What new skill have you learned?

What new skill have you learned?

April 17th, 2012, 4:19 am #1

I have learned to swim! I started lessons 6 weeks ago. I've known how to "swim" for years, but I didn't know how to breathe properly and I flailed around in the water, which really affects endurance, and not in a good way. Anyhow, I have learned to breathe and improved my stroke. I have been taking lessons on Tuesdays and swimming laps on Thursdays. Last Thursday, I swam two lengths of the pool 7 times, three lengths once (I'm going to work on that some more tomorrow), and single lengths numerous times, plus backstroke whenever I got tired. I swam steadily the whole time--usually rested a few seconds (no more than a minute) between laps. I'm swimming twice a week and enjoying it. My arthritis is better, too. My goal now is to get good at it!

What new skill(s) have you learned? (Note to StaceyK: I can teach you to bake a potato, LOL).

April 17th, 2012, 11:02 am #2

I'm learning to navigate my library's web page. It has lots of interesting stuff not just the reserve section I mostly use.

April 17th, 2012, 12:54 pm #3

I have learned to swim! I started lessons 6 weeks ago. I've known how to "swim" for years, but I didn't know how to breathe properly and I flailed around in the water, which really affects endurance, and not in a good way. Anyhow, I have learned to breathe and improved my stroke. I have been taking lessons on Tuesdays and swimming laps on Thursdays. Last Thursday, I swam two lengths of the pool 7 times, three lengths once (I'm going to work on that some more tomorrow), and single lengths numerous times, plus backstroke whenever I got tired. I swam steadily the whole time--usually rested a few seconds (no more than a minute) between laps. I'm swimming twice a week and enjoying it. My arthritis is better, too. My goal now is to get good at it!

What new skill(s) have you learned? (Note to StaceyK: I can teach you to bake a potato, LOL).
How to recognize a cuff leak on an intubated pt, draw labs off a a-line, give meds for rapid sequence intubation, document an incredible ammt of information and how to set up the monitors for various devices...

It just goes on and on...........this is my year of "work" related growth. My theme for the year was " become an awesome ICU nurse" and I am still working on it. LOL!

April 17th, 2012, 1:27 pm #4

Algebra. The group tutoring session is not cutting it for me anymore. I start with individual tutoring tomorrow. I was enjoying college til I hit the math portion.

I recently learned some new tricks with the copier at work. You have to be a rocket scientist to use this thing, it has features I've never understood. But lately I've been playing around, and learned a few new things that have made my life a little easier.

I've learned that if I don't make time for myself, I get cranky. Is that a skill?

April 17th, 2012, 2:00 pm #5

We said we wanted a flat drywall finish on our basement walls, but our drywaller did not do a great job. I think I'm going to try to skim coat them rather than texture them. If I fail, we can always texture later.

I've been learning about Drupel, which is a web development software. Luckily I don't have to know much, but knowing some is helpful as we transition our work website over.

I don't think I've learned much else.

April 17th, 2012, 3:25 pm #6

I'm working on my surface embroidery and learning new stitches. I'm also doing a basic crazy quilting class.

April 17th, 2012, 7:11 pm #7

I tried to take adult swimming lessons a few years ago and they didn't help. I can dog paddle and get around but I can't do the freestyle stroke w/ rotary breathing. Anytime I go under I hold my nose. I spent about 3-4 weeks of lessons trying to get comfortable going under without holding my nose but it didn't work. I always feel like water is rushing up my nose and I panic!
Good for you to stick with it and get good at it!
Jaime

April 17th, 2012, 7:16 pm #8

I am so glad you learned to swim - it is great.

My 92 year old mom attributes being able to walk on her own without a cane to water aerobics. She was a swim instructor for years, but took up aerobics about 25 years ago.

April 17th, 2012, 9:11 pm #9

I tried to take adult swimming lessons a few years ago and they didn't help. I can dog paddle and get around but I can't do the freestyle stroke w/ rotary breathing. Anytime I go under I hold my nose. I spent about 3-4 weeks of lessons trying to get comfortable going under without holding my nose but it didn't work. I always feel like water is rushing up my nose and I panic!
Good for you to stick with it and get good at it!
Jaime
But I "bubble, bubble, bubble" the whole time I am underwater--breathing OUT the whole time. I turn my head sideways, so my nose is out of the water, on about the 4th stroke (sometimes the 6th). This is when I gasp for air, LOL. When I "learned" (note the quotes) as a child, I breathed in and out every other stroke. Except the "out" part, with my face in the water, usually meant holding my breath.

Also, I never got the stroke right before. I always flailed around and tired myself out. This instructor taught me to use my hand like I was pulling up a zipper from my hip to armpit while my arm was underwater, and slightly curve it overhand when I pulled it out of the water. I don't really know how I was taught before, but I was doing more of a "windmill" above and below water. This is a lot less tiring.

Of course, I am no expert. But my familiarity with the water (I was the queen of moving without taking off my glasses or getting my hair wet) made it all pretty fast and easy to learn. My cohort in the class is still getting over being afraid of the water. I'm so fat and fluffy I can't keep from floating if I try, LOL.

If you want to learn to swim, and you can already sort of do it (I suspect Jaime and I were swim twins separated at birth), try a few private lessons. That's how my friend Betsy got onto it and what she recommended to me. However, I was too cheap, and opted for group lessons instead. Since there were only two of us in the class, I got a lot of personal attention and picked up on it pretty fast. If I hadn't, I'd be in private lessons now. When you decide to learn something at my age, you do whatever it takes.

BTW, I missed class today. When I got there, I discovered I'd left my bag at home, although I had my swimming suit on underneath my clothes. They could have loaned me a towel, but I would have had to either go to a meeting afterward in a wet bathing suit...or commando. Uh, no--times two.
Last edited by MaxineS on April 17th, 2012, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 17th, 2012, 10:13 pm #10

I learned how to take brick off a house without breaking it. Now if I can learn to clean the brick without breaking it, I can save some money.

------
The road to success is always under construction.