Who to file with

Who to file with

April 10th, 2011, 7:15 pm #1

If you get hit, and it's your word against theirs, no witness and no report, whose insurance co would you file with and why? We were both adamant that it was the other person's fault. They have already started the claim process with their insurance co, and called and gave me the claim number.

I'm leaning towards working with my insurance co in-case the other decides to go after me, but my insurance co is apparently closed on the weekends. I can only get voice mail and 'please leave a message, go visit our website, or call back during normal business hours'. I don't think there was any damage to her vehicle, but I also didn't look real close. Should have, I know. Too late now. Unless I want to go stalking the street this evening to see if I see it parked on the road. They live in the same condo complex I do, oddly enough.

April 10th, 2011, 8:17 pm #2

they'll be more interested in your story. from experience, the companies will probable assign 50/50 to you both to avoid any real work on their part.

April 10th, 2011, 8:47 pm #3

Which is what I expect my agent to do, take care of my interest.

April 11th, 2011, 4:53 am #4

I'll call them first thing tomorrow and hopefully get it in the shop tomorrow, as I work the rest of the week.

April 11th, 2011, 6:30 pm #5

In general... Got in touch with my insurance co, spent 30 minutes on the phone with them recording my statement. Then got told to call the other insurance company and deal with them for the appraisal and claim. They said if the other insurance company does not pay, then to call them back and go through mine keeping in mind my $1000 deductible. Almost makes me wish I had just dropped the whole issue. It's just paint, right?

Here's a pic. I'm wondering how much trouble this is going to be, her word against mine. Basically she was in the far left lane heading eastbound, and I was in the right lane (at the point where there were two lanes). Notice where it expands to four lanes - the number 1 lane has a dashed white line. She basically followed the tar line instead of the white line, and ended up in my space. Someone else was crowding me on the right and moving into what would be the #3 lane, so I couldn't retreat. I did honk at her as I saw her coming and she even said afterwards that she heard that but didn't think she was doing anything wrong. grrr.

April 11th, 2011, 6:37 pm #6

In PA they've gone back to "no fault" insurance. mine pays mine and hers pays hers, and then they fight amongst themselves as to who's fault it was and one of them pays the other one off. then she'd get the letter telling her they found her at fault and her premiums might go up.

April 11th, 2011, 6:40 pm #7

A Sheriff did stop and block a lane while we were sitting there, (happened about a block from the Sheriff office, and about four of them passed within 5 minutes) but told us to exchange information and get moving. They have too many serious accidents I guess to worry about paint exchanges.

April 11th, 2011, 9:37 pm #8

In general... Got in touch with my insurance co, spent 30 minutes on the phone with them recording my statement. Then got told to call the other insurance company and deal with them for the appraisal and claim. They said if the other insurance company does not pay, then to call them back and go through mine keeping in mind my $1000 deductible. Almost makes me wish I had just dropped the whole issue. It's just paint, right?

Here's a pic. I'm wondering how much trouble this is going to be, her word against mine. Basically she was in the far left lane heading eastbound, and I was in the right lane (at the point where there were two lanes). Notice where it expands to four lanes - the number 1 lane has a dashed white line. She basically followed the tar line instead of the white line, and ended up in my space. Someone else was crowding me on the right and moving into what would be the #3 lane, so I couldn't retreat. I did honk at her as I saw her coming and she even said afterwards that she heard that but didn't think she was doing anything wrong. grrr.

If you don't file and she does, you may be liable for whatever she makes up. You don't have to get your car fixed, you can always drop it later. We've done that before.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

April 11th, 2011, 10:08 pm #9

the other insurance co has yet to call back. Just got a call from my insurance co and she pointed out how people who admit fault usually change their story after talking to their respective insurance co. In her opinion it's the other drivers fault - she is going to contact the other insurance co and start duking out the liability. And in the meantime wants me to go and get an appraisal on the car. Oh yea, I dropped my rental car reimbursement on my policy too. If I ran it through the other co they would pay for a rental, but she says it's probably better to run through my insurance co. At least the weather is nice this week and I could survive on my bike if needed.

April 11th, 2011, 10:30 pm #10

Seems like they would want the other company to pay instead of them?

------
The road to success is always under construction.