air conserving 392?

air conserving 392?

August 24th, 2012, 1:12 pm #1

I was perusing this forum and stumbled upon these air conserving setups and skeletonized valves for the 39x platform. They were old posts. I happen to have bought a brand new, slightly defective(simple fix) 392PA at a major sports and outdoors company for less than half-price. The Gun is completely torn down at the moment as I have a few simple things to fix up. I am EXTREMELY interested on which designs of skeleton valves or air-conserving mods in general are doable with the resources available to me. I'm very mechanically inclined, and I have access to a fairly large shop(not a machine shop really, but very few things have I come across modding airguns thus far that were not feasible in my fathers old shop[he's a mechanic, a machinist, and he is even outfitted and well experienced with autobody work and the like]). Having seen what's been accomplished here, I'm just looking at where to start... any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

August 24th, 2012, 2:49 pm #2

...some searches on terms like...

ACP392
ACP397
AC392
DV392
HDD
Butterfly
SV392

...that should get you started and up to speed. Then, when you have specific questions. there are lots of folks here who have experience and will be happy to help.

Steve

August 24th, 2012, 2:51 pm #3

I'll do some research on those and then come back.

August 24th, 2012, 2:54 pm #4

Can't wait to see your progress Casey. I too have a 392 waiting to be toyed with when I finish my 1377.

August 24th, 2012, 2:57 pm #5

ACP392
ACP397
AC392
DV392
HDD
Butterfly
SV392

...that should get you started and up to speed. Then, when you have specific questions. there are lots of folks here who have experience and will be happy to help.

Steve
how addicitng the AC efort can be, how frustrating it can be, the "I'll-go-home-after-get-this-part-to-fit" late nights, and the sense of wonderment,accomplishemnt and airgunnig pride when it all comes together. I think he's already figgered out the "holy-cow thats cool" part

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

August 24th, 2012, 7:07 pm #6

"holy-cow thats cool"

August 24th, 2012, 8:17 pm #7

ACP392
ACP397
AC392
DV392
HDD
Butterfly
SV392

Steve
I've done a lot of reading. going to build an HDD first, soon(seems like the logical first step). What I find elusive is a diagram of a skeletonized valve that works. I would like to build one of these, I already have an extra valve to tear up. I also would love putting a pressure gauge on the section of body tube that would be used to contain the air. I'm pretty sure I could figure that out because I always have my dad to turn to for metallurgy. He could probably reinforce a section to facilitate such a gauge. It sounds like you're initially charging these to 1500PSI or slightly lower? I saw the skeleton valve that simply wasn't even connected to the exhaust section of the valve, but what holds it in place? This seems like the most awesome thing. It's perfect because I've been wanting to get a PCP gun, but I can't get over having to either take it to be filled or having an SCBA tank lying around. The idea in general is astounding! I thought about a discovery and a pump, but as soon as I saw this, I immediately threw pragmatism out the window, man. I don't care if it's impractical or anything! I JUST WANT TO BUILD IT...FAST!! not too fast though because I tend to make horrible mistakes when rushing...

August 24th, 2012, 10:51 pm #8

lathe is a big help.

August 24th, 2012, 11:38 pm #9

I actually had this sort of build in mind. I'll probably use a pneumatic rotary tool I have to cut the big chunks out, and then I guess just file away as much as possible while keeping it somewhat structurally sound. I just realized my dad moved one of our drill presses into storage and therefore I no longer have a machine with a chuck big enough throw the exhaust end in to add the third o-ring. Guess I'll have to carefully do it by hand with my round files or something.

August 24th, 2012, 11:42 pm #10

lathe is a big help.

I just now noticed the hammer! How did that get bored out?! These things are practically as hard as corundum to drill on or anything....is that necessary? will it not work without boring it out that way? because that is certainly...a challenge...there.