Favre PV (continued)

Favre PV (continued)

Donkeyman
Donkeyman

March 9th, 2008, 6:22 pm #1

Got tired of reading the narrowing posts so I’m starting this.

JayB
According to my info Manning was drafted and played his first year in 1998.

Don’t know if anyone else saw this article on Favre but found it interesting and has some food for thought.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=3281535

Dman

dobber
dobber

March 9th, 2008, 11:10 pm #2

D`Man... I guess I don't have an issue with someone saying that the 2nd half of Favre's career was not as great as the 1st half, but I think when all is said and done all this (Philthy-delphia) writer is trying to do is sell his new book.

I think he is just trying to stir the possum, as ol' downunder used to say. Not a lot to debate, IMO.
dob

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 10th, 2008, 2:24 am #3

I love Starr also. But, what did he do after lomabrdi left? It is hard to accurately compare eras. IMO We have yet to replace Holmy who won sb with brett goofing off.

jmo

j4

JayB.
JayB.

March 10th, 2008, 5:59 pm #4

Name Period Consecutive Starts
1 Brett Favre 1992-2007 253 [2]
2 Peyton Manning 1998-Present 160 [3]
3 Ron Jaworski 1977-1984 116 [4]
4 Tom Brady 2001-Present 110 [5]
5 Joe Ferguson 1977-1984 107 [6]

According to this, it will take Manning 5.875 more seasons to surpass Favre.

So, I guess that is correct...I thought Manning had much further to go.

That said, 5.875 years is a lifetime in the NFL...anything can happen.

That's 94 starts = I think it goes without saying that this will be quite a challenge for Manning.

Manning would be over 37 years old by that time. If his line stays good and he avoids sacks for a long time though, I guess it's possible!

Donkeyman
Donkeyman

March 12th, 2008, 9:29 pm #5

Got my copies of the Press-Gazette Commemorative Edition dated March 5 and the Sunday March 9 Tribute Edition today. Some very good reading. If anyone is going to order either instead of both I would recommend the Sunday edition which covers just about everything covered in the Commemorative plus a lot more.

After looking at a picture of his house, I don’t blame him for staying there and enjoying it. It’s huge – a lot of grass to cut also.

Something that jumped out at me in the listing of stats was that one of the big reasons Starr could not have played in as many games as Brett did in the same number of years is that during Starr’s playing days – which were from 1956-1971 – the NFL did not play as many games in a season. When Starr started in 1956, and until 1960 a season consisted of 12 games. From 1961 until his last year – 1971 – the season was 14 games. The 16 game season didn’t start until 1978.

Another thing I found interesting was that during his career with the Pack, Brett only came out of a game 15 times, and not all of them were for injury. One was we were being blown out, a couple we were well ahead, and a couple for “curtain calls” during special games. That really speaks a lot to his durability.

All three of these things were in the Sunday edition.

Dman