which sweet snacks for the family at a funeral home?

which sweet snacks for the family at a funeral home?

June 19th, 2011, 9:33 pm #1

Someone else is in charge of the healthy snacks. I am taking 2-3 sweet snacks. I was thinking brownies, Snickerdoodles, and...what else? Good ol' chocolate chip cookies? A bundt cake? Lemon bars? I was thinking that a bar cookie would be better than a cake, because they can eat it with their fingers. This is for the family during the 4-hours of viewing. What would you suggest?

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

June 19th, 2011, 10:26 pm #2

raspberry bar cookies, white chocolate blondies, and Snickerdoodles.

Blessings,

Bethann

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

June 20th, 2011, 12:02 am #3

Someone else is in charge of the healthy snacks. I am taking 2-3 sweet snacks. I was thinking brownies, Snickerdoodles, and...what else? Good ol' chocolate chip cookies? A bundt cake? Lemon bars? I was thinking that a bar cookie would be better than a cake, because they can eat it with their fingers. This is for the family during the 4-hours of viewing. What would you suggest?

Blessings,

Bethann

But I wanted to express my condolences if this is a family member of yours.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

June 20th, 2011, 1:52 am #4

I'm sorry for your loss Bethann.

I'm not any help either, as we do food for the family coming up to the funeral, and a big meal for the funeral, but I've not seen any food at the viewing either, although our visitation is about 2 hours, not 4 hours.

glendaMO

June 20th, 2011, 11:24 am #5

But I wanted to express my condolences if this is a family member of yours.

------
The road to success is always under construction.
It's kind of the trend around here now. People only have one day of viewing, and then the funeral the next day. Sometimes the viewing is immediately before the funeral now, too. I think it must save $$? No idea. It's very different from what I remember, too. It's hard on the family to have to stand there for three or four hours, shaking everyone's hands, hugging, etc.

This was a friend of ours from church, not family. Thank you for the condolences. He was a very good man and will be sorely missed.

Also had another loss this weekend. A 17 yo friend of ours was bridge jumping with some friends and landed on a boat passing underneath. He is paralyzed from about the waist down. They are hoping that he may regain feeling in his lower half, but the surgeon said it is not likely. Very sad. Kids have been jumping off this bridge since they built it a few years ago, but it is like a 40 foot drop into about 7 feet of water in a man made channel. It's lucky no one has been seriously injured before this. Usually there is someone spotting for boats, but no one was looking when he jumped. Had to swim to shore on his own. Boat owners had injuries from his fall, so they were dealing with that. So lucky he is alive. CRAZINESS.

And of course I work today, too! Running back and forth to hospital this weekend, funeral stuff. None of it for my own immediate family, but these are two families we love very much. You know how that goes. You want to be there to support but your own life doesn't slow down to allow it. You just have to fit it in.

Anyway, thanks. The cookies and bars turned out really nice. Have to bake a couple of pies for the funeral when I get home tonight.

Blessings,

Bethann

June 20th, 2011, 1:58 pm #6

When my Dad died last fall, his visitation was 3 - 7 pm the day before the funeral, at the church. We had a room off the "viewing area" for family where we kept snacks and food, since the viewing was so long and over the dinner hour (it was also where my teenaged nieces and nephews could hang out when they got sick of being with adults LOL). How nice of friends and family to think of providing the food -- we didn't think of it until about two minutes into the visitation, when my stepmom gave my nephew cash and instructed him to go buy "something appropriate" at the grocery store. I'll let your imagination guide you on what a 17 YO boy thought was approrpriate....hint....there was a LOT of sugar there
Last edited by DarcyMae on June 20th, 2011, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 20th, 2011, 11:38 pm #7

Last night, we went to one, 6-8 pm, funeral was today.

We are also seeing a lot of visitations just prior to the funeral, but still no food.

It's a nice idea, but something that hasn't 'caught on' here yet.
glendaMO

June 21st, 2011, 2:14 am #8

have snacks/drinks provided by the funeral home. they do a good job too.

then friends/church provide the dinner after the funeral.

Myra in West Texas

June 21st, 2011, 4:56 am #9

Blessings,

Bethann

I would want Nanaimo Bars, but probably your grieving people won't.

June 21st, 2011, 3:16 pm #10

Blessings,

Bethann

Most of the visitations around here are for two days, most typically 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m., followed by the funeral on the third day. That's nice in some ways because the visitors are spread out, but I can tell you from experience that it makes for two VERY long days. Most of the immediate family usually meets at another family member's house for the dinner break.

I only know of one FH in my area that allows food, and that's a relatively new (and very large) building. They have a separate lounge/kitchen area and all food must be kept in that room. Ive been told that it's a state law that no food can be taken into the viewing rooms. Most of the FHs in this area seem to be in older buildings (a lot of them are converted houses with the owners living upstairs) and have very small lounges and simply don't have the space for a kitchen/eating area.

On another funeral-related note, I understand that my area (SW PA) is one of the few areas of the country where people still prefer full couch caskets (where the whole top is one piece rather than being split in two). Ive only been to one funeral with the half-couch casket and that was in Florida.

There's also a local funeral home that has a rather disconcerting display of "caskets from around the world" (yes, that's what the sign says). You have to pass by this display to get to the restrooms. It's very odd and yet fascinating at the same time.

For some reason, I find this kind of odd triva interesting.

Edited to change title of post
Last edited by MaryHinPA on June 21st, 2011, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.