How about a magnetically fired airgun???

How about a magnetically fired airgun???

November 21st, 2007, 2:59 am #1

I posted this in the 'Bore & Stroke' thread, but................

what about a magnetically centered piston.
Since opposing forces can be VERY great depending on magnetic strength and almost all metals can be magnetized.....................

What of a piston made of a very high grade, say 90 lb magnet inside a 90 lb magnetized tube (reverse polarized)? The resistance for holding center would be 180 lbs? The pounds reference is how much the magnet will lift or oppose for those that don't know - not the physical weight!

If Japan can run a train on a 'magnetic cushion of air' why can't we build a magnetically fired air rifle???

I don't know how the formula works when circumference comes into play - but - What do you think???

You could also have a 'magnetic' stop and the end of the piston stroke to avoid piston slam.

Better yet, what about a magnetically fired piston and ditch the spring? The cocking force would be the resistance of the magnets.........................the piston could somehow catch the sear for firing.

When the trigger was pressed, the opposing force of the magnet would fire the piston.
If the resistance was TOO great to cock, a hybrid could be built using a lighter spring in conjunction with a high power magnet.

November 21st, 2007, 3:46 am #2

driven inward together or outward apart to both compress the air charge and cancel any inertia from the moving pistons.

November 21st, 2007, 3:52 am #3

Since opposing forces can be VERY great depending on magnetic strength and almost all metals can be magnetized.....................

What of a piston made of a very high grade, say 90 lb magnet inside a 90 lb magnetized tube (reverse polarized)? The resistance for holding center would be 180 lbs? The pounds reference is how much the magnet will lift or oppose for those that don't know - not the physical weight!

If Japan can run a train on a 'magnetic cushion of air' why can't we build a magnetically fired air rifle???

I don't know how the formula works when circumference comes into play - but - What do you think???

You could also have a 'magnetic' stop and the end of the piston stroke to avoid piston slam.

Better yet, what about a magnetically fired piston and ditch the spring? The cocking force would be the resistance of the magnets.........................the piston could somehow catch the sear for firing.

When the trigger was pressed, the opposing force of the magnet would fire the piston.
If the resistance was TOO great to cock, a hybrid could be built using a lighter spring in conjunction with a high power magnet.
http://tesladownunder.com/Rail_gun.htm 

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php ... eadid=2665

can be done , I just can't afford it.    

November 21st, 2007, 3:53 am #4

Magnetic force falls with the square of the distance between the magnets. They'd need to be incredible magnets.

Additionally, most magnets loose their magnetism is mechanically shocked, or heated, both situations arise in spring guns with some regularity.

You could maybe use a linear actuator to drive a piston, if you really want to put magnets in your gun, but you'd need magnificent amounts of eletric power to get anything done.

November 21st, 2007, 5:47 am #5

I worked for a defense contractor that built a "Rail Gun", it literaly had two full size rail cars holding generators, the gun it self had another. Very cool, very expensive and very unwieldy.

Eric in San Diego

November 21st, 2007, 5:49 am #6

November 21st, 2007, 6:26 am #7

driven inward together or outward apart to both compress the air charge and cancel any inertia from the moving pistons.
Inward would make more sense since there would be no timing issues with transfer ports.

I just wonder how heavy the magnets would have to be???

If not viable, there still is the possibility of eliminating 'wobble' of the piston in a spring gun by using magnetics to perfectly center it inside the tube.

The Sandia Labs Railgun (if I remember correctly) shot a 1 pound steel 'missile' shaped projectile at over 6000 feet per second and defeated FEET of steel plate!!! It took about 60 seconds for the capacitors to recharge so another shot could be fired. I love the Discovery Channel!

November 21st, 2007, 9:25 am #8

can't remember the gun but it was in production I think.

(the inward firing pistons, I mean)
Last edited by CO222 on November 21st, 2007, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 21st, 2007, 2:01 pm #9

Inward would make more sense since there would be no timing issues with transfer ports.

I just wonder how heavy the magnets would have to be???

If not viable, there still is the possibility of eliminating 'wobble' of the piston in a spring gun by using magnetics to perfectly center it inside the tube.

The Sandia Labs Railgun (if I remember correctly) shot a 1 pound steel 'missile' shaped projectile at over 6000 feet per second and defeated FEET of steel plate!!! It took about 60 seconds for the capacitors to recharge so another shot could be fired. I love the Discovery Channel!
nt

If at first you don't succeed, try, try a gun!

November 21st, 2007, 2:02 pm #10

can't remember the gun but it was in production I think.

(the inward firing pistons, I mean)
nt

If at first you don't succeed, try, try a gun!