Hold Sensitivity Of A 1377

Hold Sensitivity Of A 1377

July 10th, 2012, 1:13 pm #1

I have a 1377 carbine that has been inconsistant to the point it ranks as a mediocre plinker and not a target shooter. This has been going on for several months. One shot in the bull, next shot somewhere else, next shot who knows, etc. I looked at all the possible culprits: barrel crown; barrel leade; breech-barrel connection; grips, bolts; barrel bands; pump arm pins; other sighting devices; loads and loads of pellet varieties; alternative benchrests; with and without muzzle breaks; and a different barrel. Everytime I thought I had this carbine licked, it would continue throwing random flyers. When you have so much inconsistancy, you have no clue which pellet was the accurate one, and cannot ever really dial in your sight.

Yesterday I shot the carbine more like a springer. To my suprise this thing is very pretty darn accurate with the right hold. I cannot understand why this is, but I believe I have a 1377 that is hold sensitive. Now watch me shoot her tomorrow and be right back where I started.

July 10th, 2012, 2:50 pm #2

i guess it was too long and wobbly.. i thought i could probably have cured it with a 12" barrel but had the same problem. I changed my hold just like you and got immediate positive results. man that thing was awesome for shooting sparrows...

July 10th, 2012, 4:29 pm #3

I have a 1377 carbine that has been inconsistant to the point it ranks as a mediocre plinker and not a target shooter. This has been going on for several months. One shot in the bull, next shot somewhere else, next shot who knows, etc. I looked at all the possible culprits: barrel crown; barrel leade; breech-barrel connection; grips, bolts; barrel bands; pump arm pins; other sighting devices; loads and loads of pellet varieties; alternative benchrests; with and without muzzle breaks; and a different barrel. Everytime I thought I had this carbine licked, it would continue throwing random flyers. When you have so much inconsistancy, you have no clue which pellet was the accurate one, and cannot ever really dial in your sight.

Yesterday I shot the carbine more like a springer. To my suprise this thing is very pretty darn accurate with the right hold. I cannot understand why this is, but I believe I have a 1377 that is hold sensitive. Now watch me shoot her tomorrow and be right back where I started.
What stock are you using on your carbine? I've heard that the Crosman stock (1399) doesn't always fit tight and will wobble sometimes.

Also, sometimes the pump handle/forearm of a pumper will move a bit when the gun is fired as residual air between the piston and valve moves into the now empty valve. Try using a two handed pistol hold instead of having one hand on the forearm.

Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple
- Mikhail Kalashnikov

July 10th, 2012, 5:54 pm #4

...seems to hold it quite firmly. I will fiddle a bit with different holds.

July 10th, 2012, 8:46 pm #5

Mine is a modified 1322. In it's current configuration, ( 13 inch .177 barrel, among other things ) I fussed a bit to get a 4 oz trigger, added a rifle scope, and watched closely.
With a trigger that light, ( not necessarily safe ) and the scope, from a bench rest was able to watch the gun jump on discharge. Considerably more than expected. As expected, more jump with more pumps.
Sitting freely, and touching the trigger, it hits where it's aimed, but after the shot it's aimed nowhere close to where it just was aimed, nor where it hit. ( shooting 75 foot range )
Like me, it might be that it's just you.

July 11th, 2012, 6:00 pm #6

I've used an otherwise stock 1377 with 14" barrel and inexpensive red dot for pistol field target with good results. I've not had any problems with accuracy using JSB Exact or JSB Express.