You are given $1000 and have six months to make it grow.

You are given $1000 and have six months to make it grow.

November 21st, 2011, 1:12 am #1

What would you do with it to make the most money? No, I didn't just get $1000. This is just a brain teaser.

November 21st, 2011, 1:57 am #2

I would probably put it in a S&P index fund until the new year. I've heard several people say they think the market indicators suggest a gradual rise in the market until the end of Dec, and then more fumbling next year. So let it gain a bit, then pull it out and put it in a short term CD maybe.

November 21st, 2011, 2:37 am #3

What would you do with it to make the most money? No, I didn't just get $1000. This is just a brain teaser.
but dh would like to open a small carry out restaurant.
glendaMO

November 21st, 2011, 3:21 am #4

Just like on tv makeover shows, there's a time limit! My cousin is about to open a food trailer (roach coach). I will be anxious to see how it goes.

November 21st, 2011, 3:30 pm #5

on Slice called Risky Business where a famous millionaire sets up risky, but potentially lucrative, business deals for you. I've only seen it a couple of times, but I wouldn't give my money to ANY of those people. And the people that are investing! I think they are insane and I just want to shake them! I saw 15 seconds of the episode from last week. The couple was investing $15,000 from her line of credit. I thought I was going to be sick.

So! I have a thousand dollars and the only way it is going to grow is by sitting in the bank at 1.5%

Although... logically, I realize this is the same thing Amy D in one of the TWG books. But still! =8-o

November 21st, 2011, 4:07 pm #6

It at a profit, which would probably bring more than the paltry going interest rates.

November 21st, 2011, 4:17 pm #7

I would probably put it in a S&P index fund until the new year. I've heard several people say they think the market indicators suggest a gradual rise in the market until the end of Dec, and then more fumbling next year. So let it gain a bit, then pull it out and put it in a short term CD maybe.
There is usually an end-of-the-year stock rally. I wouldn't necessarily do this at other times of the year, but I'd take my chances on December.

I like the idea of buy low, sell high on eBay...if I could find $1,000 worth of undervalued stuff to sell.... My friend, Suzanne, who owns the motel in Harrison, sells on eBay with considerable success. Once she re-sold a set of sterling silver she got at an estate sale for $200. Just recently, a friend gave her some china that she'd bought at Costco about 10 years ago for $400. Suzanne just got $1,650 for it! My luck does not run that way...the "sterling" would turn out to be silverplate and no one would want the dishes...or they'd break.

November 21st, 2011, 5:35 pm #8

I thought I only had one month to make it grow. I would put it in S&P index fund through end of year...then look for something else. Maybe transfer to precious metals fund...? Or look for something to buy low and sell high........

November 21st, 2011, 5:47 pm #9

or emerging markets...

November 21st, 2011, 11:27 pm #10

Just like on tv makeover shows, there's a time limit! My cousin is about to open a food trailer (roach coach). I will be anxious to see how it goes.
I live in a small town with a DQ, Taco Bell, KFC and McD's - 30 minutes from service, and good food. I have faith that he could make a go of it - even if it was just a chicken wing shack, ... but then I guess if I was 100% confident, I'd of probably borrow from my 401 for seed money.

He's actually got another business idea that would mean buying/remanufacturing and reselling parts, but the seed money needed requires deeper pockets than mine - it's a part that is new to the reman market, that he knows very well, and would have lucrative return = but I'm too chicken #### to want to borrow $200k even if the return would be worth it ... bottom line is I don't want to work FT to pay off a failed adventure, even if I have faith that it will pay off. I'm not that much of a risk taker at heart (although the day may come that I find myself being pushed off that bridge).
glendaMO