What have you gotten lately for FREE?

What have you gotten lately for FREE?

January 1st, 2010, 5:37 am #1

You know, I'm usually the one giving things away--so when I get something free, it's a real thrill!

A friend died about 6 weeks ago and her DD is here, cleaning out her mother's things. She knew I am on the prowl for wool blankets, and today she gave me one! (of course, I was helping haul things away...but still). It's about 55-60 years old and in pretty good shape, although the binding is non-existent on one end and in pretty sad shape on the other. However, I discovered you can still buy blanket binding. I was all set to teach myself the blanket stitch when Mary told me she can do it on her machine!

This isn't the same kind of freebie, but my friend LindaW gave me her grandmother's wool blanket for Christmas. I got a little weepy and didn't want to take it, but she explained she doesn't have anyone to leave it to (not that I expect her to be leaving us anytime soon!) and this way, it can be handed down in my family. It's a knock-off of a Hudson's Bay blanket, made in Ohio, and from the '20s or '30s.

I'm still looking for things for the cabin-to-be. My budget is $1,000 for everything. I just missed a free queen size bed frame on freecycle.com. I'll keep hoping!

Sheila sent me a piece of fabric with skeletons and roses on it--DD will love it! Still trying to decide what to make with it.

Now it's your turn to tell us about your freebies.
Last edited by MaxineS on January 1st, 2010, 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 1st, 2010, 1:22 pm #2

a organizer to carry to the store. It needed to carry my coupons, glasses, pencil, paper and calculator. I hadn't decided how I was going to do it yet, still in the thinking stage. I was talking about it and sonny gave me a zipper organizer he had from school.

It is the right size but I had to adapt it for my needs. Took out the notebook part which left the shell and pockets. These work but I wanted to carry it on my shoulder so I could have my hands free. So I added grommets to the spine then a strap works great.

He also gave me a large zippered notebook which I'm going to use for recipes.

January 1st, 2010, 4:04 pm #3

You know, I'm usually the one giving things away--so when I get something free, it's a real thrill!

A friend died about 6 weeks ago and her DD is here, cleaning out her mother's things. She knew I am on the prowl for wool blankets, and today she gave me one! (of course, I was helping haul things away...but still). It's about 55-60 years old and in pretty good shape, although the binding is non-existent on one end and in pretty sad shape on the other. However, I discovered you can still buy blanket binding. I was all set to teach myself the blanket stitch when Mary told me she can do it on her machine!

This isn't the same kind of freebie, but my friend LindaW gave me her grandmother's wool blanket for Christmas. I got a little weepy and didn't want to take it, but she explained she doesn't have anyone to leave it to (not that I expect her to be leaving us anytime soon!) and this way, it can be handed down in my family. It's a knock-off of a Hudson's Bay blanket, made in Ohio, and from the '20s or '30s.

I'm still looking for things for the cabin-to-be. My budget is $1,000 for everything. I just missed a free queen size bed frame on freecycle.com. I'll keep hoping!

Sheila sent me a piece of fabric with skeletons and roses on it--DD will love it! Still trying to decide what to make with it.

I got a really nice bedside table that is going to look fantastic with a coat of black spray paint and a new silver knob!

I also got a swim suit from Freecycle, and it fits perfectly, she said she got it, tried it on, wore it twice and never used it... it looks brand new, and for "free" for a $50+ swim suit I can get over my squeam factor!

Sheila

January 2nd, 2010, 12:16 am #4

...on specially marked boxes of $42 at a store near you

on sale at waldgreens and i had a $3.00 coupon too!

January 2nd, 2010, 4:27 am #5

you know you can get a prescription for that stuff, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than OTC? I pay $5.88 for a three months supply...

January 2nd, 2010, 4:54 am #6

I'm going to ask my dr for an Rx. He has me taking 2 per day.

The Next Fifty Years

January 2nd, 2010, 5:01 am #7

I take it, too. I pay $6 for a 90-day supply through the mailorder pharmacy connected with my prescription plan.

January 2nd, 2010, 5:12 am #8

I'm going to ask my dr for an Rx. He has me taking 2 per day.

The Next Fifty Years
for prescription strength - not over the counter strength to get the insurance company to pay - or at least that's how our insurance works. Dh gets it in 40mg (I believe) capsules, and takes one/day.
glendaMO

January 2nd, 2010, 5:32 am #9

my scrip is for the 20mg capsules. Actually that seemed to surprise the doc here when I asked if they could renew it for me...

January 2nd, 2010, 6:10 am #10

nt