what have you got to use up?

what have you got to use up?

November 3rd, 2010, 10:54 am #1

I wrote about my "elbow situation" and am planning to use some of those up... I now have one very large cooked butternut squash to use up and a whole lot of potatoes. One child requested scalloped potatoes and I have some rather thick lunch meat ham that will be perfect in those- making that tomorrow night, another kid requested "smashed potatoes so will also make that...

What have you got to use up?

November 4th, 2010, 2:06 am #2

Canned beans... GF cereal... Fruit and veg.

I have a reasonable amount of each. I don't really have anything to 'use up.' Fresh food doesn't get better with age, though, does it?

November 5th, 2010, 7:23 pm #3

I wrote about my "elbow situation" and am planning to use some of those up... I now have one very large cooked butternut squash to use up and a whole lot of potatoes. One child requested scalloped potatoes and I have some rather thick lunch meat ham that will be perfect in those- making that tomorrow night, another kid requested "smashed potatoes so will also make that...

I was going to make a Texas Sheet Cake today to take to an event tonight and just realized I don't have enough sugar, and my flour is really low too. I buy these at Aldi's and it's not close enough for me to pop over right now and get it. I was thisclose to making a run to Kroger to get them and went through my pantry to see what I had on hand to work with. I'm going to make an apple and pear crisp instead with the abundance of those I have on hand right now. The pears are at the point that they really must be eaten so that should be perfect.

November 5th, 2010, 9:28 pm #4

Tons of them. I never think about cooking them until dinner time though.

The Next Fifty Years

November 6th, 2010, 1:55 am #5

get up and go put them on to soak overnight - and you can cook them tomorrow.
glendaMO

November 6th, 2010, 2:33 am #6

I have a ton and I am itching to buy more but not until I use some up. Tonight I made DH a pair of jammie pants and I am taking a break from making the curtains for the toy room that I started a few months ago. I also have a pile ready to make much needed jammies for the family - I make actually make some for myself as well.

November 6th, 2010, 8:20 am #7

get up and go put them on to soak overnight - and you can cook them tomorrow.
Go and put those beans on to soak. We eat beans about twice per week. My husband could eat them every meal. Yesterday we had white beans with lamb. Yum!

November 6th, 2010, 10:35 am #8

Tons of them. I never think about cooking them until dinner time though.

The Next Fifty Years
I have been thinking a simular thought. I have 2 lbs black beans, one lb of some kind of white beans and 1 lb black eyed peas....

I soaked and cooked 1 lb of the black beans and froze them so next time I want chili or anything with black beans they are ready. The white beans I think I will soak/cook and use half of around christmas time to make some home made baked beans to go with the ham. No plans for the black eyed peas tho.

Just soaking them usually makes me use them, well that plus freezing them each as 1/4 of that batch... then if they are done like that, i am so much more likely to use them.

November 6th, 2010, 7:17 pm #9

I have a can of coconut milk I bought for a recipe that never happened. Anyone have an idea to share that uses this?

Also have a ton of dried milk to use.

November 6th, 2010, 11:43 pm #10

I just got through rearranging my pantry and taking mental inventory.

I've got 3 cans water chestnuts in my cabinet, not sure what possessed me to get them, I use them in a lipton dip over the holidays - so I've made a mental note to USE them this winter.

I also have 2 boxes of Beignet mix - they're good, but no one around here needs a reason to eat a fried food. What possessed me to buy it?

I've also got couscous in my cabinet, I have never cooked with it, and dh doesn't think he likes it - I need someone to give me a recipe/suggestion how to prepare it so he doesn't revolt.
glendaMO