th, 2011, 3:30 pm #4

A -it has a collapsing stock
b-it has weaver rails
c-it weighs under 4 lbs
d oAL is 33 inches
E we already know how to work on the internals\
F--Its easy for my girlfriend to remember which model this gun is soo she can buy it
G -It looks and likely handles like an M4, although not the best rifle , the m4 can be "point and aimed" by anyone.
h-its only 80bux
I- Its a perfect airgun to commit "suicide by cop" in the event you lose your shirt in the market one day!
I still don't see what's so great about it.

Just another ugly black rifle to me. OK I admit, not being an AR15 fan has affected my appreciation of the M417 (where's my fire-proof suit? I'm gonna get flamed!). Plus it's supposed to be a semi/full auto, if it were based on the 1077 (or Nighthawk) it would make more sense to me.

Now if the M417 was a reskinned 1077 that looked like a Mini 14 I'd be more interested! With a folding stock I could play A-Team!!! LOL

I plink, therefore I am.

October 27th, 2011, 3:32 pm #5

...a combo of the classic 1377 pistol + 1399 stock would have exactly the same rated power (only logical, since it's essentially the same powerplant), be $5 cheaper, and (for my tastes) look way cooler than the M417 with its fake brick-a-brack.

Steve
But I guess those who like pumpers should be happy that Crosman is still coming out with any new pumper models at all.

I plink, therefore I am.

October 27th, 2011, 3:35 pm #6

Steve
( we need a "nickname" for the thing....)

the 13xx/22xx platforms have some ergonomic shortcomings. Mechanically they are about near perfection. Pick one up though and the failings of the interface from device to shooter become apparent.

I know (especially on some jaundice hued forums) that folks will say its fine, and maybe it is for them. Thats ok. But is not fine for me. I'm not going to be abel to shoot anythhing I'm not comfortable holding, or it doesnt fit me in an instinctive and/or natural way.

So for me-- at least looking at the pics -- OOB the '17 corrects alot of that.

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

October 27th, 2011, 3:40 pm #7

I still don't see what's so great about it.

Just another ugly black rifle to me. OK I admit, not being an AR15 fan has affected my appreciation of the M417 (where's my fire-proof suit? I'm gonna get flamed!). Plus it's supposed to be a semi/full auto, if it were based on the 1077 (or Nighthawk) it would make more sense to me.

Now if the M417 was a reskinned 1077 that looked like a Mini 14 I'd be more interested! With a folding stock I could play A-Team!!! LOL

I plink, therefore I am.
but this is a pumper pellet gun that hopefully wont jam all the time when a bit of dust gets in it lol

October 27th, 2011, 4:21 pm #8

( we need a "nickname" for the thing....)

the 13xx/22xx platforms have some ergonomic shortcomings. Mechanically they are about near perfection. Pick one up though and the failings of the interface from device to shooter become apparent.

I know (especially on some jaundice hued forums) that folks will say its fine, and maybe it is for them. Thats ok. But is not fine for me. I'm not going to be abel to shoot anythhing I'm not comfortable holding, or it doesnt fit me in an instinctive and/or natural way.

So for me-- at least looking at the pics -- OOB the '17 corrects alot of that.

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic
Different strokes for different folks. It's all in how we're made I guess, no right or wrong. I can fully appreciate the ergonomics needed for different people.

My 760 project has a thumbhole stock (easier to make to attach to the receiver), but it's made so I can also comfortably put my thumb up on the wrist of the stock and touch the receiver like I'm more used to doing when shooting a rifle.

I plink, therefore I am.
Last edited by airgunandy on October 27th, 2011, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 27th, 2011, 4:22 pm #9

but this is a pumper pellet gun that hopefully wont jam all the time when a bit of dust gets in it lol
In that case you should look for one styled like an AK47! LOL!!

I plink, therefore I am.

October 27th, 2011, 4:48 pm #10

But I guess those who like pumpers should be happy that Crosman is still coming out with any new pumper models at all.

I plink, therefore I am.
I would have preferred a "High-End" pumper going for $200-$350 instead of another inexpensive one. Even just a "collector's" edition of one of the 39x series built to older specs (brass valve, an identifiable hardwood stock, solid pins, steel cap, etc.) would have been tempting for me.

There is just nothing about this new pumper to get me interested. If I wanted something like this, I'd buy an airsoft replica.

...but I guess that just means I am not the demographic they are aiming for... ah well