Which language would you choose in grade 6?

Which language would you choose in grade 6?

May 9th, 2012, 12:10 am #1

My school-smart niece was trying to make a decision for next years grade 6 curriculum choices. The choices are
French
Italian
Latin
Spanish

What did you choose or what would you suggest?

May 9th, 2012, 1:24 am #2

If so (most likely Spanish) then I would encourage the child to chose it. That being said, if the child wants to study a specific one--go with that. The motivation will be there to learn it. I am studying Spanish as an adult because there is a need for it in my workplace. My children both chose German in school and do well with it in class. Opportunities to use it here are slim, but they both would like to visit or live in Germany sometime.

--Kim

May 9th, 2012, 1:36 am #3

My school-smart niece was trying to make a decision for next years grade 6 curriculum choices. The choices are
French
Italian
Latin
Spanish

all other languages except Latin, will be easy after that one. French is spoken in almost as many places as Spanish and the Spanish your kids would learn would most likely be classic spanish and not the latin american versions of mexico, central america or south america.

May 9th, 2012, 1:48 am #4

French
Italian
Latin
Spanish

oh I wish I had learned some latin. My granny knew it a little bit. Biology and even many words have a basis in Latin, and it helps (based on what I observed of those in school who had some latin in high school)

otherwise, Spanish is the easiest.

but French is fun.

Myra in West Texas

May 9th, 2012, 2:48 am #5

If so (most likely Spanish) then I would encourage the child to chose it. That being said, if the child wants to study a specific one--go with that. The motivation will be there to learn it. I am studying Spanish as an adult because there is a need for it in my workplace. My children both chose German in school and do well with it in class. Opportunities to use it here are slim, but they both would like to visit or live in Germany sometime.

--Kim
Any language that interests them is likely to be the one they will learn the best. If they live in an area near where French is spoken (such as Quebec), that might be helpful. Where I live, they would have many more opportunities to use Spanish. I think Spanish might be the easiest to learn, too. If you don't use it, you will lose it...which I have learned the hard way.

May 9th, 2012, 12:51 pm #6

French
Italian
Latin
Spanish

She is now down to Latin ( for future law school or allied health) or Spanish (just because it is widely spoken).

None of these languages are spoke around her area besides English. There are some neighbors who speak Swedish, Finnish, but they also speak very good English and themselves consider their original languages fading out.

May 9th, 2012, 6:39 pm #7

Spanish is as widely spoken as English in some parts of the US. Plus, it is more widely spoken worldwide. I took Spanish from Grade 7 to Grade 12 plus a year in college and did fine using it in Spain, Mexico and the Caribbean. Yes, the dialect is a bit different in Spain vs Mexico but nothing major (it's much like spoken English is a bit different in New York than it is in the deep South).

There have been times when I've envied people with a Latin background. Historical and medical terms often derive from Latin roots. Spanish, French, and Italian all derive from ancient Latin so if you know Latin it's easier to learn those "romance" languages.

Kera, are you in MN/WI/ND? I'm trying to figure out where else you might be around native Swedish and Finnish speakers. I know that there are a few churches in northern MN that still hold their services in those languages. There's a Norwegian church in Minneapolis that hold the only (to my knowledge) Norwegian service in the area too.