Jared Allen Hype

Jared Allen Hype

kw1

September 3rd, 2008, 1:32 pm #1

Don't get me wrong, I think Jared Allen is a really good DE ... BUT ... I STILL don't think was worth the price they paid for him.

In games last season his sacks went like this:
Bengals - 2.5
Lions - 2
Vikings - 2
Jets - 2
Oakland - 2
San Diego - 2

9.5 of the sacks came at home, in Arrowhead.
9 of the sacks were made in losing games.
He had 6 in October and 6 in December.

Against us last season, he had 0.5 sacks and 3 tackles, 2 solo.

Take it for what it's worth, but I'm just a little sick of hearing how Jared Allen was the last piece of the Vikings Championship puzzle! Not after being 32nd in passing yards allowed ????

He's better than Kampmann, but not by THAT much.
KGB had 13.5 sacks and people were bashing him!????

Have a good one
KW

JayB.
JayB.

September 3rd, 2008, 2:26 pm #2

Yeah, but KW, you add Allen to that d-line with Pat Williams and Kevin Williams on the inside, and that is probably the best d-line in the league.

If NY had stayed healthy and not lost their DEs to injury and retirement, I think they'd be the best d-line...but, I can't really think of a team that has a better d-line than Minnesota does right now.

Allen will be able to pressure the QB like no other end has for Minny in a long, long time.

They were already #1 in the league against the run, so add in another 12 - 15 sacks, and a bunch of additional pressures to help their secondary, and this is probably going to be a top ranked defensive unit this season.

They certainly paid a steep price for him...but, I think it's too early to judge whether or not it was worth it.

If the Vikes go to the SB this year...they'll look like geniuses.

I still like the Packers starting d-line...Kampman, Pickett, Jolly, and whoever else is healthy at DE. I just hate the fact that we lost all of our quality depth in the offseason, and C. Williams who was our best interior pass rusher.

Anon
Anon

September 3rd, 2008, 5:54 pm #3

I guess we'll see. I don't remember the Williams boy's being pressure experts, but rather they control the LOS against the run.

I still say Allen needs to beat one of two outstanding OT's in GB. Don't get me wrong, the guy can play, but I keep going back to Kearny just disappearing in that playoff game, he was manhandled by Tauscher.

I think if we can pass block in this game, we can win it. I don’t expect GB to be able to run in this game. If they get 50 yards on the ground, it will surprise me. That said, if they
can pass block and give Rodgers even average time in the pocket, I think we’ll smoke them in the passing game.

I feel good about Pickett being back, looks like Jolly may be able to play this entire season (this actually shocked me, but they claim even if they pursue charges, it won’t come to trial until after the season is over). I wonder if the Commissioner is going to step in on this one, or if he’ll wait until the trial is over. I can’t see Jolly not being suspended for this, regardless of a trial outcome, but it needs to be decided in court first.

I haven’t heard a thing regarding the status of AJ Hawk, but I assumed they would have declared him out already if he was going to be. Could be that we have basically the entire starting defense on the field minus Kabeer, which is good.

I guess Scotty Wells is definitely out, and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned about that one. Fine, you move Spitz over there, what if Wells can’t recover from this,, which seems likely at the moment. Who backs up Spitz at center? We seem to be very banged up and weak at OL and DL all of a sudden. This looked like it was going in the right direction, then all of a sudden whamo, weak on both sides.

kw1

September 4th, 2008, 1:27 am #4

Ahhhhhh maaaaan ... JayB ... the Vikings?

In the SUPER BOWL?

Yeah, they controlled the line against the run very well last season ... and they were good. But their D was 12th in points allowed and 20th in yards allowed. I just think you have to look at who they played against the run to see where their 8-8 record came from.

Falcons 26th
Lions 31st
KC Chiefs 32nd
Packers 21st
Bears 30th
Cowpies 17th
Philly 8th
Chargers 7th
Oakland 6th
Redskins 12th
Broncos 9th

Their overall rating by the NFL doesn't really tell the tale. It doesn't take into consideration that even though they were #1 against the run ... they still weren't any better in some instances that the Jaguars. Or that they were 32nd against the pass. DEAD LAST! I'm sure that Allen will help them some, but he's not the one player they need for a SB. Seems like any team they played with a half decent passing game ate their lunch. JMO

Have a good one
KW

JayB.
JayB.

September 4th, 2008, 6:53 pm #5

I agree KW - I do not think the Vikings will get to the SB.

However, I think J. Allen makes that d-line special (T, K. Williams is a very good interior pass rusher who has had double digit sack totals in the past). Teams are going to struggle blocking this d-line. They are fast, powerful, and all vets.

I also like their #1 and #2 RB combo of A. Peterson and Chester Taylor. Their o-line, if healthy, is solid...Tavaris basically just has to manage the offense (which he has not shown he can do very effectively yet). Berrian gives them a legit deep threat, and S. Rice could become a solid #2.

This Vikings team won 5 in a row to end last year, and they could certainly be very competitive in this mediocre NFC this season.

I remember a couple of years ago, the 8-8 Packers closed the season with a consecutive wins streak, and then went on to a 14-4 season and made it to the NFC Championship game.

I also saw a Giants team with a young QB, a strong running game, and a vicious pass rush win the SB last season, and I think Minny has some of those pieces in place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I still like the Packers better though, and I still think we should win on Mon. night. Rodgers will have to really be on top of his game, and some guys like Pickett, Grant, Hawk, KGB, etc. who haven't played alot this offseason and have been battling injuries, are going to have to come back and play great games.

And I still think this young packer team will improve throughout the season...especially the o-line.

Right now though, the Vikes offensive and defensive lines are superior to the Packers...that's why I cannot say that I think we will definitely win on Mon. night.

Anon
Anon

September 4th, 2008, 7:57 pm #6

I guess I agree with assessment, and I agree with the Vikings hype for the game. They feel if they can take A-rod out of the game they will bet us, and I pretty much agree with that. They started right after him in the media to have him thinking about it.

That said, if Rodgers has any advantage over this situation, it’s that he is mobile. I don’t think their secondary is special, never was, still isn’t. For them it’s about stopping the run and getting to Rodgers. If they do both, and Rodgers is running around throwing the ball away, this could be a very ugly game.

I hate to say it, I just don’t see the Packers winning this game, just don’t see it. Too many inactive players, hurt players, to much disarray in the offensive line. This game could look allot like the 49ers game IMO. We may not score a TD in this game, if the Vikings execute their game plan. This isn't rocket science, it's get after the passer, they already assume we won't be able to run the football.

I really think this game will be the Vikings 23, and the Packers 6. I hate to say it, it just seems to be adding up to that. I don't see the Packers winning this. I agree that as the season wears on, the Packers will probably be finishing strong, I just don't think they're going to start strong.

kw1

September 4th, 2008, 8:47 pm #7

I don't know T. I think that the combination of Grant, Jones and Lumpkin can give the Queens more of a running game than they're expecting. Jones was really weak (coming in) on picking up the blitz and pass blocking. He's gained some experience, bulked-up, still has really nice hands coming out of the backfield and now has played enough downs to see it coming. And from what I've seen, Lumpkin is a LOAD to bring down.

We still have a heck of a passing game. IMO ... They won't be able to "send them" over and over again and not get burned at some point.

I also think Rodgers has enough vision to be decent against even a top defense.

It might be my green and gold glasses .... but !!!
JMO

Have a good one
KW

JayB.
JayB.

September 4th, 2008, 9:34 pm #8

Yeah...it's going to be tough for the Packers to win, but not impossible.

I think our offense can spread them out with 4 and 5 wide sets and if Rodgers can get some protection, he could be successful...he has a LOT of weapons.

They should also try to run out of those wide sets, and they should try to run off tackle...that's where we had success running against them in that 34-0 win last season. You make those big DTs run and neutralize them that way.

I agree also T, that Rodgers may have to use his legs to make some positive gains when pass protection breaks down.

Defensively, I think it's a matter of whether or not Pickett and Hawk are healthy enough to stand up to the Vikings running game. I believe Bryant McKinnie is suspended for the game, so their offensive line will not be in full force.

They will have to put 8 in the box for most of the game, and they may have to blitz a good deal to force Tavaris into making some bad throws...I don't think he's 100% with that knee, and we can shake him up quickly if we get some licks on him. The Packers will have to make good sure fundamental tackles!

I also hope the Packers can get some game changing plays out of their STs return units...maybe Blackmon or Williams busts a return. Maybe we get a big turnover or two with out coverage units.

I'll hold my score prediction until I see who is actually healthy and playing for the Packers come Monday. I expect a very competitive game.

JayB.
JayB.

September 4th, 2008, 9:42 pm #9

By the way KW, I thought the Packers did do a nice job against Allen last season, and they hopefully will again.

I also agree that I like our stable of RBs, but my question is whether or not our o-line can give them some holes to run through!!

kw1

September 5th, 2008, 12:55 pm #10

Hmmmmm ... lets' see now ..... a new DE. Big DLs. A QB who might not be as healthy (or actually progressed as far) as they say.

I'd go out there and run the ball at them for maybe one series and then go no-huddle against them.
"Show me whatcha REALLY got!"

Get their DL gassed and they'll take a T.O. Allen should be reeling a little at that point which will make it easier.
Spread the offense and basically dare them to do something about it.

In the Giants game last night, the Redskins looked HORRIBLE! Until .. that is .. they started blitzing and running the hurry-up and no huddle. They basically neutralized the World Champion NY Giants. And after that idiotic opening stunt by Michael Strahan, I was glad to see it. I figured NY would win 20-10. Neither team could drive the nails into the other's coffin in the second half.

Unless HC Zorn stops thinking he's still coaching college ball, learns better clock management and starts teaching his QB more, he's going to have a very long, losing season. And Washington's secondary should have had AT LEAST 4 take aways. Wait until the G-men play a team with a real D secondary.

Have a good one
KW