how good is the Crosman 2300T Competition Pistol

how good is the Crosman 2300T Competition Pistol

March 8th, 2010, 5:03 pm #1

well i saw the Crosman 2300T Competition Pistol and how good of a gun for hunting is it? I never got the 2240 or 1377 becuase i hear it has lots of Plastic parts(Breech,grips and others) that will wear out very fast and so i am looking at the 2300t.

March 8th, 2010, 9:55 pm #2

....it has several things shooters want....a metal breech, a better trigger.....and you can personalize it if you order through the custom shop.

Randy

http://www.adventuresinairguns.com

March 16th, 2010, 3:08 am #3

well i saw the Crosman 2300T Competition Pistol and how good of a gun for hunting is it? I never got the 2240 or 1377 becuase i hear it has lots of Plastic parts(Breech,grips and others) that will wear out very fast and so i am looking at the 2300t.
short version : I wonder if that gun has the power you would want for hunting if that is the stated purpose. In my opinion it does not for that stated purpose. It is accurate and fun though I would venture to say. It does have the good stuff on it, as mentioned. It is a target gun though and shooting target gun speeds. Maybe with the heavier pellets you can buy other responders will tell you it is more than adequate.

Long version :
I would agree that the gun already has parts on it that are often put on by ordering from the custom shop parts department. I am only concerned as to what you want to hunt with it and the speeds the gun launches the pellets at..
I have killed some game with the 1377, etc. but I personally like a little more fps/ fpe
if I am going to purchase any pistol " for hunting "...
I suggest that you tell the other readers what you will hunt, what ranges you expect to encounter game, and whatever other details you can share.
I thought about that gun for pure target shooting etc but worried about the fps of the pellets if I used it for hunting. It did not seem to have the power for dual purpose uses.
You can change feet per second to foot pounds of energy; I think that for hunting you may need more fpe unless you are shooting birds at really close range, and they are small birds.. for a squirrel you will need to determine for yourself if you will be that close, and can count on the foot pounds of energy to be delivered to do the job.
around 500 feet per second may not be enough with a 177 for instance to not bounce off a squirrels head unless it is hit with great precision in the ear or eye neck etc.
>> when I shot them with a 1377 I would shoot for the heart and lungs though it was not as humane as a head shot with a rifle speed 22 cal...and I was close.
you might hear some suggestions that a longer barrel will add a hundred feet per second etc.
If it were me right now wanting an air gun for hunting first purpose, that would not be my choice... unless I thought about modifying it regardless for more speed on the pellet.
That is just my take on it. I respect the opinions of each and every other person, and that is the cool thing, you will have a few opinions to sift through.
I agree that the steel breech and such is the way to go. you may decide on optics; you may have to work up a gun based on that 2300T but get a longer barrel or a larger CO2 tube from a more powerful air gun; or determine that you will need to modify the gun that you do get to get less shots but more power for each shot.
I hope this helps...if what you really want to do is shoot targets and plink, which is great fun then this is a great gun to do it with, and you can occasionally find yourself accurate enough to shoot a target of opportunity wth the accuracy you aquire by enjoying it other ways..
I admit to being a hunter for life, but realize that I enjoy just shooting so much that regardless of the power of one of my strictly target pistols, I shot it all day it seemed : sticks, cans on a string, plastic water bottles, nothing was safe.. but it is not a hunting gun/pistol -not in my opinion at least- not fast enough on pellet speed, not a hunting gun at all .. if my use for a pistol was a hunting gun first..the gun I would have brought to shoot would have been a modified gun with longer barrel, 22 caliber and more fps..
I was pretending to be fishing in the morning and cookout in the afternoon, if I had shot at an animal it would have had to be close, and I would have had to feel I could take it out without undue suffering or prolonging its dying by not having the power I would like to have, instead, I would have had to rely on accuracy to accomplish it.
A head shot on a starling or feral pigeon at really close range would have been possible and I may have taken it. depending on the above. the target gun I was shooting gets a lot of shots but shoots about 500 fps with a 177 pellet, light pellets for punching paper and 500 fps might be stretching it some.
***Others may be able to help you with foot pounds of energy by going up on pellet weight for hunting..perhaps then you could explore how heavy a pellet you would be willing to buy and shoot; and what that would do for you in terms of making that gun more hunting adequate.
I just like to shoot more than anything .. the longer it goes the more I seem to just like to shoot paper and plink... but I do have a dedicated hunting air pistol .. if it were not HPA I would be looking to modify a CO2 for plenty of power, etc.

well friend have fun is the main thing.
dk

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"

March 16th, 2010, 8:11 pm #4

22 caliber that has some of the features you talk about,etc.
hope this helps.
dk

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"

June 27th, 2010, 7:19 pm #5

"Crosman 2300T Competition Pistol"

See that word, "Competition", that should give you an idea that it's not gonna be "He-Man" super-powered or anything. Meant more for target shooting. Spend time on the Forumhttp://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/ where all the Mods and such are discussed (all you really need to do is use the Search key, there's a good years worth of reading before needing to ask a Question. . .) and you can see how a simple 13xx/22xx can become something no one at Crosman ever dreamed of. If you want to add power mods, you do that after the fact. You'll void any warranty, but then again, we typically do that with just about anything these days, it seems.

I ordered from the Custom Shop a 2300KT, .22 caliber, 14" barrel version. It will be the first .22-caliber Crosman I've ever owned, so I thought, why not go "Crosman Custom Shop"