What happened to the motel 6 being cheap?

What happened to the motel 6 being cheap?

May 8th, 2012, 12:46 am #1

I'm in the planning stages of a long trip out to Moab, Utah and a few other places with my brother and two of my kids in June. he wants to camp everyday, I hate camping but oh that's a whole other store. I just did a quick search at motel6.com to see what the rate was for when we'd be there. It quoted me 89.99 plus tax a night!!
Now I was only pulling up Motel 6 because that is where we always stayed growing up and my brother is VERY frugal. We normally stay at nicer places and gosh for cheaper than the 89.99 a night price!!
waahhh now I'll be camping the whole trip! I'll never be able to convince my brother to stay a motel at all at those prices!
Jaime

May 8th, 2012, 1:20 am #2

...they are cheaper than all of the leading chains. They don't say they are cheap, or that they're the cheapest. I live in a resort area and the Motel 6 here goes up to $89.99 per night in high summer--never lower than $33.99 in the middle of the week in the dead of winter. Moab would be at least as expensive as Coeur d'Alene, and maybe more so. My best advice is to look for a motel for under $110 a night that offers a free breakfast. Motel 6 does not. You will stay in a bigger room that's maybe a little nicer, and you'll save the extra $$$ on the breakfast.

If you camp near Moab, we stayed at a Utah state park called Dead Horse Gulch (or something like that), and it was pretty spectacular.

May 8th, 2012, 12:42 pm #3

I'm in the planning stages of a long trip out to Moab, Utah and a few other places with my brother and two of my kids in June. he wants to camp everyday, I hate camping but oh that's a whole other store. I just did a quick search at motel6.com to see what the rate was for when we'd be there. It quoted me 89.99 plus tax a night!!
Now I was only pulling up Motel 6 because that is where we always stayed growing up and my brother is VERY frugal. We normally stay at nicer places and gosh for cheaper than the 89.99 a night price!!
waahhh now I'll be camping the whole trip! I'll never be able to convince my brother to stay a motel at all at those prices!
Jaime
What we do when we're on a driving trip and don't know how far we'll get is to pick up a coupon magazine at a rest area. The coupons are listed by exit number or area and you can compare several that way pretty quickly. I browse through the book while dh is driving, estimate how far we'll get and look at exits near there. Find a cheap place and stop. There are often limitations like $5 more for more than x people, not good on holiday weekends, some aren't good on weekends at all. But we've never gotten to a place and had them not take the coupon. I wouldn't do it in a big tourist city though.

May 8th, 2012, 12:44 pm #4

I forgot to add that I'd pay just about anything to avoid camping! I'd be happy to never camp again in my entire life. lol

May 8th, 2012, 3:29 pm #5

I despise camping.

May 8th, 2012, 4:15 pm #6

This is just a vacation with my brother we have 2 other trips planned. I can't afford to pay 89.99 for 10 nights, which is how long the trip is. Unfortunately it sounds like we will be camping.....
Jaime

May 8th, 2012, 4:21 pm #7

I despise camping.
After one night, I'd be done, and the rest of the campers would be glad to see me gone.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

May 8th, 2012, 7:06 pm #8

This is just a vacation with my brother we have 2 other trips planned. I can't afford to pay 89.99 for 10 nights, which is how long the trip is. Unfortunately it sounds like we will be camping.....
Jaime
That's been many years (since 1982??), but maybe you can think of it as an "adventure."

May 8th, 2012, 7:54 pm #9

Jaime
I never would have agreed to that! My kids camp with my husband, so they are not deprived. Hopefully you have nice camping gear. Our neighbors camp a lot and love it. They have really nice equipment and cooking stuff. One thing she does is freeze taco meat and chili in Food Saver bags to boil over the campfire for a few meals. That way they clean-up is fairly easy. I guess that's part of the reason I hate camping so much - it's just so much WORK! Then you have to come home and clean up all the mess. I'm sorry you have to go camping, but I bet the kids will love you for going.

May 8th, 2012, 9:02 pm #10

Jaime
However, I've changed my mind. I'm done camping because it's me that does all the work. I would suggest that you talk to your brother about the division of labor before you leave. Plan for really simple meals (sandwiches and canned soup, etc.) and who will prepare them and who will clean them up. For breakfast, you should be the one to clean up while he and the kids break camp. Yes, cold cereal and milk are fine!