Hornung Said

Hornung Said

J4
J4

August 7th, 2008, 4:48 am #1

I see all my teammates,” Hornung said. “Willie Wood can get around but not very well and he needs help. I’ve got five guys, my teammates, who need some help from the NFL. And you know what really peeved me about Green Bay? They offered Brett Favre ($20 million) just to hang around as an ambassador and we’ve got guys who played 10 and 12 years back then who don’t have enough money to operate, for heaven’s sakes. If you’ve got that much money just to give to a guy to show up at a game and be a Good Time Charlie then, damn it, they should try to take care of the players who played 10 or 12 years and need the money very badly.”

IMO Hornung has a great point. But, you know the suits in GB could care less about taking care of those who laid there bodies on the line to build the franchise.

Hey I have agreat idea! How about the team raises the ticket price to what the real market value is? Then they take the profits and take care of the old players who built the franchise? What a grerat idea? Too bad this is so mobbed up. If there was one single real reporter in sports they would be all over this

JMO

J4

kw1

August 7th, 2008, 12:41 pm #2

While I have to agree with Hornung, I've seen the exact same thing too many times when I used to negotiate contracts for the PD. The older guys are always PO'ed at what the new / young guys are getting as their starting salary. They compare it to what they were making when THEY started 10 - 12 years earlier and are jealous. I had to remind them that they had more time in the pension system and they also just got a much higher salary scale because of the 'new guys'.

I understand that some of the 'old-time' players are having a tough time, but I don't think it should be up to the individual teams to support them. The players have a UNION, so I think it should be incumbent upon the NFLPA to do something. If anybody should care about the players, I'd think it would be other players!

Expecting teams to pay for guys who have been out of football for 12 years is like all of a sudden having an ex-employee show-up at your doorstep and demand you pay him something.
It's not the teams' fault that players couldn't invest their money wisely. And lets' face it ... even 12 years ago, players salaries were incredibly high. Where did it all go?

Teams don't raise ticket prices because they have to pay-off the mob. They do it mainly because the union has jacked players' contracts through the roof.

Why not expect someone like that scumbag Pacman Jones to give them some money? He apparently has more than enough. Considering that he stiffed Caesars Palace for $20K and had a warrant issued
for his arrest. And then he had enough to throw around in a Las Vegas nightclub and not miss it.

The Packers were going to be paying Favre millions over the next 3 years anyway, regardless of the way he played. So $20M for 10 years to cover selling rights and merchandising costs doesn't seem too out of line. Now they're going to be stuck with a lot of GB #4 Jerseys.

Have a good one
KW