What is your Thanksgiving weekend like?

What is your Thanksgiving weekend like?

November 9th, 2010, 10:35 pm #1

The weekend before, we are going to my mom's and meeing dd#2 there. I talked to mom last night and suggested we go do something. Movie, shopping, whatever. Anything other than sitting in the house with the tv on. Now the question is what is there that we would all want to do - other than dinner out and a movie.

The Next Fifty Years

November 10th, 2010, 1:11 am #2

Dinner and a movie on either Friday or Saturday. A little cheaper option: lunch and a matinee. If the weather is nice, you could go for a hike, but this would probably exclude grandma.

November 10th, 2010, 11:49 am #3

The weekend before, we are going to my mom's and meeing dd#2 there. I talked to mom last night and suggested we go do something. Movie, shopping, whatever. Anything other than sitting in the house with the tv on. Now the question is what is there that we would all want to do - other than dinner out and a movie.

The Next Fifty Years
Right now it looks like (soon to be) ex and older son are going down to NJ for the Night before and day of thanksgiving, comeing home on Friday. For me, I am off Wednesday- my usual day off, which is good because my 2 younger kids both have a half day of school. I will spend Wednesday afternoon making cranberry sauce, apple pie and chocolate cream pie. Thanksgiving we go to lunch at my moms, bringing cranberry sauce and apple pie. My mom asked if she can have the younger 2 kids over night that night, so I accepted an invite to a friends for a dinner party... where I am bringing the chocolate cream pie. Friday I get the younger two kids from my parents and older Ds goes to my parents house... Saturday the younger kids go to their dads for the night, so I will get a little alone time till Sunday afternoon. My X is having a housewarming party Saturday so I will stop in there and bring him a house warming present, when I drop off the kids. I am off Friday-not going back in to work till Monday. I am hoping to avoid stores Thanksgiving weekend... We'll see.

November 10th, 2010, 1:07 pm #4

The Next Fifty Years
we usually toggle years bt my family/going to his family's (dinner at MIL's with her mother and sister, then the afternoon with FIL's family). Friday - DH goes Black Friday shopping at o'dark hundred, i start getting the xmas decor ready.

A year ago - mil/fil retired to delaware and this is the first holiday season with out my dad - we will be taking my mom and spinster sister to DE. Not that we won't miss dad, but i think it'd be worse for mom to miss him in her own house, or in my house or my other sister's house, since we've all done Thanksgiving.

Dh and his mother will hit the outlets at midnight, I will likely just sit around lamenting that i can't get MY xmas decorating started LOL! We may come home Saturday - DS9 got an invite to a friend's bday Sunday... if we're home - it'll be like any other weekend, laundry laundry laundry!

edited for MAJOR typos
Last edited by stina716 on November 10th, 2010, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 10th, 2010, 3:33 pm #5

Right now it looks like (soon to be) ex and older son are going down to NJ for the Night before and day of thanksgiving, comeing home on Friday. For me, I am off Wednesday- my usual day off, which is good because my 2 younger kids both have a half day of school. I will spend Wednesday afternoon making cranberry sauce, apple pie and chocolate cream pie. Thanksgiving we go to lunch at my moms, bringing cranberry sauce and apple pie. My mom asked if she can have the younger 2 kids over night that night, so I accepted an invite to a friends for a dinner party... where I am bringing the chocolate cream pie. Friday I get the younger two kids from my parents and older Ds goes to my parents house... Saturday the younger kids go to their dads for the night, so I will get a little alone time till Sunday afternoon. My X is having a housewarming party Saturday so I will stop in there and bring him a house warming present, when I drop off the kids. I am off Friday-not going back in to work till Monday. I am hoping to avoid stores Thanksgiving weekend... We'll see.
Make him a batch of his favorite food that you know he'd never make for himself. He probably needs a good meal a lot more than he needs another do-dad (even though he lost at least half of the do-dads in the divorce).

November 11th, 2010, 1:49 am #6

The Next Fifty Years
I work on Sat/Sunday, but I will be off on Thanksgiving, and Friday.

Thanksgiving will start early with the local Turkey Trot, 5K I'm walking (hopefully running a short distance of it) with dh and the kids, and grands.

We will have our Thanksgiving lunch shortly after noon at my sisters house, just 20 minutes away - along with our parents, all her family, in laws, and several extended family members and friends. Turkey/dressing and all the fixings. We'll visit, and clean the mess, and play some cards, the kids will play outside.

Friday I will be off, depending on the weather, we may make the trip to Branson, to Silver Dollar City as a family, to see the Christmas lights.

Saturday morning, I will be up and on my way to work at 5am, so we won't be out too late on Friday.

glendaMO

November 11th, 2010, 2:05 am #7

The Next Fifty Years
I have no idea. I can't remember what, if anything, I did for Thanksgiving last year.. Years prior to that going back to 2001 or so I worked (all holidays, actually). So far this year I'm not scheduled to work that day, but it could still change. If I do end up with the day off I doubt I will do anything creative or exciting.

November 11th, 2010, 4:08 am #8

The Next Fifty Years
Thanksgiving will be at my house, this is a FIRST.My mom always hosted Thanksgiving and cooked everything but dessert.My sister and I are doing our best to keep traditions going as my family is steeped in tradition. Not looking for sympathy just telling it like it is.
I will have to work a minimum of 3 hours the day after. If I want any black friday deals my sister will gladly pick them up. We refer to it as her national holiday. Hopefully we will follow tradition and get a $10 cut your own tree from 3 miles up the road on Friday. I usually spend the rest of the weekend decorating, listening to Christmas Carols and watching Christmas movies...time will tell.